The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

So Ruff is potentially coach already? Meh...

If that's true I would think it's because ownership was pushing for Tortorella and Gillis was pushing for Stevens, so they compromise and met in the middle.

Ruff is not as much of a blowhard as Torts, but he'll definitely crack the whip more than Stevens.

My vote is for Stevens at this point though.

If that's true I would think it's because ownership was pushing for Tortorella and Gillis was pushing for Stevens, so they compromise and met in the middle.

Ruff is not as much of a blowhard as Torts, but he'll definitely crack the whip more than Stevens.

My vote is for Stevens at this point though.

If there's a guy that would earn instant respect it would be Ruff. Would love to somehow get Blashill as an assistant.

I like this thread because i'd say 99% of the people in here don't even know how coaches coach behind the scenes and only go with what they've heard from the media.

I'm not saying i know anything because I certainly have no idea who the hell Blashill is or even Stevens, but at least i'm not talking like i do :)

I like this thread because i'd say 99% of the people in here don't even know how coaches coach behind the scenes and only go with what they've heard from the media.

I'm not saying i know anything because I certainly have no idea who the hell Blashill is or even Stevens, but at least i'm not talking like i do :)

I don't know too much about Stevens other than he was horrible when he was a head coach with Philly. Everyone was excited about potentially getting Eakins because one of the good things about him was that he was great at developing rookies and helped Kadri and Gardiner turn into the players they are today, and we thought if he got hired he would help speed up the development of Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev, Corrado etc. With Blashill, he just won the Calder Cup with the Grand Rapids Griffins, who are the Red Wings farm team. And we all know if someone has played/coached in the Detroit system, they're more than likely good ;)

Politely? you guys should read back your posts, hypocrite. You don't mind calling anyone a moron just because they disagree with you, but you sure can't handle it when it comes your way.

end of story.

Disagree?! It is not even that. Its the degree of you staying misinformed...and you being proud of it.

Other users politely referenced you to some "edumacational" info that backs up and informs the topic and references your idiotic bias.

I was purposely douchey and rude to you.

You are CDC/douchy, whiny, misinformed Canuck fan 101, and you were called on it.

Trying to deflect that on people that were polite with you, and on ones that were pricks to you (me, me,me,me) in the face of you just enjoying being ignorant, is futile.

Really, i dont care.

Given the over-paid salaries of Garrison, Ballard and Edler which eats out cap space, the only way to stop a potential fall into mediocrity is to have someone behind the bench like Torts IMO. The question is simple - does Gillis have the guts to hire someone who will call out the big dollar guys when needed? This organization has a horrible track record with drafting and Torts might be their only hope to squeeze out a championship from the aging central pieces we have. I say name Torts GM AND coach because he'd probably do a better job than Gillis would on any day.

I also still don't understand all the criticism about Torts' straight talk when answering questions. Imagine being asked the same thing over and over after every game. At least the guy doesn't make it sound so boring! In fact, he appeals to the typical Canadian fan watching the game at the pub. Isn't it ironic that the media here kept complaining that Vigneault was boring and scripted, and now they're saying they're afraid of Torts!

Given the over-paid salaries of Garrison, Ballard and Edler which eats out cap space, the only way to stop a potential fall into mediocrity is to have someone behind the bench like Torts IMO. The question is simple - does Gillis have the guts to hire someone who will call out the big dollar guys when needed? This organization has a horrible track record with drafting and Torts might be their only hope to squeeze out a championship from the aging central pieces we have. I say name Torts GM AND coach because he'd probably do a better job than Gillis would on any day.

I also still don't understand all the criticism about Torts' straight talk when answering questions. Imagine being asked the same thing over and over after every game. At least the guy doesn't make it sound so boring! In fact, he appeals to the typical Canadian fan watching the game at the pub. Isn't it ironic that the media here kept complaining that Vigneault was boring and scripted, and now they're saying they're afraid of Torts!

Garrison and Edler are underpaid.

If Ruff is hired that will ruin my entire summer. Tortorella is my #1 choice then Stevens. Those are the only 2 coaches left that can help this team moving forward. Now that Tippett is all but gone, Gillis and company better hire quick before they're gone.

Whoever is hired doesn't really improve this team much. It's all about what Gillis does to improve this team and I don't see much happening in the way of bold moves. Essentially, it will be the same team once again despite Gillis saying there would be changes and then Gillman saying fans shouldn't expect any major moves. Canucks and players believe they have another and one last Cup run in them. As they stand right now, they don't have another one. Not unless Gillis makes some major and bold moves.

The thing I like about Torts is how he deflects the attention from the locker room and the players after a bad game. Maybe his antics and great emotion quotes are part of his strategy to deal with a media frenzy. I'd rather the media swarm the coach than constantly get in the face of our players; which could and I believe do effect the players' performance.

I'm fairly certain this is 63 pages of wasted time... If only everyone on CDC got paid be sports reporters/analyts, then we could actually feel useful with our research and speculation that no one really cares about...

Whoever is hired doesn't really improve this team much. It's all about what Gillis does to improve this team and I don't see much happening in the way of bold moves. Essentially, it will be the same team once again despite Gillis saying there would be changes and then Gillman saying fans shouldn't expect any major moves. Canucks and players believe they have another and one last Cup run in them. As they stand right now, they don't have another one. Not unless Gillis makes some major and bold moves.

J529, I hope you didn't mean that in general, coaches don't make a team better. When you consider the amount of decisions a coach makes, including line combinations, PP, PK, starting goaltender, motivational banter, etc etc., the coach has a ton influence on the team. I hate to say it but it didnt look like Vigneault was really innovative. When the PP was 0 for 25, he pretty much kept it as it was. Innovating and applying changes to counter situations during the season and providing an invigorating voice is a lot better than a coach that appears lackadaisical.

Archived