The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Attention Truck Owners/Enthusiasts

Magikal

Best truck for cruising. 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 (my first truck).

We currently have two 2013 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn's in our fleet along with a few older trucks. These trucks are awesome! I own a framing business and these trucks are able to haul all of our tools and equipment and give a comfortable ride. Dodge gave us a pretty good deal on these too...

2008 Tacoma TRD Off-Road quad cab 4.0L V6 with 110000km

Been keeping up with regular maintenance and no major problems so far. I have done upgrades to the suspension, 3 inch lift with 33 inch tires. Daily driver and I go off-roading on moderate trails.

Had a 2003 Ford ranger pick up a few years back. Actually 5 years back I sold it. Bought it used 1 year old from Dams Ford in Langley. Yeah, they dont make the Ranger anymore for Canada but you can get a 2011 final year one cheap. A great choice if you want a truck to do lightweight hauling without the size and fuel consumption of a large truck. Lets face it. 99% of the people driving F-150s and the like are doing it for something other than needing a large truck. My neighbor across the street drives a F-350 massive vehicle and Ive never seen him haul a single thing in it.

I drove a new Nissan Frontier 4 door pickup in Florida for a week and it was amazingly good on gas. hauled 4 adults with nobody being tight for room. I was positively impressed with it.

Unless you need it for work or to haul/tow stuff a full size pick up is a very bad choice for a main vehicle.

I love my Tundra. Very smooth ride, the Tacomas are a great truck as well.

If you're going to get a Ford, you may as well get the 20 year warranty. My dad has an F350 Turbo diesel "ecoboost" (work truck, no way he'd ever buy one with all the troubles he's had), and the tranny blew at 70k. Among other things as well, knobs busting in the cab, brakes going early, ignition coils, etc.

This isn't a one-time occurence, I know two other people that have had their trannys go before 120k. Seems to be an ongoing trend. Sure they're nice looking trucks, but is it really going to last? If you're going to get one, at least get an older one that you know won't break down on you when you're pulling a mediocre weight behind the truck.

1 of the 3 fords he's had has made it past 180k. My '00 Tundra is still going strong at 280. Just saying.

I had a '94 silverado that I sold when it had over 500,000km on it and was still running fine. Usual maintenance to be expected, U-Joints, fuel pump, brakes etc... but it served me well.

Currently have a 2010 Silverado extended cab 1500 LTZ with the 6.2L engine and my oh my is it fantastic. Towing my 21ft ski boat? No problem up and down the coquihala. Driving highway I've been getting around 12.5L/100km going to and from revelstoke, or about 14L/100km in the city (*edit: this is not towing the boat of course). Evidently slamming on the gas hurts this, but the cylinder deactivation does the trick seamlessly.

My uncle has the 5.3L in a GMC, and loves it as well.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with a Chevy or GM in the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or 1 ton trucks as long as you stay away from the 4.3L or 4.8L engines.

Haha you guys don't seriously fall for all that crap. Most of those awards go to the highest bidder

F-150 are a mass mass mass produced truck, the market is completely flooded with them because they are cheap and cosmetically appealing. If you beat these trucks or start to add after market parts you really get the feel for how cheaply made the trucks are along with any of the big 3.

I have beaten the hell out of all of the big 3 in 3 different decades, also worked with guys who own a variety of different trucks working in the remote bush.

1. For durability, resale, gas mileage, and quality its Toyota the few oilfield service companies that go with Toyota stay with Toyota, because they can hang onto them twice as long due to the durability then actually get money for them in the dealer auction. I have never herd of any type of drive train issues with these trucks. The gap in quality is so large I can only compare it to a MacBook Vs aspire ultra book.

2. GM They are not really close to Toyota at all for overall quality but they do have fewer drive train and front end issues in the bush. They are the most comfortable to drive and have been since they started making trucks comfortable to drive.

3. Ford, I do not like the quality of these trucks but they are cheap, so that's worth something. When I was a rig manager I changed every fricken part with a grease nipple on the crew truck annually. Cheap cheap cheap suspension. But cosmetically beautiful.

4. Dodge, slam the door on a dodge and you can almost feel a ting to it, dodges blow trannies more than Eddy Murphy, horrible horrible quality. Most problems I have seen out of the big 3.

5. Nissan I herd the frontiers are decent but the Titan is so unbelievably horrible that it drags the frontier down with it. My brother owned one, he jacked it 6" and got about 6M/G in the city.

6. Honda, that is the ugliest truck I have ever seen.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Archived