The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade Rumour] Sabres Will Eat Part Of Vanek's Cap Hit

SabreFan1

Yeah, but... I dunno. Seems to me (from what limited genuine news is coming out of Buffalo that quotes Vanek) that he's looking at a bigger picture than his own pay cheque. I don't know much about the guy, his rep background in Buffalo, etc. like you might, but from the recent stuff and what he's had to say of the rebuilding in Buffalo, it appears that he's at a stage of considering what a team has to offer beyond just his own pay.

I wouldn't be surprised, if the youth rebuild in Buffalo isn't a total dud this season, to see Vanek want to extend his contract and stay in Buffalo. While if he does get shipped out, if he looks hard at the bigger picture before selecting what team he signs for next.

Vanek will be likely be looking for a long-term deal at around 6-6.5. If he is going to take a paycut, it will be to join a team that will offer him multiple, legitimate shots at winning the cup over the course of the deal. Unfortunately, that is not Vancouver.

We have a decent shot this season, and maybe next, but then our key players will be getting too old. And we likely don't have the high-end talent in our prospects to replace them. At that point, we'll likely be a middle-of-the-pack team, struggling to even make the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong...but I certainly wouldn't gamble a paycut on it.

Archived