The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade Rumour] Sabres Will Eat Part Of Vanek's Cap Hit

SabreFan1

Sabres wont take booth. They are rebuilding . They dont need a 29 year old.

I think a fair offer right NOW for Vanek is Jensen and a 1st in 2014. We would get a full crack at re signing him and I think he would fit in here.

If the Sabres want to deal him as a pure rental at the deadline, I would give up our first and thats it.

I would roll the dice on Vanek as a rental.

Factors being:

1. Buffalo would need to retain ~20% salary.

2. Booth's salary would need to be dumped (way easier said than done).

3. Trade shouldn't include any other roster players.

Something like Jensen, 2014 1st, and maybe a conditional pick. Is that enough to get Vanek?

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Thomas Vanek ($5.714m—20.0%)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Kellan Lain ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Andrew Alberts ($0.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,517,619; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $782,381

I would roll the dice on Vanek as a rental.

Factors being:

1. Buffalo would need to retain ~20% salary.

2. Booth's salary would need to be dumped (way easier said than done).

3. Trade shouldn't include any other roster players.

Something like Jensen, 2014 1st, and maybe a conditional pick. Is that enough to get Vanek?

Can you explain why a lottery team would trade to rent Vanek? Its going to be a team that will net you anywhere from a 20 to 30th pick. You may want to be a little more realistic.

In fact, since you have some insight into the Buffalo GM, how about telling us all what would Buffalo specifically want?

I'm not the person making a deal. I just speculate. Some people like to pretend they are de facto GM's but I know better than that.

Look at Regier's trades in the past. He nearly always ends up getting more for players than they are worth to the franchise. I read an article a few months back where they asked who was the toughest GM to deal with and the GM that they were interviewing said Regier by far. Where Darcy fails horribly is in the free agent market. Worst free agent GM in the league.

Its hard to make trade proposals. Its not an easy thing to stick your neck out and face possible ridicule. What some folks do is simply bash other proposals down, yet never take the personal responsibility by making their own proposal.

Make a proposal. What do you think is a fair price from the Vancouver Canucks for Vanek? If you cant make one, then its hard to justify critiquing another persons attempt at it.

Heres the question you've gotta ask yourselves.

Would you give up one of or two of.

Shinkaruk, Jensen, Horvat, Gaunce, Subban, Tommernes, Cederholm, Mallet, Tanev or Corrado AND pick or picks to get Vanek for one season, at which time he will most likely bolt or demand more money than the Sedins are making?

That is going to be the asking price, youth for possibility. Future for short term present. Honestly, I cannot even believe some of the people who bandy this idea, they're the same people still moaning about the Hodgson deal. Yet they want to send another promising prospect or two on our charts and a pick or two for an expensive rental.

Look at the long term history our team has had for rentals. Sundin is probably the most notable for playoff scoring but that's really it

Vanek is not worth it unless he's a UFA and only costs the ink on the contract to sign. Giving up any of those youngsters and or picks would be damned near criminal when he might be had for free at the end of the season.

I mean really...

Honestly if I were MG I would only trade for Vanek as a rental half way through the season. He would be cheaper then and his cap hit after the Sabres took at least 25% would be very negligible. If he can wring an extension contract on him after the season then great. If not then at least he didn't give the farm away.

I'm using examples of the TYPE of player I'd like. My idea would be to offer up Edler for someone similar to Vanek, and then bring in a shutdown guy on a cheaper contract as a rental to eat Edler's minutes. I wasn't trying to compare Mitchell to Vanek, just offering up an example Canuck fans would be familiar with.

Buffalo might even be willing to take Edler in hopes he can play well with Ehrhoff.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Vanek

Booth-Schroeder-Jensen

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Rental-Corrado

Alberts

Weber

That's a solid lineup.

Halfway through the season and no more than a first or second round pick to go with a decent but not top flight prospect. I don't know the Comets well enough to give you an exact name of a former second or third round choice. Vanek can be streaky at times. If he goes into a slump in the playoffs then Vancouver can't take the chance of giving away any significant part of it's future.

The organization is too close to the cup to risk a silly move/trade.

Archived