The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Splitting up the Sedins

mooremooremoore

I used to think that it was a good idea to split the twins up. Other teams read them pretty good now and have realized that by getting rough, they usually just shut down.

The Sedins play best together. They just never got the type of player they needed as a right winger.

Alex Burrows is one of my favourite players on the team and he does play well with the Sedins.

However, realistically, no one, other than an opposing goal-tender, fears him.

Alex plays very good along side Kesler. The two of them empower the 2nd line. So......

My opinion of the lines are as follows.....

1st / D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Z.Kassian

2nd/ C.Higgins-R.Kesler-A.Burrows

3rd / D. Booth-Bo Horvat-J.Hansen

4th /Tom Sestito-M. Santorelli-B.Richardson or something like this.

When you have a think about it; we have our three best passers, also our 3 best puck possession forwards all on one line.

It should be no mystery as to why our depth lines have trouble scoring.

Similarly Sedin/Sedin/Burrows is made up of three 185 lb players, only Burrows having world class wheels. It's far from a physically imposing line, and play off coaches have been exploiting that match up glitch. Particularly on the road; see Claude Julien?

We have plenty of guys on our 2knd and 3rd lines that have goal scoring potential. Rather than trading for some play making and puck possession guys (this is also not the strength of our pool of prospects, save perhaps Schroeder), it would make sense to balance the lines out.

I would do it for road games, and keep together our PP.

Booth - H. Sedin - Burrows

D. Sedin - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Weise

If we had to split them up, I'd leave Bur with Henrik and put Daniel with Kes. Booth and Kassian are both power forwards, so they need to split up accordingly. Henrik is such a good passer that the top line wouldn't suffer too much really.. The second line looks awesome! It seems that Richardson may get a chance as our 3rd line center, but we'll see! I think it would be better suited for one of our young players to get the chance to try out for.

Fans and AV were too scared of the idea. I think it should be tried at least for 5+ games. Henrik being a center and has proved he can play well and rack up points without Daniel.

Daniel can also make plays on his own and doesn't need a great center to be setup always.

We would have 2 legit number 1 lines with the Sedins split. It is worth a try at least.

Henrik proved he can play on his own. and with Danny not being on the same line as Hank than Hank may not feel as pressured to pass it and to start shooting it more. The year he won the Art Ross and Hart trophies he had more shots on net then any other season that hes played http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/1097/henrik-sedin Thats also when Danny broke his ankle and was gone for 29 games WHICH LED TO HANK SHOOTING MORE and not having to pass as much. Henrik is 33 and by now he isn't going to change his style of play to a shoot first kinda guy but if him and danny werent on the same line then it would give henrik a more balanced offensive approach with hopefully more goals and dialing back the assists.

Booth H.Sedin Kassian

D.Sedin Kesler Hansen

Higgins Schroeder Burrows

Sestito Santorelli Weise

Top Line: Booth is the power forward that we need on the top line with Hank, not to mention Kassians importance to Henriks success. Hank will pass it to Boothie, he'll cras the net, and Kassian will get the garbage goal. Both Booth and Kassian are strong in the corners and are more then capable of playing the cycle game with Hank AND they wont keep cycling for 5 mins like daniel did, they'll CRASH THE NET.

Second Line:True that there is no playmaker on this line but it will be a very dangerous line nevertheless. Kesler and Hansen will protect Danny. Kesler and Hansen will also increase the speed on this line, something the twins lack on the first, This is a strictly goal scoring line and Torts will love the fact that Kes and Hansen will go balls out to block shots and hit anyone who touches danny.

Third Line: With Kassian and Hansen being placed on the right wing of their respective lines Burrows can slot down to the third making our top three lines dangerous and capable of scoring and contributing offensively while at the same time not sacrificing defense. This line is purely metaphoric considering the condition and health of JoSchro and the whole situation with his shoulder.

Fourth Line: This is where it gets tricky, since we resigned Sestito and Weise to 1 way deals we obviously cant send them down to the AHL, Santorelli will make a good 4th line center, he may not have the frame ( 6'0 190 lbs) but he's the best we got because I wouldnt want to rush Lain's development just to play 7 mins a night when he can play for the farm team for 13 mins a night.

Sidenote: I know some of you will put dif scenarios so here. If people are thinking about putting Gaunce on the third line and demoting JoSchro to the 4th (or Vice versa) are you really willing to possibly mess up Gaunces development for a meaningless season? (If Gillis actually makes some huge moves and gets Edler to waive his NTC and we stock up for the playoffs then dismiss my "meaningless season" tag) But this guy is the future for the canucks, along with Shinkruk, Horvat, Jensen, Sweatt, etc. and I'll be damned if were gunna waste this kid's talent by throwing him on the fourth line with 2 plugs. If Francesco Aquilini can stop being the cheap man that he is he should GO ALL OUT THIS YEAR, Our core is getting older and by this time next year I can gurantee we wont have A CHANCE to win the cup, the Sedins are on the last year of their contracts, Kes isnt getting any more durable, who knows how long Luo can handle the amount of games he can play as a starter and when the Sedin's DO retire we'll have a LONG rebuild thanks to poor drafting and AV's reluctancy to play younger guys. WE KNOW WE COULD MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THE LAST 4 YEARS yet AV chose to piss all that time away by not playing our younger guys and PLAYING ALBERTS OVER BALLARD.

Case and Point: Start DEVELOPING CHEMISTRY EARLY IN THE SEASON AND STAY WITH IT THROUGHOUT THE YEAR. This is crunch time, we're in a new, tougher division, the wins ARENT gunna come easy anymore so if there is anytime to go all out ITS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

I used to think that it was a good idea to split the twins up. Other teams read them pretty good now and have realized that by getting rough, they usually just shut down.

The Sedins play best together. They just never got the type of player they needed as a right winger.

Alex Burrows is one of my favourite players on the team and he does play well with the Sedins.

However, realistically, no one, other than an opposing goal-tender, fears him.

Alex plays very good along side Kesler. The two of them empower the 2nd line. So......

My opinion of the lines are as follows.....

1st / D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Z.Kassian

2nd/ C.Higgins-R.Kesler-A.Burrows

3rd / D. Booth-Bo Horvat-J.Hansen

4th /Tom Sestito-M. Santorelli-B.Richardson or something like this.

I know this is an idea that has been thrown around before, but I really think it's something that should be implemented this year.

Everyone talks about certain players chemistry together. Toews and Kane. Datsyuk and Zetterberg. But the truth is these guys barely ever play on the same line. They get put together for PP and that's pretty well it. By doing this they insure a much more balanced line-up. That whole don't put your eggs in one basket thing.

This is what I feel the line-up should look like come October.

Booth H.Sedin Kassian

D. Sedin Kesler Burrows

Higgins Schroeder Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Tanev Weber

Luongo

Then throw the Sedins back together for the PP and first shift after PK.

I feel this would really balance the offense on the team. I especially feel that having Daniel on the 2nd line would really help out Kesler. Kesler isn't much of a play maker so having Daniel would help him. He thrives while playing with intelligent players(eg Samuelsson, Demitra, Sundin). And obviously he and Burrows have good chemistry together. Henrik between Booth and Kass is an experiment, but if it doesn't work out there's many options in changes. What with the influx of youth and guys like Higgins and Hansen that can move up the lineup finding something that works shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also thinking that come playoff time this lineup would suit our team much better. The Sedins game is pretty good in the regular season, but it becomes less effective in the playoffs.

Anyway we'll see what happens, but I hope Torts will try this out.

Fans and AV were too scared of the idea. I think it should be tried at least for 5+ games. Henrik being a center and has proved he can play well and rack up points without Daniel.

Daniel can also make plays on his own and doesn't need a great center to be setup always.

We would have 2 legit number 1 lines with the Sedins split. It is worth a try at least.

Archived