The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Attention Truck Owners/Enthusiasts

Magikal

Depends what you want to do with your truck.

What are you hauling?

What do you need it for?

For example for me, a Tacoma would be fine because the most I'd be hauling is my motorcycle. I don't own a boat or anything like that. A 6' bed is just fine, and I'd still get decent mileage.

My brother has had trucks for over 30 years. The best truck he had was 1956 Chevy. Wish he never sold it, I would have loved to have restored it. The next best was a 1985 Toyota SR5 pickup. Three accidents and 8 years later he couldn't kill it. That SR5 was as tough as nails. He's had several F-150's and all of them had problems. So now he's back to driving a Tundra.

Just my thoughts.

Depends what you want to do with your truck.

What are you hauling?

What do you need it for?

For example for me, a Tacoma would be fine because the most I'd be hauling is my motorcycle. I don't own a boat or anything like that. A 6' bed is just fine, and I'd still get decent mileage.

My brother has had trucks for over 30 years. The best truck he had was 1956 Chevy. Wish he never sold it, I would have loved to have restored it. The next best was a 1985 Toyota SR5 pickup. Three accidents and 8 years later he couldn't kill it. That SR5 was as tough as nails. He's had several F-150's and all of them had problems. So now he's back to driving a Tundra.

Just my thoughts.

You can't even compare the durability and quality of trucks build from 1985 and older in any make or model.

Hell a dodge had metal dash in them till the 1980's

the stuff they make now is for profit not for customer satisfaction.

I laugh so hard at the stupid gimmicks the big 3 come out with, Harley Davidson, Hemi's in everything, Denali, Flex Fuel, ego boost, blah blah blah blah. And everyone falls for that crap, it's disgusting.

Just make your trucks better, now they all have sealed bearings in them so you can't grease anything, haha you honestly think those bearings will stay lubricated forever?

It's just to make more and more money off parts and new trucks.

Says the guy with over 100 posts in his first week on an internet forum....

I trust "experts" and others before I'd trust your "opinion".

Believe you me, I researched trucks for over a year before I bought my F150 - and it was hard to do, for in 1989 I swore I would never buy Ford again. All I bought were Honda's. But no matter where I looked...no matter who did the reviews, the F150 kept coming out at the top or 2nd in it's class.

I had an import truck - Mazda (yeah - basically a Ford Ranger) - great for around town, but when I wanted a tow vehicle, in it's class it was the F150. The imports weren't even close.

Again, if you buy a truck based on how it is compared to a refined car - then buy a car - you obviously don't need a truck.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it is on long journey's driving my F150.

I have been on these boards before, just under a different name, hell you are the guy that found one of my favourite beers for me "pacific pilsner"

No doubt the fords are beautiful trucks but when it comes pounding off road it's pretty hard to find any of the new big 3 holding up, and from personal experience that is the ultimate test.

I got a duramax cause I tow but if I didn't my first choice would be a 00-06 tundra.

And thanks again for the pacific pilsner, I bought 3 flats and need to make another trip soon!!

I drive a 2012 Ram Sport with a Hemi. 395 HP. Every option available except rear DVD player.

If you have kids, the crew cab is the way to go. Biggest back seat in the business. I'm getting about 13 litres for every 100 km on the highway. Almost as good as that wimpy little 6 banger turbo Ford has. With rear coil spring suspension, she handles like a car. And pulls my 20 foot boat with ease. By far the nicest and cleanest interior of all the trucks. And Ram upgraded the 13's interior to a whole new level. They also have a new 8 speed tranny and adjustable air suspension on the new ones. I wish I would have held out for a 13, but the price for a 12 at the end of the year was too good to pass up.

My brother in law is in the car business and gave me some good inside info on how to barter. Buy at the end if August and buy something they need to get rid of for next years stock and keep adding extras and walk away if they don't want to give it to you. There's too much competition nowadays. Those scumbags will do what it takes to make that sale.

Update:

So as of right now i've narrowed the options down to a Ford F-150, a Silverado and a Tacoma (which i'm still nervous about but won't rule it out until I test drive.) Purchase will not be made until the end of August but Ford does have a slight advantage with me because I have a connection at a Ford dealership to get a better than average deal. That being said, saving a few thousand initially will not sway me much since longevity and quality are not to be overlooked in the slightest.

in terms of towing, I would be using this for work so I would be hauling things like lumber, roofing materials, tools etc. We also have a trailer with a heavy gutter machine that will need hauling once in awhile. Currently my family's business uses a fleet of Ford 150's with eco boost and they handle these jobs just fine.

I'm not much for offroading although I haven't done enough to say I don't like/want to do it. The idea seems fun but I tend to treat my vehicles too kindly for something like that.

I have decided that no matter what I go with I will likely be putting 10k down to reduce payments.....weather I lease or finance I am not too sure yet. Anyone with experience with this can gladly give tips/thoughts as well. Like I said, I've never bought off a lot before.

When I bought my chevy I was actually looking for a tacoma at first, but couldn't condone spending 25% more on 50% less truck.

If you're in the city all the time, and just want a truck for the sake of having a truck, the tacoma will do everything for you. Don't need anything bigger. As soon as you step into the 1/2 ton trucks the Tundra is not competitive at all with the Ford, GMs, or Dodges.

Half Tons I would go Chevy/GMC, Dodge, then Ford. There isn't much for reliability reviews on the new dodges, but I've driven my boss's 2013 Ram 1500 sport a few times around the city and its been great. He gets good gas mileage, I've towed a boat with it no worries, and its really comfortable on the inside, can't deny that the dodges have the best interiors by far (just noticed you cut dodge from your list).

Would I get one over my Chevy? no. I'd love to get a 2014 Silverado 1500 crew cab with the full size bed and the 6.2L.

Consider buying the consumer reports for the vehicles you're looking at, the $15 will let you know exactly how much in discounts the dealer can go down.

I drive a 2012 Ram Sport with a Hemi. 395 HP. Every option available except rear DVD player.

If you have kids, the crew cab is the way to go. Biggest back seat in the business. I'm getting about 13 litres for every 100 km on the highway. Almost as good as that wimpy little 6 banger turbo Ford has. With rear coil spring suspension, she handles like a car. And pulls my 20 foot boat with ease. By far the nicest and cleanest interior of all the trucks. And Ram upgraded the 13's interior to a whole new level. They also have a new 8 speed tranny and adjustable air suspension on the new ones. I wish I would have held out for a 13, but the price for a 12 at the end of the year was too good to pass up.

My brother in law is in the car business and gave me some good inside info on how to barter. Buy at the end if August and buy something they need to get rid of for next years stock and keep adding extras and walk away if they don't want to give it to you. There's too much competition nowadays. Those scumbags will do what it takes to make that sale.

Archived