The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo fires agent Lupien / hires JP Barry and Pat Brisson

nuck nit

Luongo hires new agents (Updated)

Jason Brough

Jul 24, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT

luongogetty1.jpg?w=320 Getty Images

Another day, another fresh twist to the Roberto Luongo saga.

As first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, Luongo has hired Pat Brisson and JP Barry of CAA Sports to be his new representatives.

When it comes to agents, there aren’t any heavier hitters in the hockey world than those two.

What it means for the Canucks isn’t clear. It could simply be that Luongo was unhappy with his former agent, Gilles Lupien, for failing to orchestrate a trade out of Vancouver.

Luongo has nine years remaining on his current contract, so he doesn’t need any help negotiating a new deal. Unless, of course, he’s hoping to find a way out of that contract (which he did say in April he’d “scrap” if he could) and into a new one.

That still seems unlikely — if not impossible — though.

But then, trading Cory Schneider seemed unlikely, too.

Update:

Barry tells the Vancouver Sun he plans to meet soon with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman; however, he wouldn’t say much more than that.

“I think I am going to have to reserve comment for a while,” Barry said. “We need to get up to speed and take some time. Obviously we are coming on to a difficult file and we need to give him proper advice and we need to take some time here, talk with Roberto, talk with Mike and Laurence. There are media reports and then there’s talking to the parties. We’ll take the time to do that over the next little while here … we’ll try and reach out to them in the next day or two.”

Worth noting: Barry also represents Vancouver’s Sedin twins.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/24/luongo-hires-new-agents/

Searched this forum and came up with nada.

The switch never happened until today so I guess it is now fact and not rumour/trade.

Nonetheless,if it is redundant then lock away.

Canucks: Luongo’s agent swap could be a red flag — or red herring

By Ben Kuzma, The Province July 24, 2013 7:15 P.M.

8704201.jpg

Vancouver Canucks’ goalie Roberto Luongo has been the centre of attention for the past two seasons. He’s back in the spotlight again, and for the same reasons.

Photograph by: DARRYL DYCK , THE CANADIAN PRESS

The optics were always somewhat fuzzy. Now they’ve become really blurry.

On the heels of the Vancouver Canucks staging their cheerful annual summer summit with season-ticket holders Tuesday at Rogers Arena — where general manager Mike Gillis and coach John Tortorella proclaimed full confidence that Roberto Luongo will report to training camp — came the Wednesday bombshell.

The Canucks’ re-appointed starting goaltender has replaced longtime agent Gilles Lupien with the powerhouse duo of J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson. The move happened earlier this week and the news was curiously released Wednesday.

Barry reportedly reserved comment on Luongo’s move to CAA Sports — a well-respected agency that lists Sidney Crosby among its NHL clients — and that will only fuel speculation that something is seriously amiss with Luongo following a series of events that startled the stopper, who has remained silent outside of the odd Twitter tweet.

After all, he agreed to waive his no-trade clause a year ago for betterment of the club’s salary-cap position and allow Cory Schneider to become the goaltending face of the franchise. His trade to the New Jersey Devils did more than steal the draft show June 30.

You don’t require new representation with nine years and $40.5 million US remaining on an immovable 12-year, $64-million deal that was negotiated by Lupien but became an albatross.

You do need new voices if you think some of the best minds in the business can get you someplace else. And if Luongo’s level of angst has reached a level where all that Canucks baggage has mentally crushed him — regardless of a goodwill visit last week by Gillis, another planned Florida summit by the general manager and a Tortorella face-to-face — something else might be at play.

Luongo could withhold his services, but that would open a gigantic can of worms for the player, his agents and the Canucks. Imagine having to dip back into the unrestricted free-agent market to find a bandage because Eddie Lack is coming off hip surgery and only now skating, while Swedish Elite League standout Joacim Eriksson has yet to face NHL rubber?

And I have a hard time believing a guy who’s so good at poker would go all in and actually play that holdout card. His contract may suck, but it is a contract, and Luongo will be paid $6.714 million annually the next six years.

What could and should work in the Canucks’ favour is if time and tact allow wounds to heal, and a rejuvenated and driven Luongo is drawn to that tempting carrot dangling from the Team Canada stick for the Sochi Olympics.

Obviously, that’s easier said than done. It’s not a stretch to suggest that the past bugs Luongo more than the future. He can have a fresh start here with a new coach, but all those old oddities, oversights and regrets aren’t going to simply disappear.

Barry also represents Henrik and Daniel Sedin, and he might be the third party voice of reason to broker better will between the player and organization, no matter what Gillis said Tuesday about his recent visit.

And as a star player, there will be endorsement opportunities for Luongo and two guys to handle the heat of dealing with the Canucks and the media. Barry isn’t Dr. Phil, but he’s good at numbers and good at keeping lines of communication open. That’s what the general manager is trying to do with Luongo.

“We talked about everything that happened over the last five years,” Gillis said at the summit.

“I left it with him that we were going to talk again this week. I have full confidence in him and I have full confidence that he will be here and that’s how we’re operating. We went through every issue and I didn’t leave it with any sense of trepidation or that I was concerned about things. I left it that we had a good conversation and laughed. And 95 per cent of the stuff that was reported was inaccurate and people made up trades and teams he was being traded to. There was a lot of misinformation out there.”

Perhaps, but not in this market.

The Roberto Luongo Watch cranked up the scope and depth of coverage because as the 34-year-old goaltender was at peace in that it was time to move on, but he didn’t. Schneider did for centre Bo Horvat, the ninth-overall pick in the 2013 draft.

“It was a strange year in general with the lockout and shortened season and nothing really felt normal, but through all this Lou was great,” Schneider said after the trade.

“It’s nice to have a resolution and I hope he can come back to Vancouver and be the goalie we all know he can be.”

Luongo had mentally moved on even before the lockout-shortened season. His posh False Creek residence was up for sale and he was living in a hotel while awaiting a trade.

It didn’t happen in the offseason or before the puck dropped Jan. 19. It didn’t happen minutes before the April 3 trade deadline, and when Luongo surrendered the playoff crease in Game 3 of the Western Conference quarterfinal series, his lament was thought to sum up the crease conundrum with Schneider: “It’s his team.”

Well, it was.

The Canucks could have got creative with Luongo. Before the New York Islanders re-signed Evgeni Nabokov and bought out Rick DiPietro on July 3, a wild scenario could have returned Luongo to a team that drafted him. The Islanders could have got a bonafide starter in exchange for the Canucks acquiring DiPietro’s massive contract and then buying it out — if the Islanders also sent at least a roster player their way.

Of course, that never came to fruition. Either has any other trade. And we wait to hear what Luongo thinks of it all.

bkuzma@theprovince.com

twitter.com/benkuzma

Searched this forum and came up with nada.

The switch never happened until today so I guess it is now fact and not rumour/trade.

Nonetheless,if it is redundant then lock away.

Canucks: Luongo’s agent swap could be a red flag — or red herring

By Ben Kuzma, The Province July 24, 2013 7:15 P.M.

8704201.jpg

Vancouver Canucks’ goalie Roberto Luongo has been the centre of attention for the past two seasons. He’s back in the spotlight again, and for the same reasons.

Photograph by: DARRYL DYCK , THE CANADIAN PRESS

The optics were always somewhat fuzzy. Now they’ve become really blurry.

On the heels of the Vancouver Canucks staging their cheerful annual summer summit with season-ticket holders Tuesday at Rogers Arena — where general manager Mike Gillis and coach John Tortorella proclaimed full confidence that Roberto Luongo will report to training camp — came the Wednesday bombshell.

The Canucks’ re-appointed starting goaltender has replaced longtime agent Gilles Lupien with the powerhouse duo of J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson. The move happened earlier this week and the news was curiously released Wednesday.

Barry reportedly reserved comment on Luongo’s move to CAA Sports — a well-respected agency that lists Sidney Crosby among its NHL clients — and that will only fuel speculation that something is seriously amiss with Luongo following a series of events that startled the stopper, who has remained silent outside of the odd Twitter tweet.

After all, he agreed to waive his no-trade clause a year ago for betterment of the club’s salary-cap position and allow Cory Schneider to become the goaltending face of the franchise. His trade to the New Jersey Devils did more than steal the draft show June 30.

You don’t require new representation with nine years and $40.5 million US remaining on an immovable 12-year, $64-million deal that was negotiated by Lupien but became an albatross.

You do need new voices if you think some of the best minds in the business can get you someplace else. And if Luongo’s level of angst has reached a level where all that Canucks baggage has mentally crushed him — regardless of a goodwill visit last week by Gillis, another planned Florida summit by the general manager and a Tortorella face-to-face — something else might be at play.

Luongo could withhold his services, but that would open a gigantic can of worms for the player, his agents and the Canucks. Imagine having to dip back into the unrestricted free-agent market to find a bandage because Eddie Lack is coming off hip surgery and only now skating, while Swedish Elite League standout Joacim Eriksson has yet to face NHL rubber?

And I have a hard time believing a guy who’s so good at poker would go all in and actually play that holdout card. His contract may suck, but it is a contract, and Luongo will be paid $6.714 million annually the next six years.

What could and should work in the Canucks’ favour is if time and tact allow wounds to heal, and a rejuvenated and driven Luongo is drawn to that tempting carrot dangling from the Team Canada stick for the Sochi Olympics.

Obviously, that’s easier said than done. It’s not a stretch to suggest that the past bugs Luongo more than the future. He can have a fresh start here with a new coach, but all those old oddities, oversights and regrets aren’t going to simply disappear.

Barry also represents Henrik and Daniel Sedin, and he might be the third party voice of reason to broker better will between the player and organization, no matter what Gillis said Tuesday about his recent visit.

And as a star player, there will be endorsement opportunities for Luongo and two guys to handle the heat of dealing with the Canucks and the media. Barry isn’t Dr. Phil, but he’s good at numbers and good at keeping lines of communication open. That’s what the general manager is trying to do with Luongo.

“We talked about everything that happened over the last five years,” Gillis said at the summit.

“I left it with him that we were going to talk again this week. I have full confidence in him and I have full confidence that he will be here and that’s how we’re operating. We went through every issue and I didn’t leave it with any sense of trepidation or that I was concerned about things. I left it that we had a good conversation and laughed. And 95 per cent of the stuff that was reported was inaccurate and people made up trades and teams he was being traded to. There was a lot of misinformation out there.”

Perhaps, but not in this market.

The Roberto Luongo Watch cranked up the scope and depth of coverage because as the 34-year-old goaltender was at peace in that it was time to move on, but he didn’t. Schneider did for centre Bo Horvat, the ninth-overall pick in the 2013 draft.

“It was a strange year in general with the lockout and shortened season and nothing really felt normal, but through all this Lou was great,” Schneider said after the trade.

“It’s nice to have a resolution and I hope he can come back to Vancouver and be the goalie we all know he can be.”

Luongo had mentally moved on even before the lockout-shortened season. His posh False Creek residence was up for sale and he was living in a hotel while awaiting a trade.

It didn’t happen in the offseason or before the puck dropped Jan. 19. It didn’t happen minutes before the April 3 trade deadline, and when Luongo surrendered the playoff crease in Game 3 of the Western Conference quarterfinal series, his lament was thought to sum up the crease conundrum with Schneider: “It’s his team.”

Well, it was.

The Canucks could have got creative with Luongo. Before the New York Islanders re-signed Evgeni Nabokov and bought out Rick DiPietro on July 3, a wild scenario could have returned Luongo to a team that drafted him. The Islanders could have got a bonafide starter in exchange for the Canucks acquiring DiPietro’s massive contract and then buying it out — if the Islanders also sent at least a roster player their way.

Of course, that never came to fruition. Either has any other trade. And we wait to hear what Luongo thinks of it all.

bkuzma@theprovince.com

twitter.com/benkuzma

Archived