The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Gillis settle this team too much?

Bodee

Every difficult scenario was self created.

Most GM's are not gifted a team of elite players, an ace coach and then fail them so miserably.

I have never said it is all "black" but it has been pretty much black since the 2010-11 playoffs and I am not alone in thinking that.

Isn't it funny how all these Gillis excuses MORE THAN apply to AV and yet he was quite prepared to sacrifice the best coach we have ever had here to save his skin.

Any reason for getting rid of AV more than applied to Gillis .............and that is the irony.

It is but last year on this team garrison also showed that he is quite good defensively as well he will put up points. So given that he brings all of the things Salo brought to the table plus being younger and healthier are most certainly worth a higher salary.

Last season with both of them going to new teams Garry matched him in points (more or less) and quadrupled Salo in goals. Before the Tampa sucks argument is made people should note that Tampa scored 21 more goals than the canucks last year.

Did Salo have a full season?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking Garrison. If any part of last season was any sort of indication of his value, it would be how amazingly well he rose above the disarray that AV and his crew left the defencemen in this season.

Grabner and first rounder - D man with no return but paying Ballard's cap until the contract ends

Coho (top 50 NHL sniper) - fourth line project

Schneider (top 10-20 NHL goalie) - project

I could keep digging but he undermined the assets with a shortsighted belief the .org's strategies were superior.

It occurs to me that if Gillis was unable to get the big gritty sniper for the top line OR the big dominant stay at home D then maybe he should have looked to get better and stronger further down the line instead of handing out NTC's

My point is could we have parted with Higgins, Hansen, Lappiere, Booth and maybe even Burrows sooner at the end of the 2012 season?

Other teams seem to have no bother in changing faces to affect some momentum. Should we have been more flexible in our team building?

He did it with Sami to good effect (although I don't think Garrison is an actual upgrade) and given a better team performance Garrison might have looked even better last season.

I suppose what I'm saying is could we have gone for a grittier tougher 3rd and 4th line with a bit more skill to compensate for our lack of top 6 push back.

Archived