The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Conspiracy Theories

5Fivehole0

Stats don't lie.

Sure we have powerplays, but how many of them have been shortened. I'd like to see a stat on how often that happens to the canucks compared to every other team in the league.

Oh here's a powerplay. Make the best of your 20 seconds.

Yes, yes, yes!

The trend that I've noticed is we seem to get a lot of Garbage PP where the refs are all to eager to even up the clear bias.

NJ game- we get a 20 second powerplay to end the game, phantom call. Sure we could've won the draw and capitalized but it sure was convenient of the Zebras to call it at that time, yet throughout the game then missed numerous. That game was designed to at least get Jersey one point and that was already accomplished.

Just pay attention to any blowout or out of reach games. The Refs start calling in our favour to balance the books as it were.

The Blowouts in the Stanley Cup final, the refs started calling Boston on calls they weren't when the game was close. The announcers just say its to make sure the game doesn't get out of hand but I see it as a balancing of the books.

The few we got in the San Jose series last year usually happened near the end of a guaranteed loss. Yet they get a PP on a chincy call down one with three minutes left in the third and a debateable (not really) call in OT, and that's how our season ended.

One the one hand, I agree that the league and the media often unfairly single out the Canucks for this type of behaviour.

On the other hand, they are partly in a bed of their own making. Yappy Lappy and BItey Burrows have done us no favours in this department, and it didn't help when Kesler got in on the act as well. Simple reality is if you make the officials look bad enough times, they eventually put you in the bad books, and you stop getting the benefit of the doubt.

This isn't just an NHL thing. It's an issue in hockey at any level. I've seen it on teams I play for. Last season I played for a team that took stupid penalties and then argued every call. We eventually lost all credibility with the refs and the penalties started piling up. By the end of the season if someoe fell down within 5 feet of one of our players, we were getting a penalty. It ended up costing us the championship. Sure the refs were kind of jerks, but we were partly to blame as well. It's wasn't a conspiracy. It was human nature.

Same goes for the Canucks. If they want the benefit of the doubt, they need to avoid taking dumb penalties, and show that they are done flopping. I think Tortorella has the right approach. They won't win over everyone, but hopefully they win back enough credibility that enough officials start giving them the benefit of the doubt again, and the playing field becomes more level.

This. Interesting to know that your experience in your hockey (whatever level it is) backs this up. We are doing much better now than in our Cup run years where we had fully 5 of our best players being the worst offenders but, hey, for awhile the refs were buying it and we had a lethal PP so who won't go that route when it's working, right? Problem is we got stigmatized for it and our PP isn't so hot now. I like Tort's approach; wonder if Kes will buy in eventually?

They're already tripping all over each other as it is. There are so many situations where a linesman or ref interfere with a player or puck during a game.

To the conspiracy theorists: why did Van get a pp during OT last night? You know...the one that scored the winning goal?

When I first talked about the 3 ref system I was quite clear that one ref should be removed from the ice and three additional refs added OFF the ICE at the lines

To the conspiracy theorists: why did Van get a pp during OT last night? You know...the one that scored the winning goal?

I already said that we got the extra PP and got given a break by the refs on Daniels hooking...

1 game out of how many?

we still have the lowest average PP per game and St. Louis got gifted 2 really weak calls.

I feel the refs did that because Berglund pushed the ref.

Also

"Penalty to number 9 Zack Kassian, 2 minutes for checking"

• 2 weeks later...

New article from John Garrett!

http://canucks.nhl.c...s.htm?id=688217

My last article discussed how the Vancouver Canucks have been victims of having very few powerplays thus far this season, and now the Canucks are facing a similar form of discrimination. If you have watched the Canucks play this season, you may have an idea about what I might be hinting at.

Of course I am referring to the the unlucky bounces resulting in unfortunate goals against the Canucks this season. As an elite team, the Canucks do not deserve this fate the NHL is certainly imposing on them. Why are they doing this? I believe it's because they resent the Canucks organization, and don't want them to win. The Canucks deserve more respect than this.

There have been numerous occations where a bad bounce has resulted in a bad goal against the Vancouver Canucks this season, in Pittsburgh, etc..., and now tonight in San Jose. This has happened too many times to Vancouver this season to be just "bad luck", something else is up. The NHL is clearly fixing games. Did you watch Joe Thorton's "goal" tonight? Just three more tonight and he will have his c**k out. Did you notice how Joe placed his shot perfectly to get the odd bounce he did, and then before the puck struck the back of the net, he was already celebrating as if he knew the puck was going to go in? The goal was clearly fixed, as Joe knew this was going in. What I believe is that the pucks during these games where these odd goals have gone in are controlled electronically, and by the NHL. This is blatently obvious!

Something needs to be done about this injustice. Will John Tortorella or Mike Gillis speak out and stand up for this organization? Will captain Henrik Sedin speak up? Would this do any good if they did? This team has earned some respect. These players have earned some respect. They deserve it.

MORE FROM GARRETT

24e87r5.jpg John Garrett is a former Canuck and currently the colour commentator for Sportsnet.

More John Garrett articles

The guy

Edler's suspension

Wild weekend

A win is a win is a win

Talking goalies

What do you guys think?

Archived