The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo trade. What do you think?

I was thinking of the best possible value we could get out of Luongo and I had an idea. We could potentially trade him for the rights to a player that won't sign with his current team. At first I thought of David Clarkson, but he could be really expensive and Brodeur is still signed with New Jersey through next year. Then it came to me, we could trade Lu back to the Florida Panthers for the rights to Stephen Weiss and a pick (2nd or 3rd?). Hopefully we could re-sign Weiss for around 4.5 million for 3 or 4 years and if we are really lucky we could use the pick to draft Shea Theodore if it is a 2nd rounder (31st overall). I'd even be willing to throw in Ballard for free if they would take him back, but I'm sure they wouldn't. What do you guys think of this proposal? Is the value good for both teams? What would you change?

pretty sure Florida is good for goalies.. Theodore, Markstrom, Clemmensen.. all good goalies. if a deal like this did go through though they'd probably be sending back one of the older goalies, (Clemmensen or Theodore)

True Markstrom is a young goalie and has lots of time to learn from his mistakes, but that's one of the reasons why Luongo would be such a perfect fit in Florida and a perfect mentor for Markstrom. And if Theodore is solid then why did his stats plummet from 2.46 and .916% in a division winning season to 3.29 and .893% in a lottery pick season?

Rather have the RFA rights to Matthias and a 2nd and 3rd this year. At this point that's what we can expect unless they draft Big Mac and then need to drop a center at which point we swap Luongo straight across for Bjugstad.

That is realistic. And Matthias has much more upside than a Weisse who will be thrown a deal better than $5 million.

Archived