The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aska chef anything!

Magikal

Magikal... You recommend any good restaurants South of the Fraser? Wife and I used to love the Beecher Street Cafe but it unfortunately closed and all that seems to be out here are chain restaurants (Gordon Food Service clones!) and a few decent Indian places.

I was surprised to hear my friend (English) suggest that all meals would be replaced as it's customary for all guests to eat at the same time. Eating out is a treat and is supposed to be pleasurable and if one guest is playing with the saltshaker then that kinda ruins it.

Okay now an actual food advice question. I love omelettes, but I get bored of the usual thing in them (some sort of breakfast meat, green onions, cheese). What's something that would be good in an omelette that I probably won't think of?

The Old Surrey Restaurant, which is now called Bistro 72 I believe was a decent place for French cuisine that used a lot of product from the farms in the area. I haven't tried Bistro 72 though.

I've also heard some good things about Eighteen27 but i've never been.

Okay now an actual food advice question. I love omelettes, but I get bored of the usual thing in them (some sort of breakfast meat, green onions, cheese). What's something that would be good in an omelette that I probably won't think of?

In some fine dining establishments that might be how they do things. I for one would not be happy if my meal gets to my table and then they take it away because my friend beside me says their steak is over done.

If you mean in the kitchen we find that we ruined a meal before the food goes to the table then yes we replace all the items ordered before they go out.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Not to hijack thread... but aim for good, not fancy. Fancy food CAN certainly be good but there's a LOT of very good, simple dishes out there will impress and taste great. Most Italian cooking is generally simple ingredients and preparation for example. IMO you're better off knowing how to prepare something simple REALLY well than trying to impress with something overly complicated.

Key is to use quality, fresh ingredients and from there just practice to learn the timing of how to cook them well. Getting pasta al dente when sauce/meat/veg are ready for example. You don't want to have under/over cooked meat/veg, poorly seasoned/reduced sauce or mushy pasta for example.

A helpful key I've found to doing that is having all your ingredients on hand/cut etc ahead of time. Veg cut, meat prepped, spices out etc before you even turn on an element.

From there you can add something like making fresh baked bread ( which is REALLY quite easy) to accompany the meal. Invest in some good EVOO and a higher end balsamic to dip it in. Develop a palate for good wine (there's plenty of good $10-$30 bottles of wine out there) and follow basic rules for accompanying the meal. Heck a lot of wines even tell you what kind of food they pair well with right on the bottle

Archived