The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

I think what he meant to say is, the coach can only coach the players he's given. I somewhat agree with his statement, our players aren't good enough to compete. They don't have the right mix, the right skill set to become a true contender. That is on MG to get it done. This team is missing some key components to a be contender, the coach can't fix that problem.

The coach can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap (other expletive)

I can agree that it's on Gillis to make the right roster moves to put us over the top and be legitimate contenders, but can you honestly say the team he's helped build is worth only one playoff win in their last two years after getting to game 7 of the SCF? A lot of that is on the coach.

Gillis has made some moves that haven't worked out, but he's also made some that have. More particularly I think he's made ones that will work out as the core built by Burke and Nonis moves on and it'll be on Gillis to find a way to get top end talent to fill in despite being a top team in the NHL year after year. No easy task, but if the team does falter we would get some better draft pics to build back into that top team at least. There's no guarantee any other available GM (we can't just poach Ken Holland and Mike Babcock from Detroit while they're still employed) would be able to do the same, never mind better.

I can agree that it's on Gillis to make the right roster moves to put us over the top and be legitimate contenders, but can you honestly say the team he's helped build is worth only one playoff win in their last two years after getting to game 7 of the SCF? A lot of that is on the coach.

Gillis has made some moves that haven't worked out, but he's also made some that have. More particularly I think he's made ones that will work out as the core built by Burke and Nonis moves on and it'll be on Gillis to find a way to get top end talent to fill in despite being a top team in the NHL year after year. No easy task, but if the team does falter we would get some better draft pics to build back into that top team at least. There's no guarantee any other available GM (we can't just poach Ken Holland and Mike Babcock from Detroit while they're still employed) would be able to do the same, never mind better.

Agreed, Sure MG didn't do much at the deadline but AV made some odd calls with players and as well seemed to lose the ability to motivate the players. I've said a few times that AV is a great regular season coach and a good coach to get a non playoff team to the playoffs & for instilling a professional attitude and hardworking work ethic but he can't get his teams above the hump. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win a cup in NYR during his tenure.

I have nothing against the man, in fact I think it would be classy of the franchise to put him up in the Ring of Honor for what he accomplished during his tenure and I hope the fans give him a standing ovation when NYR comes to town as he thoroughly deserves it and was a victim of time.

I agree with the top part,

Honestly if you looked at the last two years of trying to rebuild the image of the Canucks by promoting the RoH, giving Bure honors for a night and representing the older Canucks players he's been trying to do that for a while now. But honestly the major problem was the coach probably sending mixed signals to the GM because honestly the coach is pretty much the eyes ears and mouth on the player level that can contribute important factors to making decisions.

I know he's only been an assistant for half a season, but why not Scott Niedermayer? He'd at least get the guys playing good defence.

If only it worked like that.

Then the Coyotes would have won cups on top of cups by now.

"Gillis has made some moves that haven't worked out, but he's also made some that have. More particularly I think he's made ones that will work out as the core built by Burke and Nonis moves on and it'll be on Gillis to find a way to get top end talent to fill in despite being a top team in the NHL year after year."

How simplistic and shallow that statement is.

Making moves that "worked out" have been few but more to the point these moves were not strengthening or upgrading the 2011 roster and in some cases, they weakened it.

The whole point with Gillis and the reason we are in this mess is that he never addressed the team's needs. He just made moves.

He landed us with a goalie fiasco when any focussed clear minded GM would have moved Schneider and admitted he still had one of the top goalies in the league.

He would have identified a replacement for Manny and signed him BEFORE he humiliated him and then spent the rest of the season looking desperate.

He would have calculated BEFORE parting with Hodgson which player would have helped us NOW, not 3 years down the line.

None of this is rocket science ............he is just rank bad at prioritising, focussing and thinking ahead to where the team needed to be. He is weak on player trading, signing and it will not improve now that he has been rumbled by the other GMs.

He landed us with a goalie fiasco when any focussed clear minded GM would have moved Schneider and admitted he still had one of the top goalies in the league.

He would have identified a replacement for Manny and signed him BEFORE he humiliated him and then spent the rest of the season looking desperate.

He would have calculated BEFORE parting with Hodgson which player would have helped us NOW, not 3 years down the line.

Yep. Imagine the trading partners and the potentials we would have if Schneider is available? At the very least, He should've traded Lu last off season before the salary cap situation became more hostile, which was more or less expected by everyone before the new CBA was negotiated.

If he was slick, he would've even traded Manny to a sucker GM. We took Dave Gagner as part of the Bure trade from Florida. He retired at the end of the season. You think the Panthers didn't know that before shipping him off to us??

It means it's a prediction..

Consider the user picture of that twitter account, perhaps it's an astrologer? What are the planets looking like right now, are they aligned or anything? Is the moon in Venus' shadow or something?

Yep. Imagine the trading partners and the potentials we would have if Schneider is available? At the very least, He should've traded Lu last off season before the salary cap situation became more hostile, which was more or less expected by everyone before the new CBA was negotiated.

If he was slick, he would've even traded Manny to a sucker GM. We took Dave Gagner as part of the Bure trade from Florida. He retired at the end of the season. You think the Panthers didn't know that before shipping him off to us??

Easier said than done. Perhaps the offers for Schneider haven't been that compelling. Perhaps the other GMs were tentative about trading for Luongo leading up to the lockout not knowing what the new CBA would hold.

Everyone makes it sound like it'd be so easy to get around these things, like we have New Jersey sitting by the phone waiting to give us Adam Larsson or something if we finally agree to trade Schneider. Gillis has been getting calls for both goalies and he's stated he'll listen to any offer that improves our team. That's worth bolding since so few seem to understand it. If an offer came along for Schneider that was markedly better than ones we've been getting for Luongo, he'd approach Lu and ask if he'd stay if Schneider was moved instead. Perhaps he already knows the answer to that, or it's different now than it was before, but again it's not as simple as just deciding to move our other goalie.

And Gillis isn't about to forge a bill of sale on Manny just to get an asset back when he genuinely cares about him as a person enough to think about his health first.

"Gillis has made some moves that haven't worked out, but he's also made some that have. More particularly I think he's made ones that will work out as the core built by Burke and Nonis moves on and it'll be on Gillis to find a way to get top end talent to fill in despite being a top team in the NHL year after year."

How simplistic and shallow that statement is.

Making moves that "worked out" have been few but more to the point these moves were not strengthening or upgrading the 2011 roster and in some cases, they weakened it.

The whole point with Gillis and the reason we are in this mess is that he never addressed the team's needs. He just made moves.

None of this is rocket science ............he is just rank bad at prioritising, focussing and thinking ahead to where the team needed to be. He is weak on player trading, signing and it will not improve now that he has been rumbled by the other GMs.

Wow and wow :shock:

Archived