The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nichushkin scores first NHL goal

studlymuf67

I'm happy with the pick. To an extent Nichushkin actually ranked higher, but teams found it risky to invest in such a high pick on a player that might jet back to the KHL in a few years. It's not a stereo type but an actual fact among Russian players. I think Gillis didn't want to really risk a 9th pick, that might jet back to the KHL one day, when things are not going his way. I think Bo Horvat is going to be a good player no matter, the same with Nichushkin.

I think, Mike Gillis did consider picking him, but in the end, I think we drafted a player, that every team is gonna wish they had a guy like that on their team.

Mike Gillis and the management took everything into consideration, and that Bo Horvat is the better pick. I think it's more or less, who do you rather have on your team? Patric Bergeron or Ilya Kovalchuk? It's one of those types of comparisons right now.

Nichuskin vs Horvat. It's not even people comparing the two players. It's comparing a Russian to a Canadian player.

Yes there is a chance he 'bolts' to Russia. Yes, some Russians have had character issues.

But everyone is using those 'stereotypes' and throwing it upon Nichuskin to justify Canucks not picking him.

I've seen statements such as "poor defensive player" "playing top minutes with top line-mates" "making no impact" "not winning the calder"

He's playing with Horcoff/Cole and has been working on his defensive game. He's been good in his own end, and hasn't had much freedom in the O-zone. Especially playing with those guys, points aren't going to be easy, especially for a 18 year old. 47.5% offensive zone starts! 2nd lowest on the team. Offensive zone finishes: 52.5%.

Not many 18 year olds come to the NHL and tear it up... He's improving game after game, and will be a great player in no time. Dallas fans are loving this pick, and I like the pick for them too. Benn/Seguin/Chiasson/Nichuskin/Eakin and potentially Ritchie/Faksa is a bright foward crops going into their rebuild.

You were the guy that was pointing out about how good Nichushkin was and that Gillis had made a mistake with picking Horvat.

Then you make an excuse like this one.

Most 18 year olds also don't get to jump to the NHL and have the organization THINK they are ready for the big leagues. Most are sent down to the junior clubs to round out into form.

NIchushkin is at risk of being ruined of development.

You people bashing this kid now are probly the same ones who were bashing Kopitar 7 years ago in his rookie season.

What is it with this forum? We won't know who the right pick is for another 5-10 years. Fair enough. But that was a sick goal. And there were a lot of people on this very board who wanted to pick him way before they knew we would have the chance to. Reading some of the awful threads on this forum I'm amazed at how people are so keen to flame the OP for bringing up a legitamite debate.

Nichuskin is a highly touted prospect with character concerns. One who has the potential to be a prolific scorer in this league. Even if the cliche "who would you rather have, the next Patrice Bergeron or next Ilya Kovalchuk?" comparison ends up to be accurate and relevant... where this team is right now...I think I'd go with Kovalchuk.

We need secondary scoring and we need size. This kid fits the bill and with our window to win closing very soon I think he woulda been the better pick.

Some posters here seem to twist their opinions on how they see fit. One day its "playing with grown men is a lot harder than playing with little boys" the next its "way more kids from the OHL make the NHL than the KHL"

Heres a thought: Theres way more Canadians on average in the NHL than Russians. Doesn't mean all Canadians turn out better than all Russians. In terms of organizational needs I'd put Nichushkin way ahead of another two way center.

I was so excited when that Schneider trade happened, i was holy F*** we gonna draft nichushkin!!! But yanno, we took the 6ft overrated 2way center just because of a good playoffs. He wasn't that clutch the year before in playoffs... Shinkaruk, when he was 10 months younger than Horvat in his first whl playoffs a year before Horvat was even in ohl, he tripled the number of points, in less games. Your also bipolar hypocrites some of you... Ya lets make a big splash at the draft! Tons of you said nichushkin was the best man this that, and now your like "WEEEO we take the safe pick, i love GMMG, great pick, hes a Russian he will leave soon anyway...

Look buddy, you can make all the horrible trade proposals you want but when it comes to saying Horvat wasn't clutch in the playoffs last year, you better shut your damn mouth.

Watch this video and say he wasn't clutch.

Archived