The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So BIGGER, STRONGER and YOUNGER =

GM Fantasy Guru

Rather than whining why don't you examine the fact that the Canucks do not have the cap space to sign big name UFA's. I don't care which GM you put in there, they can't go over the cap either so the result would be the same. I bet you are one of the CDCers who was delighted that MG spent to the cap in a 'win now' situation. Well it didn't bare success and now you are wanting to fire the GM?

MG has just signed depth players (with the exception of Richardson) which is the only thing he can do.

Which brings me to the next point of contention.....AV didn't give the rookies a chance....wha wha wha...Well now there is a move to see if some of our prospects can make the team....and you guessed it...more CDC whining that they now want expensive UFA's signed which would bump the prospects to the AHL and Junior? Helloooooo!

Trade Schneider....he was the only one that was tradeable and the team had to get to the cap. Bo Horvat looks to be a great player so when you look back on this trade, you might say that it was one of MG's better moves. We have goalie depth, what we don't have is quality depth at centre so I like this trade (even though I am a huge fan of Schneider).

Finally, the team failed to get it done in the playoffs 3 seasons in a row and after consecutive 1st round exits, changes had to be made....MG is doing that so just give it a chance before you start at MG's throat.

With all due respect at what point in time will they ever be ready then? We just tossed a coach who refused to play our young talent. I forgot players like Gretzky Roy Brodeur and Lemiuex all came into the league with 10 years of pro experience.

These kids have played hockey their whole lives. Jensen Gaunce and Schroeder are all ready as is Tanev and Corrado.

There was no money to sign anyone huge and really, you wanted Gillis to get in on the stupid overpayments everyone else jumped into? Boyd Gordon at $3 million a year? Clarkson for almost $5.5 million a year for 7 years...really?

Stop the doom and gloom crap. The top 6 is fine if motivated which is why we have a new coach who can not only motivate but also groom youngsters as he's successfully done his whole career, we have a solid assistant in Gulutzan as well with new ideas.

Our prospect pool is finally deeper and more respect worthy than it's been since about 2003/2004, our core players are still in their prime and now we have an angry 3 time vezina nominated goalie wanting to prove something.

Want a free agent for millions....sign one yourself because we now finally have a 4th line worth the name

Every team is in the same position.

Some will improve,some regress.

Which catergory do the Canucks fit into?

Back up top 10-20 goalie-gone for a prospect.

#1 goalie super cheesed at mgmt. act.

Team scoring falling y/o/y/.

PP failing y/o/y.

Lose a top 6 d man and have to pay partial cap and get no return despite losing two first rounders in the initial transaction.

Trade a top 10 prospect that just finished near top 50 in NHL scoring for a future prospect.

No viable winger to play with Kes.

Fourth line has no scoring.

D has two rookies that can't score as options.

Bigger,stronger,younger and can't score.

Every team is not in the same situation because some teams have $25M in cap space to spend on FA's. Others like the Canucks spent to the cap in the hope of going all in and winning a cup. Well there is only 1 cup winner per year so for every 1 success there are 15 other teams that had that plan backfire on them. It is convenient to blame MG (and AV) but not logical. The age of the core dictated that MG go all in. In order to sign all these glorious life saving UFA's, you have to have cap space, the player has to 'want' to play in Canada and put up with all the extra travel....not to mention the higher housing costs, higher taxes and a media that would put you on the sacrificial alter if it would make the front page.Go Team g o ..........

I like these signings...especially giving Santorelli (BC native) a chance to grab the 13th forward spot, or just be a part of the organization. Weber will be a regular scratch that can play (ala Ballard), and at a cheap price (plus he has offensive upside). The others are for AHL depth because Utica will play our prospects and signings more prominently, as Chicago only wanted to win the Calder Cups, not preparing our prospects for the pro game.

We also signed Benn Ferreiro, so he could be an NHL depth/4th liner (if Weise isn't re-signed, but I guess he will be since he filed for arbitration).

I think all of these signings have a purpose for the Canucks or Comets roster (since we lose all the Wolves players like Longpre and Hunt).

Why is everyone sold on Sundin having such this huge impact on Kesler and the Sedins for half a season? If anything Linden had more of an impact on the Sedins and Kesler, then what Mats Sundin did in what 4-5 months.

Linden played 7-8 YEARS with the Sedins, he did a lot more than what Sundin did in 5 months. Linden also played with Kesler for about 2-3 years not months, Linden did much more than what Sundin did for these guys. But no it's all because of Sundin, that they turned out to be Selke, Art Ross, Hart, Presidents Trophy and Captain/Leader for a team.

So we decided to sign a guy for 5M, for half a season just to mentor Sedins and Kesler? Oh ok so we should sign Jagr half way through the season at 5M, to help mentor the likes of Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce. I guess there's so many positives out of it, for the 4-5 months of their whole 20 year careers.

Why is everyone sold on Sundin having such this huge impact on Kesler and the Sedins for half a season? If anything Linden had more of an impact on the Sedins and Kesler, then what Mats Sundin did in what 4-5 months.

change doesn't happen over night not with a top 4,or 5 that most would die for and cap restraints due to a declining salary cap.(something no gm saw coming)

MG could get bigger and younger but to find that combination with skill and affordability in a UFA market that seems to like alway grossly over pay isn't a good way to go about it. i like the moves so far and i i look to the future, moving in more youth could give the older player a bit of a boost to see the excitement and compete level of players trying to make a name for themselves and actually being given an opportunity to succeed.

and if that isn't enough at least jay feaster isn't the gm. ::D

When you get older you will remember life's little follies with added relish.

Sundin Sure Didn’t Help His Team. Just His Wallet

http://dennis-kane.com/sundin-sure-didnt-help-his-team-just-his-wallet/

Sundin totalled nine goals and 19 assists after being given five million dollars to play half a season. He wasn’t in great shape when he arrived in Vancouver after sitting out so long, he’s not a young man, and during the all-star break, instead of working out, he went to Whistler to have fun. In the playoffs, he had three goals and five assists. His team, the Canucks, are gone, and once again their fans are disappointed. Did Sundin help the cause? Not one bit. And like I said, he walks away with five million bucks for all this.

When you get older you will remember life's little follies with added relish.

Sundin Sure Didn’t Help His Team. Just His Wallet

http://dennis-kane.c...ust-his-wallet/

Sundin totalled nine goals and 19 assists after being given five million dollars to play half a season. He wasn’t in great shape when he arrived in Vancouver after sitting out so long, he’s not a young man, and during the all-star break, instead of working out, he went to Whistler to have fun. In the playoffs, he had three goals and five assists. His team, the Canucks, are gone, and once again their fans are disappointed. Did Sundin help the cause? Not one bit. And like I said, he walks away with five million bucks for all this.

By: Mark Zwolinski SPORTS REPORTER, Published on Sat Jan 31 2009

Toronto Star

Sundin a big bust so far

It's a safe bet that Mats Sundin isn't tuning in to Canucks radio phone-in shows in Vancouver these days.

The Canucks have done nothing but lose since the former Leafs captain chose to resume his career in Vancouver last month. It's sparked widespread fan backlash, but for Sundin, there's more to the fan derision than just frustration with the losing.

Fans, especially vocal ones on radio call-in shows, are anti-Sundin. They're calling him a bust. Like teammate and ex-Leaf teammate Kyle Wellwood, he's being referred to as another piece of Leafs refuse that landed, unsuccessfully, in Vancouver.

These are things Sundin is not used to hearing. But the big Swede, always a class act, accepts the fan frustration, even if he may not be aware how deep it is.

"Obviously, it hasn't been up to par," Sundin told the Vancouver Province. "I expect myself to be more productive than I have been so far."

Ever since he signed a much scrutinized, one-year, pro-rated contract that handed the Canucks a $5.626 million cap hit, great things have been expected of Sundin.

Vancouver was abuzz and, fairly or not, fans linked Sundin's arrival to serious Stanley Cup contender status for the Canucks.

That was Dec.18. This is now: Vancouver has won one game in its last 10. The club has fallen from first place in its division to a five-way tie for spots 7-11 in the Western Conference playoff ladder.

Vancouver is also 1-5-2 since Sundin's arrival. The 37-year-old, with 14 years as team captain and better than a point a game pace over his career, has two goals and an assist as a Canuck.

Sundin has also taken six penalties described as "lazy" by critics and been in the penalty box for three winning goals against.

Since he arrived, Sundin has not attempted to hide the fact his conditioning and timing was not up to peak standards. That aspect was a work in progress, but over the five-day all-star break, Sundin chose dry land training over skating, claiming there was no way to reproduce the speed and intensity of a team practice while alone on a sheet of ice that was available in Whistler.

Vigneault has dropped Sundin from centring the second line of Wellwood and Mason Raymond to third-line checker status as a winger with Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler.

It's hardly what was the original vision for Sundin, to provide supplemental scoring to the top line of the Sedin twins and Taylor Pyatt.

By: Mark Zwolinski SPORTS REPORTER, Published on Sat Jan 31 2009

Toronto Star

It's a safe bet that Mats Sundin isn't tuning in to Canucks radio phone-in shows in Vancouver these days.

The Canucks have done nothing but lose since the former Leafs captain chose to resume his career in Vancouver last month. It's sparked widespread fan backlash, but for Sundin, there's more to the fan derision than just frustration with the losing.

Fans, especially vocal ones on radio call-in shows, are anti-Sundin. They're calling him a bust. Like teammate and ex-Leaf teammate Kyle Wellwood, he's being referred to as another piece of Leafs refuse that landed, unsuccessfully, in Vancouver.

These are things Sundin is not used to hearing. But the big Swede, always a class act, accepts the fan frustration, even if he may not be aware how deep it is.

"Obviously, it hasn't been up to par," Sundin told the Vancouver Province. "I expect myself to be more productive than I have been so far."

Ever since he signed a much scrutinized, one-year, pro-rated contract that handed the Canucks a $5.626 million cap hit, great things have been expected of Sundin.

Vancouver was abuzz and, fairly or not, fans linked Sundin's arrival to serious Stanley Cup contender status for the Canucks.

That was Dec.18. This is now: Vancouver has won one game in its last 10. The club has fallen from first place in its division to a five-way tie for spots 7-11 in the Western Conference playoff ladder.

Vancouver is also 1-5-2 since Sundin's arrival. The 37-year-old, with 14 years as team captain and better than a point a game pace over his career, has two goals and an assist as a Canuck.

Sundin has also taken six penalties described as "lazy" by critics and been in the penalty box for three winning goals against.

Since he arrived, Sundin has not attempted to hide the fact his conditioning and timing was not up to peak standards. That aspect was a work in progress, but over the five-day all-star break, Sundin chose dry land training over skating, claiming there was no way to reproduce the speed and intensity of a team practice while alone on a sheet of ice that was available in Whistler

No,it was a $5.6 million Gillis lemon.

Vigneault has dropped Sundin from centring the second line of Wellwood and Mason Raymond to third-line checker status as a winger with Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler.

It's hardly what was the original vision for Sundin, to provide supplemental scoring to the top line of the Sedin twins and Taylor Pyatt.

Archived