The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

Just now, Chris12345 said:

As far as a collection goes.....

Part of a collection in my mind is the expense. You need high end stuff but you need to weight the collection appropriately.

So for every 1 Pappy you have 100 Turkèys. That is why it's special.

Is an expensive bottle better? Absolutely. Without a doubt. It's just not a value bottle. Is a $150 bottle better than a $50? Yes! Is it 3 x better? No! So the collection should be 3 to 1.

As of now, my collection is sitting at 93 total bottles.  Bourbons, Whiskeys, rums, Tequilas, Gins and Vodkas.  My average price per bottle is around $95-$110 but my favourites are the lower end of $60 or less.

My sipping bottles are all lower end but they're also my faves.  I am keeping my fancier stuff for fun events, milestones etc.  The Cavehill Rabbit for my friends birthday, my only Thomas Moore/E. Lake or McKenzie and one bottle of Pappys for like ym kdis graduations or weddings etc.  

But in between I have my 4 roses, buffalo trace etc because they're so tasty and guilt free sipping.

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

What do you like better bourbon or scotch?

I love bourbon and straight rye whiskeys.

Bourbons are for sipping neat. That's how I like it.

My issue with Scotches and essentially irish whiskey's are that I drank so much low grade J&B when I was younger (you remember, drinking to get drunk as fast as possible)  that almost all scotch tastes exactly the same now.  I literally burned my taste buds off on crappy scotch as a teen and just can't find the enjoyment anymore :( 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As of now, my collection is sitting at 93 total bottles.  Bourbons, Whiskeys, rums, Tequilas, Gins and Vodkas.  My average price per bottle is around $95-$110 but my favourites are the lower end of $60 or less.

My sipping bottles are all lower end but they're also my faves.  I am keeping my fancier stuff for fun events, milestones etc.  The Cavehill Rabbit for my friends birthday, my only Thomas Moore/E. Lake or McKenzie and one bottle of Pappys for like ym kdis graduations or weddings etc.  

But in between I have my 4 roses, buffalo trace etc because they're so tasty and guilt free sipping.

93 unopened bottles? Haha I thought mine was good.

Edited by Chris12345

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

93 unopened bottles? Haha I thought mine was good.

It's actually insanely overstocked yes.  

I've been told I am not allowed to spread it out and show it off.....So it sits in wine boxes now.

Scary thing is, I keep collecting ;) I'll buy 2-3 bottles a week of new stuff and one to sip on.  I usually make a bottle last 2 weeks or so; 2 fingers a night only, but it's definitely out of control.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's actually insanely overstocked yes.  

I've been told I am not allowed to spread it out and show it off.....So it sits in wine boxes now.

Scary thing is, I keep collecting ;) I'll buy 2-3 bottles a week of new stuff and one to sip on.  I usually make a bottle last 2 weeks or so; 2 fingers a night only, but it's definitely out of control.

That's awesome I love collecting but usually stick to 10 bottles of the same stuff.

I have my quick drinkers and slower ones.

As far as bourbons go I have Bulliet 10 year, Four Roses, and Russell's 10 year.

Edited by Chris12345

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

That's awesome I love collecting but usually stick to 10 bottles of the same stuff.

I have my quick drinkers and slower ones.

As far as bourbons go I have Bulliet 10 year, Four Roses, and Russell's 10 year.

I do like me some russels.  I have tried Bulleit's 10 year but found it to be a bit sharp.  Could just be the bottle I was sipping out of at the pub though, so I do have an unopened one here to try.

Dollar for dollar, the Jim Beam's Black is actually one of the best sippers I have ever had.

Just now, Warhippy said:

I do like me some russels.  I have tried Bulleit's 10 year but found it to be a bit sharp.  Could just be the bottle I was sipping out of at the pub though, so I do have an unopened one here to try.

Dollar for dollar, the Jim Beam's Black is actually one of the best sippers I have ever had.

I have a dirty secret with Turkey 101.

I find bourbon a bit boring. It's good and is drinkable year round but is very one dimensional.

For whatever reason I like Bulliet. It is rough maybe because of the rye but I do enjoy the 10 year. I like the Bulliet bottle it is so frontier haha.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I have a dirty secret with Turkey 101.

I find bourbon a bit boring. It's good and is drinkable year round but is very one dimensional.

For whatever reason I like Bulliet. It is rough maybe because of the rye but I do enjoy the 10 year. I like the Bulliet bottle it is so frontier haha.

I dunno.  I find that a good bourbon tasting can be an adventure all its own