The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The lack of secondary scoring is so glaring...

Lui's Knob

He was given the core of the Sedin's, Kesler, Salo, Edler, Burrows, Bieksa. All he had to do was fill in and maintain the pieces that made us successful. Instead, he trades away all the pieces that played key supporting roles in what some consider the best season in franchise history. Now we're left with a bunch of grinders that couldn't hold a candle to the talent and creativity that flowed through our 2011 team.

The salary cap had something to do with that.

And the lack of size against Boston, which everyone agreed needed addressing.

So we lost Ehrhoff to salary cap, Salo for youth, Samuelsson for speed, size and youth. We lost a lot of skills, veteran savvy and smarts for young grinders.

Higgins works his butt off, He just get's put in a position where he doesn't belong, He belongs on the 3rd line Period. Gillis is starting to remind me a of Dave Nonis with his tenure here, where he brings in experimental players and just hopes it works! Ex: the Sturm signing..yepp that's our GM.

Yup. I remember when MG was brought in to let go of the old regime and make sure Naslund didn't come back. Well now it seems like MG is in the position of not wanting to trade anyone away and is getting too attached to players he loves.To make it worse, we've lost Ehrhoff Salo Coho Torres Malhotra Grabner and haven't replaced any of them with anyone good. Meanwhile everyone on this team has been taking paycuts, and for what? So MG could shaft them and sign a bunch of project players who do nothing for this team. I think Torts is starting to realize this team isn't that good.

MG has been fully aware of this for two years, in fact he's the one and only reason for this problem. You cannot trade away elite players for project players other teams don't want.Canucks will not make the playoffs this year in this confrence without a massive deal which will bolster the second line. Even if means moving Kesler to the LW position and bringing in a very good playmaking center. Booth is terrible, kassian looks stunned and has zero hockey IQ. Hansen, Santorelli and the Sedins look great and Kesler looks very average at best. Gonna be a long year if Gillis doesn't pull the trigger on something massive soon.

Ryan Kesler is not a second line player. Not at center and not at the wing. He doesn't produce offence, in fact the end of his wrist shots are where offence and plays go to die. People need to stop blaming his "3rd liner wingers" those third liner wingers look far better and more dangerous than him most nights. trading Hodgson and hitching the canucks wagon to the top 6 kesler train was a major error by management.

The salary cap had something to do with that.

And the lack of size against Boston, which everyone agreed needed addressing.

So we lost Ehrhoff to salary cap, Salo for youth, Samuelsson for speed, size and youth. We lost a lot of skills, veteran savvy and smarts for young grinders.

Ehrhoff wasn't a salary cap issue, it was a term issue. Ehrhoff signed for $4,000,000 a year in Buffalo because he got the long term he wanted. MG was too stubborn to give Ehrhoff a long term deal because of his own self imposed limitations and the fact that he wanted to give the young up and comers a chance, you know, like... uh.. well.. Tanev I guess? The rest are true though, although Salo was out steadiest dman.

Have you watched any sabers games?

I see the Canucks are only leading Edmonton in our division-the only team the Canucks have beaten without O/T.

Kassian is 22 years old , has had a nice holiday and he mustered one shot and one hit tonight.

I think the .org should continue to reward him for his outstanding play.

Yup. I remember when MG was brought in to let go of the old regime and make sure Naslund didn't come back. Well now it seems like MG is in the position of not wanting to trade anyone away and is getting too attached to players he loves.To make it worse, we've lost Ehrhoff Salo Coho Torres Malhotra Grabner and haven't replaced any of them with anyone good. Meanwhile everyone on this team has been taking paycuts, and for what? So MG could shaft them and sign a bunch of project players who do nothing for this team. I think Torts is starting to realize this team isn't that good.

We don't have a grade A sniper.

We don't have a franchise Dman.

We don't have a franchise goalie any more.

We only have 1 playmaking centre... a good one but 1 is all we have.

We don't have a true enforcer who can play regular minutes.

We have a very good 3C playing 2C.

We have a very good 4C playing 3C.

We don't have anyone who scares other team's D on our forecheck... at least not yet.

It's a miracle we are still a good team.

I don't agree with trading Kesler but he does need better linemates. Kesler has never been an offensive player anyways, yes he is capable offensively but he's more of an all-around two way player who gets his goals from hard work rather than skill and creativity.

If we can't find better players to provide offense we need to change our style to suit our strengths.

Then maybe penciling him in as the de facto second line center for all time wasn't such a great plan.

I see the Canucks are only leading Edmonton in our division-the only team the Canucks have beaten without O/T.

Kassian is 22 years old , has had a nice holiday and he mustered one shot and one hit tonight.

I think the .org should continue to reward him for his outstanding play.

I'm pretty hard on Kassian, I'll admit I'm a Hodgson fan. With that I had high hopes for Kassian tonight, he did not produce and he looked like that slug he's always looked like. If someone says any different then show me the tape

Ehrhoff wasn't a salary cap issue, it was a term issue. Ehrhoff signed for $4,000,000 a year in Buffalo because he got the long term he wanted. MG was too stubborn to give Ehrhoff a long term deal because of his own self imposed limitations and the fact that he wanted to give the young up and comers a chance, you know, like... uh.. well.. Tanev I guess? The rest are true though, although Salo was out steadiest dman.

Of all the guys we lost I miss Salo the most.

I'm pretty hard on Kassian, I'll admit I'm a Hodgson fan. With that I had high hopes for Kassian tonight, he did not produce and he looked like that slug he's always looked like. If someone says any different then show me the tape

I landed a big hit on Subban... highlight of the night.

Should've fought somebody if you ask me.

Of all the guys we lost I miss Salo the most.

It went all downhill when MG refused to give Torres a 700k increase and an extra year. We had one of the best 4th line in the league with Torres back there and not to mention his chemisty with Lappiere.

It went all downhill when MG refused to give Torres a 700k increase and an extra year. We had one of the best 4th line in the league with Torres back there and not to mention his chemisty with Lappiere.

I miss Torres too. Him and Salo were not hard to resign.

Although Garrison has been very good for us so that lessens that Salo wtihdraw a bit.

But Torres... what a joke not to resign him.

Good point, Not like anything changes.

Every team in the league wants a top 6 winger who can score goals consistently...they don't just grow off trees. To get one Gillis will have to give up a quality piece (Edler? Horvat?) If a player that fit our team came at a good price Gillis would have gotten us one a long time ago.

If Gillis does a trade like that, people will start complaining about our poor defensive depth and lack of blue-chip prospects in the system...

It's still early on in the season, I wouldn't worry too much. Yes the Canucks aren't playing up to the standard that the fans expect them to but to be frank the regular season doesn't matter that much. The 8 seed LA Kings were average all year before getting hot in the playoffs; the 2009 Penguins had a terribly average season and ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

I know that those situations don't happen often but fans should stop panicking so early into the season. I'm seeing a lot of positives from the Canucks this year. I'm liking the Canucks never-give-up attitude and it's great to see us continue playing hard even when we have a lead.

While Hamhuis has been bad. Edler has really stepped up his game. I'm sure that Hamhuis will be able to find his game soon. Also, Booth has been playing great recently....not to mention we are missing Burrows.

Believe in the Canucks!

I miss Torres too. Him and Salo were not hard to resign.

Although Garrison has been very good for us so that lessens that Salo wtihdraw a bit.

But Torres... what a joke not to resign him.

Then Gillis went on a plug shopping spree signing Duco, Pinozotto, Mancari and that other ex Florida dude. What a joke...

We don't have a grade A sniper.

We don't have a franchise Dman.

We don't have a franchise goalie any more.

We only have 1 playmaking centre... a good one but 1 is all we have.

We don't have a true enforcer who can play regular minutes.

We have a very good 3C playing 2C.

We have a very good 4C playing 3C.

We don't have anyone who scares other team's D on our forecheck... at least not yet.

It's a miracle we are still a good team.

Like a boat full of holes... :( Slowly sinking down the standings...

Every team in the league wants a top 6 winger who can score goals consistently...they don't just grow off trees. To get one Gillis will have to give up a quality piece (Edler? Horvat?) If a player that fit our team came at a good price Gillis would have gotten us one a long time ago.

If Gillis does a trade like that, people will start complaining about our poor defensive depth and lack of blue-chip prospects in the system...

It's still early on in the season, I wouldn't worry too much. Yes the Canucks aren't playing up to the standard that the fans expect them to but to be frank the regular season doesn't matter that much. The 8 seed LA Kings were average all year before getting hot in the playoffs; the 2009 Penguins had a terribly average season and ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

I know that those situations don't happen often but fans should stop panicking so early into the season. I'm seeing a lot of positives from the Canucks this year. I'm liking the Canucks never-give-up attitude and it's great to see us continue playing hard even when we have a lead.

While Hamhuis has been bad. Edler has really stepped up his game. I'm sure that Hamhuis will be able to find his game soon. Also, Booth has been playing great recently....not to mention we are missing Burrows.

Believe in the Canucks!

??? How so. He's being payed 4+ million dollars to be a scoring top six winger. I ain't seeing that so i fail to see how he's playing great. He's trying......

Then Gillis went on a plug shopping spree signing Duco, Pinozotto, Mancari and that other ex Florida dude. What a joke...

No he traded the offensive minded two year farm team leading scorer Shirokov for the plug Duco. .. just a small correction.

Believe in the Canucks!

I wish I had this outlook. The thing is, we had blue chips in Coho, Cory and Grabs, and never got that legit top 6 winger we needed. Coho for an unproven winger, Cory for an unproven prospect and Grabs and 1st for a defensemen who never played here. Imagine had you traded Coho and Cory with our 1st, you could have fetched a #1 overall pick minimum. Look what we have instead...

Archived