The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nichushkin scores first NHL goal

studlymuf67

Oh, I understand this.

But I am also readily admitting that I thought Nichushkin would be an NHL ready player. He isn't lighting the NHL on fire, which is fine, but what role is he playing now?

Is he getting a lot of minutes which would help his development?

Or... is he going to end up with low minutes with poor stats at the end of the year?

Rushing players into the NHL, more often than not, ends poorly for the player.

I whole heartedly agree. In my eyes, most prospects should spend as much time on their junior teams and in the AHL as they can.

Detroit is a team I admire in that regard; So many young guns coming up at age 23-25 and looking like guys that can contribute right away.

I whole heartedly agree. In my eyes, most prospects should spend as much time on their junior teams and in the AHL as they can.

Detroit is a team I admire in that regard; So many young guns coming up at age 23-25 and looking like guys that can contribute right away.

They know how to develop players.

Teams like Dallas, Columbus are/were desperate teams that are rolling the dice on players in an effort to secure an attendance.

If Nichushkin actually was like Alexander Ovechkin-lite, it would be great.

As of this point, he's only playing ~14-15 minutes a game - and he's putting up pretty bad stats. Not really an ideal situation for development.

BOTH PLAYERS WILL BE GREAT! LEAVE IT AT THAT

Let's make it clear that most players are great compared to you. That's not saying very much... so there's no need to interrupt a valid discussion.

That being said, I loved your play yesterday. I thought that you played really well and you didn't play like a plug. I would love to see more of it.

Becuase playing in the OHL, is great development for Horvat.

There's no other option.

He's not age-eligible for the AHL, even though we both agree that playing in a men's league is much preferable.

But, Horvat is doing really well for his team right now - and he's playing there as a leader - this is much needed experience for a player of his calibre. He gets placed in situations where he could win, which will in turn develop confidence.

They know how to develop players.

Teams like Dallas, Columbus are/were desperate teams that are rolling the dice on players in an effort to secure an attendance.

If Nichushkin actually was like Alexander Ovechkin-lite, it would be great.

As of this point, he's only playing ~14-15 minutes a game - and he's putting up pretty bad stats. Not really an ideal situation for development.

Absolutely, he'd be better off in the AHL or on his junior team, the NHL team isn't ready for a push yet - no need to rush him, its going to take awhile for Dallas to "Find its Identity" with a new coach, and SO many new pieces.

Give Columbus some credit - they're headed in the right direction, I've been impressed with what they've done over the last few years, they've managed to pull away from and trade alot of the rushed talent they did have, and have replaced them with better developed pieces.

There's no other option.

He's not age-eligible for the AHL, even though we both agree that playing in a men's league is much preferable.

But, Horvat is doing really well for his team right now - and he's playing there as a leader - this is much needed experience for a player of his calibre. He gets placed in situations where he could win, which will in turn develop confidence.

Honestly, it's a good experience or him to know what it feels like to be "the guy" I think that extra time dominating at junior gives kids an idea of what it must be like to be a top guy at a top level, I could see it as a motivator more than anything, and with the NHL experience he knows where he needs to work on his game to improve to get to where he needs to be; better to be a star build confidence and Leadership qualities, IMO.

According to your logic, Zack kassian is not NHL ready.

Nichushkin has the same amount of points as him, and is 5 years younger.

I bet you did not watch a single game of Nichushkin.

Maybe I'm using sarcasm rather than logic. LOL.

Go cry you pansy, the point I'm trying to make is that you should just stop whining. I'll bet if we picked Paul Kariya or Chris Pronger in the 1993 draft over Alexandre Daigle you'd say we missed out on a franchise player.

You look ridiculous, stop. Was this really worth yet another post with no substance?

Are you stupid? He is 18 years older, we didn't expect him to score 20 in 13 games.

And at least he is playing in the NHL, and Nichishkun is a offensive player and will dominate the league, but later on.

Horvat is not a offensive player, he is a defensive player.

Just cause Horvat excels defensively doesn't mean he's not an offensive player.

According to your logic, Zack kassian is not NHL ready.

Nichushkin has the same amount of points as him, and is 5 years younger.

I bet you did not watch a single game of Nichushkin.

Nichuhskin's played more games, and I would guess has better linemates.

I was so excited when that Schneider trade happened, i was holy F*** we gonna draft nichushkin!!! But yanno, we took the 6ft overrated 2way center just because of a good playoffs. He wasn't that clutch the year before in playoffs... Shinkaruk, when he was 10 months younger than Horvat in his first whl playoffs a year before Horvat was even in ohl, he tripled the number of points, in less games. Your also bipolar hypocrites some of you... Ya lets make a big splash at the draft! Tons of you said nichushkin was the best man this that, and now your like "WEEEO we take the safe pick, i love GMMG, great pick, hes a Russian he will leave soon anyway...

I was so excited when that Schneider trade happened, i was holy F*** we gonna draft nichushkin!!! But yanno, we took the 6ft overrated 2way center just because of a good playoffs. He wasn't that clutch the year before in playoffs... Shinkaruk, when he was 10 months younger than Horvat in his first whl playoffs a year before Horvat was even in ohl, he tripled the number of points, in less games. Your also bipolar hypocrites some of you... Ya lets make a big splash at the draft! Tons of you said nichushkin was the best man this that, and now your like "WEEEO we take the safe pick, i love GMMG, great pick, hes a Russian he will leave soon anyway...

:picard: First off, Horvat is Canadian, is defensively sound and is an all-around great player. Second, Gillis doesn't like drafting Russians (never has). Third, Horvat is not overrated like Nichushkin is and there is absolutely 0 risk of him bolting to Russia if he doesn't like it here. Finally, you just don't pass up on a two-way player like Horvat with Patrice Bergeron potential, who scored 16 goals and won the 99 trophy as the MVP of the OHL playoffs.

Absolutely, he'd be better off in the AHL or on his junior team, the NHL team isn't ready for a push yet - no need to rush him, its going to take awhile for Dallas to "Find its Identity" with a new coach, and SO many new pieces.

Give Columbus some credit - they're headed in the right direction, I've been impressed with what they've done over the last few years, they've managed to pull away from and trade alot of the rushed talent they did have, and have replaced them with better developed pieces.

Honestly, it's a good experience or him to know what it feels like to be "the guy" I think that extra time dominating at junior gives kids an idea of what it must be like to be a top guy at a top level, I could see it as a motivator more than anything, and with the NHL experience he knows where he needs to work on his game to improve to get to where he needs to be; better to be a star build confidence and Leadership qualities, IMO.

Columbus is doing much better now. I was actually hoping they would make the playoffs, but they were SO close. Bobrovsky carried that team.

Ever since Davidson took over, the team has improved.

Still, they wasted so many first round picks and they still couldn't get it right. It didn't help that they had one of the worst GMs ever, though he did make one good trade by trading Nash. But at the time, that trade was still seen as a poor deal - and the damage had already been done.

Columbus better not mess up Ryan Johansen...

I don't understand something here... you're bashing the player that you named yourself after?

It just seems that you're just a fairweather fan that just goes after the 'bigger' name players that are mentioned by the sheepies.

I'm one of those people that thought that Nichushkin was NHL ready, as I stated above, but now, I don't think so anymore.

3 points in 13 points. BIG IMPACT.

WHOOP-DEE-DOO

Not everyone is ready for the NHL on their first try and that's okay with me.

He needs development and the NHL is not the place for him (much like 98 percent of all other NHLers).

Just because he lighted it up in the preseason doesn't mean he should have stayed, in hindsight.

Look at this - one good game out of the other 'average' games and you are so excited about him. He's probably not going to be consistent and he'll disappear on long stretches.

GREAT development.

Archived