The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Frankly I think the media is making educated guesses and little more. That they "know" those are the 4 "final" candidates...bah!

wait so you think the media is actually uninformed and are just trying to connect the dots they have?

Question: what's the difference between most vancouver sports media and many cdc posters?

Answer: A reasonably easy degree and a paycheck.

wait so you think the media is actually uninformed and are just trying to connect the dots they have?

Question: what's the difference between most vancouver sports media and many cdc posters?

Answer: A reasonably easy degree and a paycheck.

Exactly , they just get paid for there opinion

Irony

Cheer up. It's cdc not a job my friend. Unless you are mod which (looks left) nope. ;)

People come into this thread for news and coaching discussion, all I'm trying to say.

My application is being considered, watch out. ;)

I could care less if Torts won a cup or not and find that to be a over rated thing to use as a consideration when looking for a coach because not all coaches are fortunate enough to have a good enough team to contend for a cup and no system will make a team a contender if the right talent and lucky bounces dont go there way

Tortarella and his attitude with the media would keep me interested in what new distraction he was creating everyday while the product on the ice would be about as exciting to watch as paint drying .

I think Tortarella in a hockey market like Vancouver is an absolute mistake but if your looking for off ice drama it will least keep the team interesting and good for a laugh

I agree & disagree with your statement about cup win being overrated in regards to coaching.

I give him quite a bit of credit for turning Tampa around (weren't they a bottom 5 team the year he took over?) and really got some of the star players to play to their potential (St Louis broke out in 02/03 a year or 2 after tortorella took over) and I believe he also got the best out of Lecavlier & Brad Richards & others.

I also think he has a way of getting his teams to play much better during the playoffs and doesn't tolerate garbage play and from a fans perspective I respect that as too often lately I feel the canucks have been playing lacksadasical (sp?) hockey and just don't seem motivated come playoff time. LA I figured that was just playoff hangover, so they got a mulligan, but no one can deny they looked awful against San Jose. Sure the refs stunk but they hardly scored and as I say it took until the elimination game for them to show that they cared.

Not saying Tortorella is the answer but I think he did quite a bit to get that 2004 Tampa team a cup it wasn't like he inherited a team like Pittsburgh (no disrespect to Dan Bylsma but he had a stacked lineup). I will also say some of New yorks younger players seemed to do alright under Tortorella & in many ways the deal for Rick Nash is what sank him as he lost a bit of depth for a guy that is good but had no proven chemistry with Richards etc.

And just like AV he has been a jack adams finalist & winner

And the Griffins win the Calder Cup.

MG better get on the phone with Detroit in the next couple days and try and land Blashill.

He would be an interesting choice, although I wouldn't mind seeing if he would be willing to go the associate coach route 1st to learn the ropes of being the top dog in the NHL

He would be an interesting choice, although I wouldn't mind seeing if he would be willing to go the associate coach route 1st to learn the ropes of being the top dog in the NHL

Yea, that's what I meant.

It's likely going to be one of Tortorella, Stevens, or Ruff for head coach.

Then hopefully we get someone like Maurice for the assistant position.

And then Blashill would be a great assistant to help mentor our younger players.

MG should be visiting these coaches in their homes and cities, IMO.

If you really want to get to know somebody, spend a day with them. Eat, drink, chat, watch a junior or minor league game together. This interview process seems too formal.

I agree.

Although bringing them here may be part of the sell job on our end by getting them to see the beauty of our city, the training and locker room facilities...etc.

And the Griffins win the Calder Cup.

MG better get on the phone with Detroit in the next couple days and try and land Blashill.

You'd think that the Stars have the inside track there with the Nill conection and it's maybe why they haven't hired their coach yet either. Granted they made a nice offer to AV, but it may be that the plan was that if they couldn't nab the biggest fish available, then Blashill would be their guy. Totally a guess on my part though.

I got a bad feeling it's going to be the Arneil.

Oh God I hope not. I'd rather they just hire Torts then.

I just hope this whole drawn out coaching search isn't just a big sham. But MG is big on loyalty as we all know, and maybe that relationship with Arneil going back to the Moose trumps all.

Arniel has NHL experience albeit it wasn't a long tenture and had a terrible team in Columbus. Really can't see him getting the job. I'm not surprised he's a finalist being that he's within the organization and deserves to get looked at. If we're down to 4 finalists or whatever the actual number is, he's at the very bottom of the list. It's between Torts, Stevens, Ruff.

Is Ruff coming back for a second interview or has he already? Torts and Stevens are getting second interview this week. Wondering if the hire happens towards the end of the week. If it doesn't happen this week, it's going to drag on and cause negativity. Get they want to take their time and hire the right guy, but there is such thing as taking too long.

Found it interesting that when Eakins was brought back a second time it was merely just to collect information. At least that's what I read. I wonder of any of the finalists coming back like Stevens, they will do the same thing.

Archived