The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2014

The Bookie

RJD2 had some missteps since that debut but his most recent, More Is Than Isn't from last year, was really great. For awhile he was dipping into live music / indie rock territory but that album was the first where he found a perfect balance between that and the sample/beat based stuff.

edit for silly anecdote:

I'll never forgive myself for falling asleep the one time I saw RJD2 live. I was at a festival in the states not long after Deadringer came out and he did a set in the arcade tent at 2am. All the sun from the day got to me and I literally passed out on a pinball machine

Kid Koala is my fav for a live dj. Find his albums pretty boring, but I've seen him live like 6 or 8 times and he's always on.

anyway, what I came back to post - I must've missed Shabazz Palaces releasing their second album in July. Really excited to check this out. Killer oddball hip hop from Seattle.

check out this music video

Downloaded a ton today, but haven't had much chance to go through it:

- Thom Yorke

- Interpol

- FKA Twigs

- Ty Sgall

- Aphex Twin

- Foxygen

- Caribou

- DFA 1979

- Dum Dum Girls

- Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance singer, gone solo)

- Perfume Genius

- Prince (both new albums)

Although I'm not a MCR fan, I found this pretty good right off the bat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYBefdIB3IQ

A few opinions based on first listens:

Death From Above 1979 - Good...but good in the same way Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Show Your Bones and The Horrors' Primary Colours were. Solid and enjoyable, but missing the reckless abandon that made their debuts so appealing to me.

Dum Dum Girls - Decent. Better than their 2nd album, but not as good as their debut. And nowhere near their fantastic End of Daze EP.

Interpol - Quite good. Listened to it from beginning to end right away, and enjoyed it throughout. That said, no particular song stood out too much.

Thom Yorke - ...Um, sorry GJ, but my first impression is a big thumbs down.

FKA Twigs - Interesting "Lorde meets James Blake" sound on the first few tracks. Not totally my thing, but interested enough to listen further.

A few opinions based on first listens:

Death From Above 1979 - Good...but good in the same way Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Show Your Bones and The Horrors' Primary Colours were. Solid and enjoyable, but missing the reckless abandon that made their debuts so appealing to me.

Dum Dum Girls - Decent. Better than their 2nd album, but not as good as their debut. And nowhere near their fantastic End of Daze EP.

Interpol - Quite good. Listened to it from beginning to end right away, and enjoyed it throughout. That said, no particular song stood out too much.

Thom Yorke - ...Um, sorry GJ, but my first impression is a big thumbs down.

FKA Twigs - Interesting "Lorde meets James Blake" sound on the first few tracks. Not totally my thing, but interested enough to listen further.

hey! i don't care if someone doesn't like that Yorke album. i definitely agree with a lot of criticism that's been floating around. i like it though.

i also agree with Interpol, except one song does stick out to me, and I listen to it a lot: "same town, new story" -- but I think it's just that riff that I love so much.

stick with the dum dum girls album, it was a huge grower for me

i can't stand that DFA album at all, don't like their style

So, in other words, it's a typical Interpol album?

Hahah - I guess you could say that.

I've always had trouble sitting through a whole Interpol album. There'd be some cool tracks, but I'd just lose interest after 4-5 songs. I found this one consistently strong from beginning to end.

I've never been a fan of Caribou - not a style of music that I enjoy much. However, I really like a lot of what I heard on the new one.

such a simple-sounding song, but utterly amazing IMO. will def be in my top 5 of the year, i'd think

For some reason I thought Ice Age was a speed punk/metal band. I remember finding it weird when you mentioned them before. Not sure who I was thinking of ... maybe White Lung.

Recommend a good Ice Age song? Tried typing that into youtube and it just gave me a bunch of stuff from the kids movie with the same name.

For some reason I thought Ice Age was a speed punk/metal band. I remember finding it weird when you mentioned them before. Not sure who I was thinking of ... maybe White Lung.

Recommend a good Ice Age song? Tried typing that into youtube and it just gave me a bunch of stuff from the kids movie with the same name.

it's iceage (one word), which could be your problem.

they are definitely from the punk spectrum, at least in terms of influence.

here's their new single, but it isn't really indicative of the album's sound. although, this will give you a taste of the singer's dreadful voice and the messy musicianship

and here's their first major single from back in the day. they must have been like 16 at the time

i just finished the new album and really, really like it. definitely gotta be in the mood for it, but i dig like it. might be their best.

definitely check out their last album called You're Nothing as well.

what's your favourite Dino Jr album? i've had a very soft spot for Where You Been. i think i bought it in 1998 for dirt cheap from Lyle's Place, entirely based on the cover art. always loved the guitar work on that album.

favourite would be Farm, their second most recent from 5 years ago. Those guys still got it.

agreed on Where You Been though, that was also how I got into them, so, nostalgia, and the artwork -> when I put all my cds into binders and threw out the cases years ago, I cut that one up and made a weird collage, that's how awesome and creepy it is.

homepage_large.1aae549e.jpg

they definitely do still have it. i really, really liked their last one, You Bet on Sky. the lead off song, 'don't pretend you didn't know' is easily a top 3 song of theirs for me.

but even though i loved their last one so much, i don't even think i listened to Farm

definitely gonna give it a go later tonight

Archived