The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I haven't played hockey in two years. I'm looking to get back in shape, and want to do a three day 1x2x3xx full body routine. Heres what I've got so far:

Day 1:

-Squats

-Step-Ups

-Overhead/Military Press

-Lat Pulldown

-Hanging leg raises

-Dumbbell Side raises

Day 2:

-Lunges

-Deadlifts

-Bench Press

-Row

-Crunches

Day 3:

-Box Jumps

-Step Ups

-Dips

-Upright rows

-Russian twists

-Dumbbell front raises

I'm also planning on tacking on roughly 30 minutes of cardio after each workout. I like swimming, so thats probably what I'll go for. The gym I go to has a pool, so that works out nicely.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by Bitter Melon

Same, 4 in 6 days however. (Week before that was busy with tons of homework and quizzes) So I really do not have any time to waste, haven't even been able to play GTA online for more than 20 minutes :(

2 more days and we are both free :)

Edit: do you still pound the calories when not lifting? If Im not going to the gym for an extended period of time I pull back on the calories to an amount where I'd be "cutting"

I only eat big, when I lift, dont want to go through a huge bulk where I'll cut for over month, so I just go a little over maintenance.

Yup. If I don't, I usually lose on average 5lb when going through exams. Sometimes more. Some people gain weight during exams, I don't. It's really whatever works best for you.

Good luck man. I'm probably gonna buy GTA the day my exams are done lol

I'm also planning on tacking on roughly 30 minutes of cardio after each workout. I like swimming, so thats probably what I'll go for. The gym I go to has a pool, so that works out nicely. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Go for it. No impact, full body. Don't be surprised if you gain weight. I remember reading that your body temp is lower and you feel more hungry after swimming than other types of exercises so you tend to eat.. mind you, i don't remember where i read that so it could've been just testimonials rather than having any science behind it. my mechanic wanted to lose weight and went back to swimming and gained weight so there may be something to it..

I like swimming, long distance blading, the stationary bicycle and the rowing machine for cardio.

Update on my drama:

Haven't stopped going, still haven't visted the other gym which I hope to soon since I want to hit those compound lifts there a few times a week. I keep to myself, I do notice chumps looking at me and thinking there intimidating me.

Hey guys, need some help here on cutting.

I'm going 3-4 days a week to the gym and got a nice workout routine going, but when it comes to my diet, I'm so damn confused. I understand that a low amount of carbs is the key to losing fat while running a calorie deficit? But then some people are saying that some carbs like kidney beans are fine because they're considered to be "slow carbs?"

Right now this is what I usually eat:

Breakfast:

Veggie Frittata (around 4 eggs)

Homemade granola (just a bunch of nuts and oats) mixed with non-fat Greek Yogurt

Lunch:

A bit of brown rice with chicken breast and veggies

Dinner:

Chilli with lean ground beef, veggies, and beans.

And on days I workout, I usually eat that with a protein shake that I mix with banana, milk, and greek yogurt.

So are carbs really that bad in terms of gaining fat? Any other suggestions in burning fat? Thanks guys!

I'm going 3-4 days a week to the gym and got a nice workout routine going, but when it comes to my diet, I'm so damn confused. I understand that a low amount of carbs is the key to losing fat while running a calorie deficit? But then some people are saying that some carbs like kidney beans are fine because they're considered to be "slow carbs?"

Breakfast:

Homemade granola (just a bunch of nuts and oats) mixed with non-fat Greek Yogurt

Lunch:

Dinner:

And on days I workout, I usually eat that with a protein shake that I mix with banana, milk, and greek yogurt.

So are carbs really that bad in terms of gaining fat? Any other suggestions in burning fat? Thanks guys!

Just eat lower than your maintenance calories and you're good to go. Doesn't matter how much carbs you get, but then again guess everyone's different. I lowered my sugar intake and calories and that was that

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Carbs are NOT the enemy and keeping them low while trying to lose fat is asinine IMO.

Losing fat is all about being in a calorie deficit (taking in less than you burn). The ONLY reason you should be doing low carb while losing weight (assuming protein intake is 1-1.25 g/lb bodyweight as that is all you need) is if it helps with compliance.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should keep some carbs in because I felt absolutely exhausted after writing my midterm today, but there are still a lot of opinions out there that suggest keeping carbs to a low level. I'll see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

And is maintenance simply just body weight x 15?

Update on my drama:

Haven't stopped going, still haven't visted the other gym which I hope to soon since I want to hit those compound lifts there a few times a week. I keep to myself, I do notice chumps looking at me and thinking there intimidating me.

Do you go to the gym stoned? Only way I see your problem. Weed makes you self centered and paranoid thinking everyone is out to get you.

Whered you get your wrist straps PlayStation?

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=21975856

Since I used them for quite awhile after my wrist pains, I guess it really helped them fully get better and now I CAN do sll the excercises without them, however on bicep and tricep day I choose to wear them just incase. Preacher curls and etc I'm pretty sure were a huge reason for the injury. Probably would use them for the bench press too, however off the bench press for now. Plus when I do dumbbell presses they arent 60, 70 pounds so I'm good to go without them there too. Prefer to lift a bit lower and get full contractions push with only the muscles i'm working on and now be using my shoulders a lot to push the dumbbells up.

But you'll see what you may want to use them for, since your routine and body is probably a lot different than mine.

was on vacation for 6 weeks. lost my damn gains. so rattttled.

You'll get them back quick, trust me.

Went to aqua fit yesterday with the missus.

Needless to say, I was the only guy there and we were the youngest people by about 40 years.

It was actually a really good workout, it was an hour long and it's all underwater resistance type stuff. I could feel it afterwards throughout the day even though I didn't necessarily feel gassed during the actual workout.

Best part about it, my back feels fine so far today!

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

People tend to cut carbs because it's the easiest thing to cut to lose calories. Carbs are the easy target because you don't want to cut your protein intake.

http://www.sportchek...ductId=21975856

Since I used them for quite awhile after my wrist pains, I guess it really helped them fully get better and now I CAN do sll the excercises without them, however on bicep and tricep day I choose to wear them just incase. Preacher curls and etc I'm pretty sure were a huge reason for the injury. Probably would use them for the bench press too, however off the bench press for now. Plus when I do dumbbell presses they arent 60, 70 pounds so I'm good to go without them there too. Prefer to lift a bit lower and get full contractions push with only the muscles i'm working on and now be using my shoulders a lot to push the dumbbells up.

But you'll see what you may want to use them for, since your routine and body is probably a lot different than mine.

Interesting. I've never seen lifting wrist wraps before. I'm only familiar with the boxing wraps which are much longer to wrap around the knuckles.

Went to aqua fit yesterday with the missus.

Needless to say, I was the only guy there and we were the youngest people by about 40 years.

It was actually a really good workout, it was an hour long and it's all underwater resistance type stuff. I could feel it afterwards throughout the day even though I didn't necessarily feel gassed during the actual workout.

Best part about it, my back feels fine so far today!

Heeeyyy, your back pain sounds like it's getting better then! Good!

@key2thecup

I know what you mean. Had a string of friends, family, and my dog dying over the last month and it's all accumulated the past week and put me into a funk that's making me very guarded, withdrawn and angry. I don't bother acting happy if I'm not, which is basically whenever I'm not with friends (it sure is helpful to have good buddies for roommates). And I've noticed this past week when I'm in public, people give me wary looks and tend to avoid me; I guess I give off a hostile vibe. Or maybe it's all in my head because I'm in a bad place. But I get how you're feeling.

But hell, if you're at the gym to work out and not make friends, why care? frack those people, keep doing what you're doing. Though if you do want to go to a new gym, it should be for the reason your current gym sucks (no squat rack? That's 3rd world crap). But still, best cure for sadness is lifting. And weed. And sex. All at once even.

Edited by Captain Aerosex

Anyone else get nauseous? It rarely happens to me but it's happened the last two leg days where I don't finish my workout for fear of having to put my head over the crapper for ten or so minutes. I'm use to this sort of work. It's low rep strength training with lengthy breaks in between. I'm used to pushing myself that hard so I don't get it why this happens.

Obviously this would make much more sense if it was a new cardio regime you're not used to or something but when it's something I've been doing literally for years..