Tuomo Ruutu

2015 Conditional 3rd round pick*

* Play in at least 75% of games this season and next

Stats last three seasons:

RUUTU

105 games played, 23 goals, 23 assists, -18, .44 PPG, $4.75 Cap Hit

BOOTH

87 games played, 18 goals, 18 assists, +1, .41 PPG, $4.25 Cap Hit

Both players make are pretty close to identical in terms of games missed, production, and salary. Ruutu has one more year on his contract, which decreases his value a bit more as well as a NTC.

Since either player could get potentially stay healthy and become productive again the conditional picks act as insurance. The extra salary, 6th round pick, and higher conditional pick in my eyes even out the value as Ruutu is still a more complete player.

If Ruutu waived his NTC would you make this deal? If not for the hate train I would take my chances with Booth but since the fan base and coach seem to despise him I doubt he will turn it around.

PROS VANCOUVER

- Ruutu is a more complete, versatile player

- Booth is very unpopular in the public eye

CONS VANCOUVER

- Bigger contract, more long term risk

- Would be giving up a little extra

PROS CAROLINA

- One less year on Booth's contract

- Insurance 2nd round pick in case Ruutu does turn it around

CONS CAROLINA

- They are getting the crappier player

I'd do that. Although Ruutu may not be producing as much as he did before he does play a physical agitating game. In 16 games this season he already has 46 hits. Ruutu would be a very valuable player in the playoffs.

That being said, aren't we planning to buy Booth out in the offseason to make some more room for a top 6 forward? Getting Ruutu would eat up even more cap!

Good suggestion, but I doubt Gillis would want to give up a possible higher draft pick as well as take on more cap just for a guy that will be guaranteed to play more games, now if we used him as a trade flip, perhaps, but I don't see that happening either. We're trying to rid of Booth and his contract, not take on a larger one.

If Booth was treated like a top 6 forward coming back from injury (16-17 minutes per night, regular power play time, decent line mates) versus being stuck in the bottom 6 I think there is a chance he could rebound and finish with 20+ goals. And as mentioned he is at least a +3 so he hasn't been a liability on the third line.

Right now he is set-up for failure and between the fans and coaches I doubt he going to bounce back. That is why I would make this trade. If he was given good minutes and a chance to regain form I would keep him.

Both are getting similar minutes, with Ruutu getting two more minutes of powerplay.

• 2 months later...

Revised*

To Vancouver

Tlusty

Ruutu

To Carolina

Booth

Weise

The Canucks could use a third line centre and move Richardson down to the fourth. Tlusty has struggled immensely this year and has similar numbers to Booth and Weise. Speaking of Weise, his point totals are decent but I don't think he is too popular with Torts, he could have some trade value right now.

We get an extra year of crap contract but I don't see Booth turning his game around. Ruutu has a chance. If he is a good fit I could see him being a decent 2nd line centre for us until Horvat is ready.

his contract is higher, if it expired this year i would. i would want to loose a bad contract cap hit if we cant just buy him out. Or hey if you aing playing booth put him on WAIVERS!! are they worried he would get claimed? you dont play him so whats the worry...

his contract is higher, if it expired this year i would. i would want to loose a bad contract cap hit if we cant just buy him out. Or hey if you aing playing booth put him on WAIVERS!! are they worried he would get claimed? you dont play him so whats the worry...

No he won't get claimed, but he is still a cap hit and we would have to pay him. Booth isn't a terrible player, he just isn't worth his contract.

6th on the team G/60, 7th +/-, 6th Fenwick, 6th Corsi, 4th IGP (Individual goals percentage), 3rd IPP (Individual points percentage), PEN Taken /60 20th, PEN drawn /60 tied 2nd

So he more or less carries the play, contributes to 75% of the points his line scores, and draws penalties at a much higher clip then he takes them. Worth keeping on the team? Yes. Worth 4+ million? No.

If he was treated like an elite second line player on a long leash Booth would probably be on pace for 40 or 50 points. The fact he is on such a short leash means he has to outplay the guys above him on the top 6 to get better opportunities.

Take Drew Stafford for example. He was treated like a top 6 player even though he had only 13 points in 42 games. Now all of a sudden he gets 5 points in his last 4. I think Booth can turn it around but he would be better off on a bottom feeder that would have patience with him.

Archived