The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

TRADE WARS! c2x vs Nail

On the table:

To NSH: Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Matt Read

To PHI: Shea Weber

It's VERY premature to say that Seth Jones can meet or exceed the level of a player of Shea Weber's caliber, especially right off the bat. That's a risk I don't think the Preds make at this point. Adding Brayden Schenn would be very enticing, but not at that price tag and with an expiring contract, albeit as an RFA, there's no long term cost certainty. I'm still not sold on Matt Read and he's a pending UFA after this season, so there is no cost certainty on him after this season either. He's a smaller forward who has produced a bit, but how much of that is a result of his talented linemates? He doesn't seem to take plays over on his own. Luke Schenn has been trending downwards for a few years now. Could he turn it around in defence-oriented Nashville? Maybe, but that's a gamble on the Preds part. If I'm moving a guy like Weber, I'm looking for secure and proven assets in return. No to this offer. Upgrading the forwards is a definite priority, but I'm not willing to hand the defence over to all the kids right off the bat and deal one of the best defencemen in the world to do it. There are other ways to bolster the forward core.

Offer #1:

To NJ: Mike Cammalleri

To CGY: Adam Henrique, 3rd Round Pick

After losing Kovalchuk to "retirement.. wink wink nudge nudge"... the Devils have some cap room to play with. A quick look at the depth chart and it's obvious the hole in the roster left by Kovy's departure can't be filled by overpaying Ryane Clowe. Adding Cammalleri would bring in a strong scoring winger to play with Zajac on the top line and balance the forward lines. The fact that the Devils picked up Andrei Loktionov, who has some offensive upside as well, may make Henrique, who is still unsigned as an RFA, expendable. On the Flames end, they get a player with some upside who can help them up the middle. If the Flames are going full rebuild as I believe they should, giving Sven Baertschi top 6 minutes is the way to go and this move frees up the roster spot for him. Adding Henrique to their center depth would be huge for a team who's struggled to find a true top end centerman since Joe Nieuwendyk left, and give them options should Sean Monahan not be ready. It creates a healthy competition at camp and with Matt Stajan's contract expiring, it gives them options going into next year as well. Henrique can step immediately into top 6 minutes, and has versatility as he can also play the wing.

Offer #2:

To NYI: Alexander Edler, Jordan Schroeder, 2nd Round Pick

To VAN: Travis Hamonic, Casey Cizikas, 1st Round Pick

The Isles playoff push and taking the Pens to task in a tough playoff series was a sign to the rest of the league that they're not rebuilding anymore. Hamonic is a fantastic player, but Edler is an upgrade, and this is the kind of deal the Isles can make and immediately improve their lineup. We all know how good Edler can be if he can find some consistency, and maybe a change of pace to a market with more anonymity can help him with that. Jordan Schroeder gives them a very good center who can slot in with the club this year and as he grows into his role, could push for a top 6 position with the Isles sooner or later. The swapping of picks closes the gap as the Canucks are moving the best player in this deal. Edler has Norris Trophy potential if he can find that consistency in his game. The Canucks downgrade on the point in some respects, but upgrade on the point in others. Hamonic is a big body who plays a physical game. He's more suited to the Western Conference and the Canucks could definitely use more sandpaper. Hamonic is also a right handed shot, which the Canucks desperately need on the blue line, and can play a solid powerplay role, or be a strong shutdown guy. There will be growing pains, but that's to be expected. Edler is a cap casualty here. A good player, but in my opinion the most expendable of the top 4, and ironically also has the most expensive contract. That's not an issue for the Isles, who have the cap room to spare. The Canucks don't save a ton of cap space with this deal, but they do open up a few hundred grand and don't create a big hole in their roster doing it. Cizikas is an upgrade on our 3rd line center position and brings more of that sandpaper mentioned earlier. He's not afraid to play the body despite not being a big guy and has versatility as he's been known to play the left side as well, and can chip in on offense and kill penalties.

TRADE WARS! c2x vs Nail

Offer #1:

To NJ: Mike Cammalleri

To CGY: Adam Henrique, 3rd Round Pick

After losing Kovalchuk to "retirement.. wink wink nudge nudge"... the Devils have some cap room to play with. A quick look at the depth chart and it's obvious the hole in the roster left by Kovy's departure can't be filled by overpaying Ryane Clowe. Adding Cammalleri would bring in a strong scoring winger to play with Zajac on the top line and balance the forward lines. The fact that the Devils picked up Andrei Loktionov, who has some offensive upside as well, may make Henrique, who is still unsigned as an RFA, expendable. On the Flames end, they get a player with some upside who can help them up the middle. If the Flames are going full rebuild as I believe they should, giving Sven Baertschi top 6 minutes is the way to go and this move frees up the roster spot for him. Adding Henrique to their center depth would be huge for a team who's struggled to find a true top end centerman since Joe Nieuwendyk left, and give them options should Sean Monahan not be ready. It creates a healthy competition at camp and with Matt Stajan's contract expiring, it gives them options going into next year as well. Henrique can step immediately into top 6 minutes, and has versatility as he can also play the wing.

On The Table:

To CGY: Adam Henrique, 2014 3rd Round Pick

To NJD: Mike Cammalleri

New Jersey is not willing to trade one of their key pieces of the future who is only 23 and still growing for a 32 year old pending UFA. Sure, it would help the team out greatly, but we feel that Andrei Loktionov still needs another season before making a jump to a top 6 center. We feel that there are better ways to improve our scoring without sacrificing one of our young top 6 forwards of the future. There are still a lot of young free agents out there (Damien Brunner, Mason Raymond) that can play the same way Mike can and maybe even better. Therefore, we feel that the potential production of Adam outweighs the short term production of Mike so we are going to respectfully decline this offer.

TRADE WARS! c2x vs Nail

Offer #2:

To NYI: Alexander Edler, Jordan Schroeder, 2nd Round Pick

To VAN: Travis Hamonic, Casey Cizikas, 1st Round Pick

The Isles playoff push and taking the Pens to task in a tough playoff series was a sign to the rest of the league that they're not rebuilding anymore. Hamonic is a fantastic player, but Edler is an upgrade, and this is the kind of deal the Isles can make and immediately improve their lineup. We all know how good Edler can be if he can find some consistency, and maybe a change of pace to a market with more anonymity can help him with that. Jordan Schroeder gives them a very good center who can slot in with the club this year and as he grows into his role, could push for a top 6 position with the Isles sooner or later. The swapping of picks closes the gap as the Canucks are moving the best player in this deal. Edler has Norris Trophy potential if he can find that consistency in his game. The Canucks downgrade on the point in some respects, but upgrade on the point in others. Hamonic is a big body who plays a physical game. He's more suited to the Western Conference and the Canucks could definitely use more sandpaper. Hamonic is also a right handed shot, which the Canucks desperately need on the blue line, and can play a solid powerplay role, or be a strong shutdown guy. There will be growing pains, but that's to be expected. Edler is a cap casualty here. A good player, but in my opinion the most expendable of the top 4, and ironically also has the most expensive contract. That's not an issue for the Isles, who have the cap room to spare. The Canucks don't save a ton of cap space with this deal, but they do open up a few hundred grand and don't create a big hole in their roster doing it. Cizikas is an upgrade on our 3rd line center position and brings more of that sandpaper mentioned earlier. He's not afraid to play the body despite not being a big guy and has versatility as he's been known to play the left side as well, and can chip in on offense and kill penalties.

When we signed Travis to an extension that would keep him an Islander until 2020, we envisioned him staying an Islander for the rest of his life. We feel that Travis' steady game is a key part to why we took the Penguins to 6 games. If we were to move Travis, it would leave a gaping hole on our blueline. Sure, Alex Edler would replace that, but what if he hurts his back again? What if he can't regain the confidence and poise that he had that made him a potential Norris winner? What if he remains inconsistent? Jordan Schroeder would have no spot on our team. We have two better top 6 centers in John Tavares and Josh Bailey and another rising in Ryan Strome. We also have a more suited 3rd line center in Frans Nielsen. Jordan wouldn't be able to play on the 4th line. Casey on the otherhand, fits that bottom 6 role greatly and could move up to a top 6 role as well if injuries were to occur. After moving El Nino to Minnesota at the draft, we feel a need to keep our 1st round pick to replenish our prospect pool. This deal was very appealing, but the price it would take to acquire those players was just too high.

SIGNING: The Boston Bruins have signed unrestricted free agent forward Dany Heatley to a three year deal.

Dany Heatley: 3 years, $ 13.5 million dollar contract ( $ 4,500,000.00 per season ).

* Deal includes full no-trade-clause in year one, limited no-trade-clause for year's two and three ( will accept trade to 10 teams ).

v-logo.jpg

The Boston Bruins are proud to welcome Dany to the team. It has long been an issue, to find the right line mate to play with the Sedins. This year we will ice our most imposing first line ever, and couldn`t be more excited!

When asked about the acquisition, Greensman replied, `we`ve been waiting for years for the opportunity or privilege to make an offer on a player with Dany`s talent and skill-set. We were shocked when he became available, and leapt at the chance to make an offer.`

The Boston Bruins are proud to welcome Dany to the team. It has long been an issue, to find the right line mate to play with the Sedins. This year we will ice our most imposing first line ever, and couldn`t be more excited!

When asked about the acquisition, Greensman replied, `we`ve been waiting for years for the opportunity or privilege to make an offer on a player with Dany`s talent and skill-set. We were shocked when he became available, and leapt at the chance to make an offer.`

A player I was in the mix for at one point, good pickup, his buyout confused me to be honest.

edit for clarity, not looking to stir up anything its just that the salary cap was 64.3m in 11-12 and its 64.3m in 13-14 but some teams, not necessarily dany's old team managed to get 14 million or more over the cap in the short season that happened in the middle of that..its weird.

A player I was in the mix for at one point, good pickup, his buyout confused me to be honest.

edit for clarity, not looking to stir up anything its just that the salary cap was 64.3m in 11-12 and its 64.3m in 13-14 but some teams, not necessarily dany's old team managed to get 14 million or more over the cap in the short season that happened in the middle of that..its weird.

The cap was also over 70 million in 12-13. I know I was never 14 million over the cap so I am not sure how that applies to the Heatley buyout. I spent close to the cap as I always do and when the cap dropped I obviously was over by about that amount as other teams were. Add in trying to re-sign a key player and it makes cap management pretty difficult. I am pretty confident that if other GM's knew the entire story of how the situation developed it would be clear why Heatley was bought out and not traded. But it really doesn't matter much at this point.

At the end of the day it came down to whether or not I was willing to trade Heatley at 7.5 million for Perry at 9.5 million which obviously I decided was a winning tradeoff for my team. Heatley is a good player for sure and at a 4.5 cap hit he will be a huge boost for Boston. But at 7.5 million very few teams wanted to take him on without me retaining salary which did not help me at all to do and I totally understood that.

The cap was also over 70 million in 12-13. I know I was never 14 million over the cap so I am not sure how that applies to the Heatley buyout. I spent close to the cap as I always do and when the cap dropped I obviously was over by about that amount as other teams were. Add in trying to re-sign a key player and it makes cap management pretty difficult. I am pretty confident that if other GM's knew the entire story of how the situation developed it would be clear why Heatley was bought out and not traded. But it really doesn't matter much at this point.

At the end of the day it came down to whether or not I was willing to trade Heatley at 7.5 million for Perry at 9.5 million which obviously I decided was a winning tradeoff for my team. Heatley is a good player for sure and at a 4.5 cap hit he will be a huge boost for Boston. But at 7.5 million very few teams wanted to take him on without me retaining salary which did not help me at all to do and I totally understood that.

yeah no need to explain i meant in general over several teams the buyouts made me a bit confused, sorry to have not explained that rightly..the heatley signing just reminded me that several buyouts got me thinking a bit abotu the general situation of buyouts and that for me was confusing. really, sorry to make you think you had to defend yourself, that wasnt what i meant.

i shouldn't even say confusing...speaking in broad general strokes the idea that teams would use two amnesty buyouts, and I mean NHL and here with us...doesn't matter,,,same concept...two amnesty buyouts to get rid of bad contracts, not necessarily bad players IMO was a horrible way to solve the cap situation. To skip to the NHL Lecavalier for instance did 3 years at 10m and had at least three more coming at 10m, and with 3m in bonus's for these middle years on top, then some time in plumeting salary to balance out at 7.5 or whatever....It is almost criminal that they bought him out of that deal signed druin for 3 and a quarter million (making the difference just 4 million or so, and brought in Filpula for 5m...5 plus 3 and a quarter is 8, so they bought out a guy at 7.5 or near that and then replaced him with a guy for 5 and a rookie for 3 and a quarter. It seems criminal almost, to me, that that is the the way they used the compliance buyout..not for compliance but to get out of a bad deal. That is what I was speaking about albeit poorly above. Really had nothing to do with Heatley's old team, he just triggered a rant in my head.

yeah no need to explain i meant in general over several teams the buyouts made me a bit confused, sorry to have not explained that rightly..the heatley signing just reminded me that several buyouts got me thinking a bit abotu the general situation of buyouts and that for me was confusing. really, sorry to make you think you had to defend yourself, that wasnt what i meant.

No worries. I just figured I would just provide some clarity and some context around my own team situation there.

i shouldn't even say confusing...speaking in broad general strokes the idea that teams would use two amnesty buyouts, and I mean NHL and here with us...doesn't matter,,,same concept...two amnesty buyouts to get rid of bad contracts, not necessarily bad players IMO was a horrible way to solve the cap situation. To skip to the NHL Lecavalier for instance did 3 years at 10m and had at least three more coming at 10m, and with 3m in bonus's for these middle years on top, then some time in plumeting salary to balance out at 7.5 or whatever....It is almost criminal that they bought him out of that deal signed druin for 3 and a quarter million (making the difference just 4 million or so, and brought in Filpula for 5m...5 plus 3 and a quarter is 8, so they bought out a guy at 7.5 or near that and then replaced him with a guy for 5 and a rookie for 3 and a quarter. It seems criminal almost, to me, that that is the the way they used the compliance buyout..not for compliance but to get out of a bad deal. That is what I was speaking about albeit poorly above. Really had nothing to do with Heatley's old team, he just triggered a rant in my head.

I think it is a better scenario for the players overall as opposed to a league-wide rollback although as you say, the end result is really the same for new contracts. The GM's and teams still have not figured out a way to protect them from their biggest threat - themselves.

That really is where the NHL is at its weakest, is GM's outsmarting their own best interests. Individually they are working hard against other GM's but collectively the results of that are not great. What is the NHL's individual salary cap and should we put one in our CBA of the GML? This came up already in some chats I have had and I was under the impression there was a cap already but there might not be one in our league. Maybe a good idea to mirror the NHL's?

SO i just looked at all our team sheets quickly and I only saw 2 players over 9 million a year cap hit, and none at 10million so I guess it isn't an issue really, since we did copy the 7 and 8 year max rule from the NHL that will solve any real issues i guess going forward. Sorry to work through all that in the thread, was basically spitballing and brainstorming out loud. I am done now, and its time for my home made pizza to come out of the oven! woot. The secret is a bit of honey in the sauce!

Offer #1:

To COL: Troy Brouwer, 2013 3rd Round Pick

To WSH: Paul Stastny

Washington gains a 2nd line center that they lost before when Mike Ribeiro signed in Phoenix. Acquiring Paul would let them move Brooks Laich back to the 3rd line position or to the wing. Colorado deals from a position of strength and acquires a gritty top 9 forward to help protect some of their young guns. While Stastny is better in a straight up deal for Brouwer, Brouwer is signed for 3 more years and Statsny is a pending UFA after this season. That is why there is a 3rd round pick added.

Offer #2:

To EDM: Stephane Da Costa, Erik Condra, 2013 4th Round Pick

To OTT: Ales Hemsky

Ottawa makes this deal to solidify their top 6 and add Hemsky to a 2nd line with Clarke MacArthur and Kyle Turris. Adding another bonafide scorer to the Senators would make them unstoppable. There have been rumours that the Oilers are shopping Hemsky and I feel this is a pretty good return. In Da Costa, you get a top 9 forward of the future that would have no room in Ottawa if the Sens were to acquire Da Costa. In Condra, you get a top 9 forward right now that can chip in with points and also play a gritty game. The pick is in there to sweeten the deal. We hope you consider this offer.

SIGNING: The Washington Capitals have signed unrestricted free agent forward Justin Florek to a three year deal.

Justin Florek: 3 years, $ 2.1 million dollar contract ( $ 700,000.00 per season ).

v-logo.jpg

Dover Dobermans

Chris Kreider - Jacob Josefson - Richard Panik

Mattias Tedenby - Daniel Catenacci - Danny Kristo

???????????? - ????????? - Justin Florek

??????? - ??????? - ???????

Simon Despres - Ryan Ellis

John Klingberg - Keegan Lowe

Jyrki Jokipakka - ????????

??????

????

Archived