The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Oilers open to dealing their 2014 1st round pick

Yeah...umm this would be a terrible idea. That team is in freefalling mode. I get what Mac-T is trying to say with this though. He wants to trade for an older franchise D. A good veteran type. Sorry Mac, you can't just get Chris Pronger back. If the Leafs end up freefalling, then maybe talk to them about Phaneuf? That's about as good as they are gonna get for their 1st rounder. It's not like this draft is that deep. But then you look at it and see Aaron Ekblad at the end of the tunnel and Darnell Nurse already drafted. Help is on the way and it will help more than a $7 mil Phaneuf.

Trade Yak and get it over with. He just doesn't fit there. I watched the game earlier this week when they played Dallas. It was terrible. No structure and can not score goals to save their lives. Even with all their young "superstars." If we dangled Tanev, there may be a base to pull Yak away from Edmonton. People kind of forget that Mac-T used to coach our prospects. How many wanna bet that Tanev was his favourite? Tanev, Gaunce, 1st rounder. With how poorly Yak is playing and working out, I bet that gets it done.

No one can tell me that this defensive core won't be great for Edmonton for years. They need to trade Yak. Never even should have drafted him in the first place.

Ekblad-Tanev

Nurse-J.Schultz

Ference-N. Schultz

I think you missed the last three games with Yak he is finally finding his stride. Has 5 points last 5 games and 4 points in 3 games since dallas game.

not sure about that

edler is an all star 2 way d man, would play top pairing for edm and at 5 mill. He is in his prime

What has Yakupov done in this league?

Scored over 20 goals in less than his first full seasons worth of games, something no current Canuck was ever able to do. Edler is hardly a 2 way all star, he can put up some points sure, but dudes a pylon more often than not. We would improve a lot more from that deal than Edmonton would. Also gain cap space for another move.

I bet if Yak was here, he would lead our team in goals by seasons end.

finally someone at the oilers is making sense, i thought they should've traded their Yakupov pick away when they had it there for a bunch of defensive prospects / veterans,

maybe buffalo is looking to get rid of Myers ? Maybe Myers + for Edmontons First ?

Or maybe they should have just drafted Ryan Murray instead of another soft forward.

Edmonton is going to wind up far out of the playoffs. This will translate to a top 7 pick, most likely top 5. They are right, they don't need another 18yo when all they have is kids (who are used to losing) to train him.

Yakupov is 2 years in but is already reflecting bad habits not just from being on a losing team, but being a Russian on a losing team. Why not trade him plus 1st for a top 2 D, and 2 top 6 F's. Makes a lot more sense than just trading the pick and expecting 1 guy to make your entire team over.

not sure about that

edler is an all star 2 way d man, would play top pairing for edm and at 5 mill. He is in his prime

What has Yakupov done in this league?

Edler WAS an all-star, but isn't right now.Whereas Yak was a consensus first overall pick for a reason.

I wouldn't be like Yakupov coming here just because of his reported attitude and unwillingness to change his game for the team. I also doubt Edmonton would move their 1st pick until the deadline. Teams that want this pick will want it for a specific player in the top 5 and wouldn't risk it becoming a 6 - 15 spot afterwards. Too much uncertainty right now.

Archived