The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pokemon X and Y

Rex425

I've never played a single one in the past either. I have a few friends playing X so I think I'll attempt it.

I think the quality of some of the recent 3DS games is leading people to do things like this. I know lots of people who'd never played Fire Emblem before but picked up Awakening and loved it... I'd never played Animal Crossing before but I ended up buying it because I knew so many people who had. I'm a lifelong Pokemon fan myself, though.

Enough gameplay to justify a $210 purchase though?

I forked up $200 just for Pokemon, but I ended up getting a couple of other games and they've been great. I don't really use the 3D since it makes me dizzy but the graphics are so much better. I love how big the screen on the XL is too. Definitely think it's a good investment!

I'm willing to make a bet that Z will be tougher. X and Y could certainly have been test runs for a lot of these new mechanics. I don't mind it thus far. Lots of reasons to take my time in this game though. Also I'm still sad there's no gambling in Pokemon any more :(

Do you really think Z will be much different? Maybe an extra bit in the story for the 3rd legendary and both Xerneas and Yveltal available for capture. Isn't that generally the status quo for the 3rd game of a particular generation?

Do you really think Z will be much different? Maybe an extra bit in the story for the 3rd legendary and both Xerneas and Yveltal available for capture. Isn't that generally the status quo for the 3rd game of a particular generation?

Overall I don't see a massive difference. But I'm sure there has been a lot of emails sent to game freak about how easy this game was to fly through. I'm just hoping for a bigger difficulty level.

Zygarde and Mewtwo were definitely a lot harder to catch, but pretty much the only thing challenging about the game. I've been roaming around with nothing to do for a bit now, there's just like.. Battle Maison. It's pretty boring.. I was expecting more post-game content.

Zygarde and Mewtwo were definitely a lot harder to catch, but pretty much the only thing challenging about the game. I've been roaming around with nothing to do for a bit now, there's just like.. Battle Maison. It's pretty boring.. I was expecting more post-game content.

I think it was gold and silver where you could go and travel Kanto after beating the elite 4. They need more of this kind of thinking.

I think it was gold and silver where you could go and travel Kanto after beating the elite 4. They need more of this kind of thinking.

There were a lot of rumours about being able to go to Hoenn after beating the Pokemon League because of all of the Hoenn references but doesn't seem like it. Gamefreak did say that there would be a lot of hidden content and WiFi events coming. Maybe it'd be possible through DLC?

There were a lot of rumours about being able to go to Hoenn after beating the Pokemon League because of all of the Hoenn references but doesn't seem like it. Gamefreak did say that there would be a lot of hidden content and WiFi events coming. Maybe it'd be possible through DLC?

Well DLC has opened way to a great new world. It would be nice if game freak would choose to take this path. I usually quit playing after beating the elite 4 and filling my pokedex. I have almost no interest in battling other people. I enjoy the collecting and story. After that it's in to the next game. I do however feel an MMO would do very well one day.

Well DLC has opened way to a great new world. It would be nice if game freak would choose to take this path. I usually quit playing after beating the elite 4 and filling my pokedex. I have almost no interest in battling other people. I enjoy the collecting and story. After that it's in to the next game. I do however feel an MMO would do very well one day.

For their first venture into 3D, it's a very good game. That said, they definitely could've expanded the postgame more... I haven't gotten there yet but I've heard from multiple people that there isn't a whole lot to do. DLC content would be nice though. I'm definitely looking to battle some random people over PSS when I'm done the game - with no way to hack (yet) or to transfer over Pokemon from previous gens (yet) I'm hoping the competitive scene will be a little fresher and more interesting.

http://pokemmo.eu/

And yes from what I have read people have sounded underwhelmed from the post game content, difficulty and how fast the game goes. I still want to get it but wish they would have let us go to another region or at least given a bit more post game content. Although it sounds like the exp.share makes everything a breeze so maybe turning it off will even it out a bit.

Good point that online will be fresher because of no transfering yet, I hadn't though of that. As far as 2 regions in one game I guess that will make my SoulSilver seem even better to me.

Guys, be careful when saving in Lumiose City (the big city with the Eiffel Tower). Save indoors if you have to save there, because there's a save glitch when you save outdoors. I totally forgot and saved outdoors after completing a bunch of Looker missions, only to have to restart from the beginning because it didn't save properly.

Just picked up X today. First time I've ever played Pokemon.

Noob question to get me started... How do I know when to kill or capture Pokemon ? When should I swap out my Pokemon ? I've used the same one from the very start and now it's a level 15. Is there any reason to swap out for one I catch ? They are all like level 3 or 4.

Just picked up X today. First time I've ever played Pokemon.

Noob question to get me started... How do I know when to kill or capture Pokemon ? When should I swap out my Pokemon ? I've used the same one from the very start and now it's a level 15. Is there any reason to swap out for one I catch ? They are all like level 3 or 4.

Best time to catch a Pokemon is to get its health down, preferably til the HP bar is red. You can also use status moves and paralyze or put it to sleep to make it easier. Eventually you'll get EXP share so you won't have to swap out and train your other Pokemon, and you could technically just run with your starter and still have a balanced team because EXP share will help the other Pokemon in your party to level up. Try to have a balanced team though with good type coverage.

If you've never played Pokemon before, you should look up some guides on Google. Some great sites are Serebii, Bulbapedia, and Marriland.

Here's a quick guide:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/10667-Pokemon-X-and-Y-Guide-for-Beginners-Tips-and-Cheats

And you'll need to familiarize yourself with the type chart:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Type_chart

Hope that helps a bit!

Archived