The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Post to stop door-to-door delivery, postage rates to raise as well.

Mikey2Dope

Well, I'll never vote CPC, but I guess I jumped the gun a little early on this one, as not soon after posting I watched an interview with Trudeau criticizing the government on this issue as well. Although, to be fair, he was more pointing out the lack of debate on the issue and how the CPC has gone about the change, which I tend to agree with. However, even with a healthy debate on the issue, I can't go about ignoring the loss of $109 million in the last quarter alone. Whether a different solution can be more favourable is yet to be seen, but a swift cutting of losses I simply have to support in the mean time.

Man, I hate political pandering.

I am not a fan of Trudeau but he did not outright reject the proposal like the NDP, who took a kneejerk reaction opposing it.

Trudeau said he he was concerned about the lack of debate/consultation, not that it was a bad idea.

1canada_post-3.jpg

I imagine they will be on the majority of street corners, or at the heads of dead end streets.

Dang, just seems so unsafe. A crook could just go to the 'expensive' area of town with a screwdriver and steal everyones mail. I always hear of these things getting vandalized.

Dang, just seems so unsafe. A crook could just go to the 'expensive' area of town with a screwdriver and steal everyones mail. I always hear of these things getting vandalized.

No safer than one of these things:

Mailbox.jpg

In fact, this one's easier: walk up, open the box, take stuff, leave.

Sorry, but mail theft isn't a good enough excuse to implement a system that will save 400M/year.

Privatise Canada post.

Declare bankruptcy and sell off the parts.

Use that money to cover what they can of the 6 billion dollars in pension shortfall.

If they say it was negotiated in good faith remind them that promising money they didn't have is not good faith.

Let the people that want to send junk mail and bills to my house figure out how they want to do it instead of subsidising them.

If you don't like that get used to it - it's going to be a recurring theme in the future whether you like it or not. You can't argue with math and the math regarding our future is grim to say the least.

The key to the big box is left inside your small mailbox, take the key, open the bigger compartment and get your parcel out. Then close the big box and place the big key in the out going mail slot, the mail lady/guy will get it from there.

The key to the big box is left inside your small mailbox, take the key, open the bigger compartment and get your parcel out. Then close the big box and place the big key in the out going mail slot, the mail lady/guy will get it from there.

What if you keep the key.....?

What happens if someone else in the community receives a parcel? Since all the parcels are in the big compartment, can your neighbour take your parcel?

I reiterate; Canada Post made huge profits, 16 years straight. It wasn't until they instituted "the modern Post" in 2011/2012 that all those profits turned south. Why don't they own up to the fact that they made a huge mistake?! Or was the demise of the mail service as we know it, what they wanted all along?

It seems like another government scheme to run it into the ground so its not profitable , so a private company can purchase it for next to nothing and pay workers minimum wage and they will make mega profits which they well contribute to the CPC coffers...

I reiterate; Canada Post made huge profits, 16 years straight. It wasn't until they instituted "the modern Post" in 2011/2012 that all those profits turned south. Why don't they own up to the fact that they made a huge mistake?! Or was the demise of the mail service as we know it, what they wanted all along?

It seems like another government scheme to run it into the ground so its not profitable , so a private company can purchase it for next to nothing and pay workers minimum wage and they will make mega profits which they well contribute to the CPC coffers...

So, a year or so after Moya Greene leaves Canada Post to run the Royal Mail everything goes tits up? Interesting.

So, a year or so after Moya Greene leaves Canada Post to run the Royal Mail everything goes tits up? Interesting.

It didn't go tits up, they spent billions building sorting factories so they could eliminate the local office sorters. Essentially they spent a bunch of money to downsize so they could increase their record profits and of course, a nice ancillary effect is putting that large spending on the books kills the profit margin and allows them to claim poverty and convince people to eliminate yet more middle class jobs.

It didn't go tits up, they spent billions building sorting factories so they could eliminate the local office sorters. Essentially they spent a bunch of money to downsize so they could increase their record profits and of course, a nice ancillary effect is putting that large spending on the books kills the profit margin and allows them to claim poverty and convince people to eliminate yet more middle class jobs.

Quite plausible and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised but do you have an numbers/data, evidence etc to support it?

you don't notice multiple big compartments on the boxes?

img_14488.jpg

Most parcels won't fit in those. Plus many parcels are signature required.....then you get people who don't check their mail but once a week so the parcel compartment is occupied for extended periods of time. With the huge increase in parcels recently, those compartments aren't viable options. They are either going to card your parcel immediatly and send it to your local post office or they will keep door to door parcel service(which I believe they'll do....for now).

Most parcels won't fit in those. Plus many parcels are signature required.....then you get people who don't check their mail but once a week so the parcel compartment is occupied for extended periods of time. With the huge increase in parcels recently, those compartments aren't viable options. They are either going to card your parcel immediatly and send it to your local post office or they will keep door to door parcel service(which I believe they'll do....for now).

the prob with the fact that they only deliver the expensive sig req stuff to your home is you wont know when they will arrive unlike now when you pretty know when the mail comes.

Accounting doesn't work that way. Capital expenditures are spread over the useful life of the equipment/facility, and thus the yearly impact is much smaller. E.g. a billion dollar plant has maybe 20 years of useful life, the expenditure will be 50 million per year. In fact, the whole rational for automated facility is that it is cheaper than manual labour, and thus it should be a net cost cutting measure.

If you look at the cost for Canada post itself, the labour cost far dominates: in 2012, it spent $4 billion on labour and benefits. The cost of depreciation on capital assets is a paltry $248 million.

Edit: even if you don't account for the fact that capital expenditures are spread over many years, the absolute capital expenditure went from $412 million to $575 million a year between 2009 to 2012.

It is true that they have been profitable for a while now, but if you look at older annual reports you'll see that the cost has been rising faster than the revenue for a while now, so it is just a matter of time before they run into trouble.

Edit: Also their profit is anything but huge. Since 2006, in most years where they've ran a profit, the margin is a mere 2%.

Archived