The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Conspiracy Theories

5Fivehole0

http://canucks.nhl.c...s.htm?id=688217

My friend Tony Gallagher often talks of conspiracy theories and how the Vancouver Canucks are the target of the NHL and its officials.

I played for a long time and never for an original six or major market team. The Hartford Whalers were never the hottest team for sweater collectors and the Quebec Nordiques were big in Quebec, but a distant second to the Montreal Canadiens in popularity even in La Belle Province.

My time with the Canucks was post the 1982 Cup run and a struggle to maintain the momentum of that run. We were that west coast team that was one year lucky and made it on Hockey Night in Canada maybe three or four times a year and only against the Leafs or Canadiens. I often felt we got the short end of the stick especially on the road, but I never thought it was a plan to make sure we did not succeed. It was an easy choice to favor the home team when they were headed for the playoffs and we were not.

The Canucks are not a bad team and have not been in the bottom half of the league for a long time. They have won their division five straight years and won the Presidents’ Trophy in two of the last three years. Daniel Sedin won the Art Ross trophy in 2011, Henrik won it in 2010 and the same year Henrik won the Hart trophy as the league's Most Valuable Player. The team deserves some respect and the star players on the Canucks have earned some respect. Just because you are a quiet star and go about your business on a daily basis to the best of your extra-ordinary ability does not mean you should not get the special treatment you deserve.

Last season the Canucks had 51 power play chances in their first 10 games. They had 33 in their last 10 and then were penalized twice as much as the San Jose Sharks in their first round playoff loss. This season they had 12 power plays in the first two games and 17 in the last nine. They have outshot their opponents in seven of those nine and the other teams have had 11 more man advantages.

The experts say if you are being outplayed you will take more penalties, but this has not been the case. When is the last time Sydney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin has had three minor penalties in the same game? Henrik Sedin had three in Long Island Tuesday night. Will he say anything? Will the team complain? Would it do any good?

This team has earned some respect. These players have earned some respect.

MORE FROM GARRETT

garrett_sm.jpgJohn Garrett is a former Canuck and currently the colour commentator for Sportsnet.

More John Garrett articles

The guy

Edler's suspension

Wild weekend

A win is a win is a win

Talking goalies

Discuss!

Thank you, Cheech.

What's sad is that our team is labelled a diving team while we've all seen the 'hero' teams out east and in SoCal flop around like fish. This false perception should cease.

And when Henrik says anything, we're a whining team.

At the same time, i don't want this team to rely on the powerplay anymore. Doesn't work. Seen it with the wce powerplay pushoff and the Sedin era. It ultimately fails when you leave it up to the refs.

Wanna really teach the officials a lesson? Score tons of shorthanded goals.

I'm glad Cheech is saying it because, as he says, it's not up to the players to get into it. Last year we spent a lot of time sitting back so I can see the lack of penalties... but this year we're pushing the play more often than not with no success.

I'm not going to call it a "conspiracy" but those numbers need to even out.

Thank you, Cheech.

What's sad is that our team is labelled a diving team while we've all seen the 'hero' teams out east and in SoCal flop around like fish. This false perception should cease.

And when Henrik says anything, we're a whining team.

At the same time, i don't want this team to rely on the powerplay anymore. Doesn't work. Seen it with the wce powerplay pushoff and the Sedin era. It ultimately fails when you leave it up to the refs.

Wanna really teach the officials a lesson? Score tons of shorthanded goals.

Richardson seems to agree with you there. And I agree that we shouldn't depend on power plays because then we would basically be relying on the refs and that isn't the greatest idea.

Someone should perform a statistical test to see if the difference in the number of PP that the Canucks received compared to the rest of the league is statistically significant.

As of now, they are last in PP opportunities per game with 29 in 11 games played, or 2.636 per game.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAAll&sort=advantages&viewName=powerPlay

Using the stats at http://www.nhl.com/i...ame=penaltyKill

You can see that Vancouver has been consistently one of the most penalized teams in the league for many years running

Amazingly......and coincidentally......" " it started when we got Lu,

Edit: Scratch that, still pretty penalized even early 2000's, always in the bottom 10

Edit 2; We are consistently in the bottom 10 of times short handed... as in we are short handed a lot.

I have to disagree with Cheech and many others on here. Sure, calls are missed sometimes like they are in every game throughout the NHL. However, when our guys are not getting "enough" calls it is simply because they are not working hard enough to get those calls.

We have a reputation for a reason in this league. Again last night the Sedins showed how horrible they are at drawing penalties. When the refs see there feet give out they are not going to call it.

Do calls get missed? They sure do. Do they only get missed against us? Hellz no.

Our power play disparity is simply because we don't work hard enough for them. Put your head down and play, keep your feet moving, worry about putting the puck in the net and the calls will follow because the refs will see that that is what you are focusing on.

My two cents.

Edit: Fans complain when even up calls are made, yet when it suddenly has to do with them then it's a problem.

I have to disagree with Cheech and many others on here. Sure, calls are missed sometimes like they are in every game throughout the NHL. However, when our guys are not getting "enough" calls it is simply because they are not working hard enough to get those calls.

We have a reputation for a reason in this league. Again last night the Sedins showed how horrible they are at drawing penalties. When the refs see there feet give out they are not going to call it.

Do calls get missed? They sure do. Do they only get missed against us? Hellz no.

Our power play disparity is simply because we don't work hard enough for them. Put your head down and play, keep your feet moving, worry about putting the puck in the net and the calls will follow because the refs will see that that is what you are focusing on.

My two cents.

Edit: Fans complain when even up calls are made, yet when it suddenly has to do with them then it's a problem.

My issue with that statement,

Other teams get the calls when they embellish, even when it's blatantly obvious...

Other things such as Burrows getting checked into the goalie and gets a goal tender interference penalty...

Refs should stop deciding games, simple as that.

Edit:

Last year in the play-offs... Kesler gets cross checked from behind, goes face first into the boards...no call. Lappy barely touches a player and he goes down... Penalty...

Couture throws the puck out of the zone... no call

Sedin uses shaft of stick to win face-off... Penalty

Roy of all people............. ROY touches wingles... Wingles falls to the ice with a head "injury" Is fine and plays.. Roy gets a major.

Stop defending the refs

My two cents.

I think part of the argument is that the Canucks are working hard; possessing, out shooting and out chancing the opposition when their rate of power plays per game over a the same span of games is by far the lowest in the league.

Sure, there is a discrepancy in the amount of penalties against/for, but I still think we lack the ability to draw penalties. I've seen many calls that go against us that shouldn't be called, agreed, but I have not seen too many missed calls against other teams when they play the Canucks. Sure, they miss some, and some have their reasoning, but all in all it's not too bad.

The problem with officiating is when the penalty is against us, not when we don't get calls.

Archived