The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

You guys are a shame...Sedins are our franchise players. $7 mill for then isn't shooting us. It's fair and they've dropped a bit but it's expected considering every player including them is playing a more rounded game bettering them as players.

...franchise players locked up for 4 years and people are conplaining for f***s sake :picard:

Why not sign Linden to a 4 year $7Mper contract right now too. he has done a lot for the franchise too.

The point is you can't live in the past and hand out large contracts to aging players who are on the decline

If this team needs to go through a rebuild they need a veteran presence that will stabilize the team and keep them from being a league doormat. As long as this team has the Sedins they will remain competitive and they can pass the torch to new young players.

Contrast this with the oilers who kept no vets around and expected 18 year olds to turn the franchise around. They now have a losing culture and it looks like they are years away from turning it around.

7 milliion is over payment, but I think they can be very effective in a secondary role in the next few years.

Exactly this. You need the presence of guys like Sedin's and Kesler especially when re-tooling, getting younger, turning a chapter so you at least don't become the Oilers. Oilers f'd up by shipping away everyone and when it was all said and done, the youngsters were the only ones and had no veterans to look to.

...common sense really, at least we won't be the Oilers and this team will remain competitive with the emergence of younger players..

Why not sign Linden to a 4 year $7Mper contract right now too. he has done a lot for the franchise too.

The point is you can't live in the past and hand out large contracts to aging players who are on the decline

Exactly. Well said. This mentality that the Sedins deserved $7M a year at age 33,is stupefying and indicative of blind homerism.

Way to take what I said to the total extreme bud, shows a lot of insight you have there.

And Sedin's on the decline doesn't mean they'll be getting 40 points a year. They'll still be getting 70+ points a year when healthy which is just below ppg and if you ask me, that's solid money especially since they are franchise players and will help others along the way. And even then, points don't mean much. Toews doesn't score a ppg, he's around what the Sedins will hit the next few years. Why? Cause he has a rounded game which let's him be a better player. Ask Yzerman too...when he started winning Cups, his point totals dropped so he could round off his game.

You're acting like the signing is a virus and will kill us...calm your ass down and be appreciative.

You're right, they do need to be better. It's very apparent, but I think they're capable of being better. They don't deserve a free pass, I agree on that too. And the Luongo/Edler crucifixions are ridiculous.

The entire team has struggled to score. There have been bright spots, but we need to be better. It's no coincidence that Burrows play falling off coincides with the twins. I disagree on the compete level bit though, they want to win. They're different players and different people, they aren't Kesler.

The reality is we're married to them for years to come, and we need to get them going and I like to think we will. Players have off years, this is one for most of the team. It's up to Gillis and management to retool and turn things around for next season. This season is likely the beginning of a transition for this team.

It's not the fans responsibility to get the Sedins going. They are grown men being paid $7M a season. If thasituation motivate, what will?

Great post though. I appreciate your angle on the situation.

You guys are a shame...Sedins are our franchise players. $7 mill for then isn't shooting us. It's fair and they've dropped a bit but it's expected considering every player including them is playing a more rounded game bettering them as players.

...franchise players locked up for 4 years and people are conplaining for f***s sake :picard:

I see you're of the variety that believes players should be paid for what they've done, not what they're worth & what's best for the team. :) it's good too see. The sedins led us to a conference championship and I believe it's okay to cripple the franchise for 5ish years to reward them for that. Great people for the city of Vancouver. If there was any other good citizens there, it'd be a much better place.

85,300/game is definately worth haveing classy people as leaders of this team. I don't care if they're on a steady decline. Classy one-dimensional players are very hard to find in this day and age. I'd even love to have Malhotra back at 5 million/ year x 3.

#WinnersOfClass

/thread

And yea they are overpaid but even then it's by a bit. Getting $7 mill, overpaid by $1 mill is fair? Woah, big whoop...the bet canucks to ever lace them up and people are crying cause they are getting a few mill extra even though it's proven it isn't bad considering how much the cap will go up next year, they're cap % towards this teams total cap is great value.

I see you're of the variety that believes players should be paid for what they've done, not what they're worth & what's best for the team. :) it's good too see. The sedins led us to a conference championship and I believe it's okay to cripple the franchise for 5ish years to reward them for that. Great people for the city of Vancouver. If there was any other good citizens there, it'd be a much better place.

85,300/game is definately worth haveing classy people as leaders of this team. I don't care if they're on a steady decline. Classy one-dimensional players are very hard to find in this day and age. I'd even love to have Malhotra back at 5 million/ year x 3.

#WinnersOfClass

/thread

Fantastic post. Spot on.

One bad month and you guys want to blow up the building.

Ok - so the Sedins decide to retire tomorrow, give back all the cash, now Gillis has 14 million to play with.

Who do you bring in? Dont you think there are 29 other teams looking for the same players? And why should those players come here once the Sedins are gone and your top scoring threats after Kesler is Chris Higgins.

Please elaborate...id like to hear some sober thoughts.

And yea they are overpaid but even then it's by a bit. Getting $7 mill, overpaid by $1 mill is fair? Woah, big whoop...the bet canucks to ever lace them up and people are crying cause they are getting a few mill extra even though it's proven it isn't bad considering how much the cap will go up next year, they're cap % towards this teams total cap is great value.

You really have no clue. Luongo, Linden, Kesler, and even Bure are better than the Sedins. They carried the team on their back when needed.

The Sedins?

I don't see people complaining about Ovie? He had an awful year a year or 2 back getting paid $9 mill...was he on the decline? How about Iggy, Semin, Giroux, Horton, Legwand etc...you guys are disgraceful. If your butthurt about this then go away and cheer for someone else...I'd love to hear how you'd replace not signing the Sedin's...oh yea, before one you smart asses try to answer that, you can't..

One bad month and you guys want to blow up the building.

Ok - so the Sedins decide to retire tomorrow, give back all the cash, now Gillis has 14 million to play with.

Who do you bring in? Dont you think there are 29 other teams looking for the same players? And why should those players come here once the Sedins are gone and your top scoring threats after Kesler is Chris Higgins.

Please elaborate...id like to hear some sober thoughts.

One bad month? What about the two first round exits?

I think you overestimate the situation. If the Sedins left, it would signal a significant change and players would be interested in joining a team in transition.

I think you overestimate the situation. If the Sedins left, it would signal a significant change and players would be interested in joining a team in transition.

Just like how everyone is dying to join the Oilers and Flames right? Oh yea, about that..

You guys are clueless lol. Don't know much, think it's a video game and don't know there's something called GM rep and how stupid hypothetical situations like this not signing the Sedins would massively effect the team down the road with FA's...I'm done here lol, good day.

I don't see people complaining about Ovie? He had an awful year a year or 2 back getting paid $9 mill...was he on the decline? How about Iggy, Semin, Giroux, Horton, Legwand etc...you guys are disgraceful. If your butthurt about this then go away and cheer for someone else...I'd love to hear how you'd replace not signing the Sedin's...oh yea, before one you smart asses try to answer that, you can't..

Aw...You seem upset. Ovechkin and Iginla aren't on the Canucks. That's why no one cares. We care about this team and it's legacy which seems to be heading south again.

Speaking of other teams, when Crosby went down, did Malkin fold up and go on a 15 game drought? No.

I rest my case. Homer.

They lost to two excellent teams in the first round one of which won the cup.

I know this team is not good enough. I just want to hear some opinions about who Gillis should bring in with the 14 million dollars he frees up by letting the sedins walk.

Some fans think they can just open the door and a couple of elite players will walk in and replace the Sedins. In reality that rarely happens.

I think they should keep these two around to keep the team stabilized while they retool. When I mean stabilized I mean keeping them competitive and passing the torch to a new generation that is acquired through the draft and trades.

Aw...You seem upset. Ovechkin and Iginla aren't on the Canucks. That's why no one cares. We care about this team and it's legacy which seems to be heading south again.

Speaking of other teams, when Crosby went down, did Malkin fold up and go on a 15 game drought? No.

I rest my case. Homer.

When Daniel went down a few years back, did Hank fold up and not produce? I rest my case; have the memory of a goldfish.

I rest my case. Troll.

They lost to two excellent teams in the first round one of which won the cup.

I know this team is not good enough. I just want to hear some opinions about who Gillis should bring in with the 14 million dollars he frees up by letting the sedins walk.

Some fans think they can just open the door and a couple of elite players will walk in and replace the Sedins. In reality that rarely happens.

I think they should keep these two around to keep the team stabilized while they retool. When I mean stabilized I mean keeping them competitive and passing the torch to a new generation that is acquired through the draft and trades.

Exactly this. These smartasses, tell us who we should have signed? Clarkson - LOL! Most people here wanted him for $5+ mill and I can assume this guy was one of them...

Just wanted to add to my point about the difficulty of getting elite UFAs to sign in light of a hypothetical situation where Gillis lets the Sedins walk.

The Detroit Redwings, of all teams, were heavily into the Suter/Parise sweepstakes. They bid up a storm and in the end lost to Minnesota. If a reputable franchise like the wings has difficulty recruiting elite players what chance do you think that a Canucks team with very little scoring depth and very little in the blue chip prospects department can attract replacements for the Sedins?

Look at teams like Calgary and Edmonton - any UFAs want to go there you think?

Archived