The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2014

The Bookie

I heard that song on HelloGiggles a month or so ago. Did any of the guys respond to it? I remember reading somewhere that it was tongue in cheek but it's pretty spot on. Does that song get airplay, do you know? I've not heard it on JRFM when I've been in the car, so I pretty much forgot that it existed.

I heard that song on HelloGiggles a month or so ago. Did any of the guys respond to it? I remember reading somewhere that it was tongue in cheek but it's pretty spot on. Does that song get airplay, do you know? I've not heard it on JRFM when I've been in the car, so I pretty much forgot that it existed.

Currently sits at #26 on the airplay chart, selling great. For a new, female act, it's doing fantastically. Setting up to be a huge hit.

Edit: yeah, Chase Rice responded with something along the lines of "love the new maddie and tae song, something sexy about a little trash talk". Dude's such a freaking douchenozzle.

i'm not crazy about that 'how bout u' hook thing, but i dig the rest of the song. i really like their other released track called 'Om'

i think doom raps a little on the album, but i think its mostly his production and Nehru on vocals from what i understand

here's Nehru's first mixtape. i think he was only 16 at the time. only two tracks in, but i like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYdcUJZ0L4A

Twelvereasonstodie.jpg
i know this came out last year, but i haven't listened to it much since i originally posted about it then. after listening to it two more times tonight, i'm really more impressed with it than i was before. i liked it then, but now i think it's a legitimately great album
to be honest, it sounds like a collection of samples and loops from music used it a Tarantino film, set to golden age beats and production

it's a very short album, and one i have been excited for for ages, especially after listening to and loving both of Nehru's mixtapes recently. kid has legitimate talent. and everyone around here knows i j/o to pretty much everything Doom touches.

that said... my expectations were sky high, so naturally i'm let down.

excuse the excessive opinionated-ness:

the album is quite short, at 30 minutes. with a number of songs introduced with or ended with sections of sampling. all in all, the album is probably only about 23 minutes if you strip back all the clips (it was originally slated to just be an EP)

the first 'song' (just sampling/intro) transitions super well into Om, and that song is killer.

really dig the production on the next song, Mean the Most. even though it is sorta cutesy and childish. to match that, the lyrics are kinda childish too (a problem Nehru had on his first mixtape occasionally). this song really introduces a problem with the album: Nehru has FAR too many hooks. he's 'singing' throughout and the hooks just aren't good. he's only 18 (may have been 17 at the recording of this), and it really shows at times. this is one of those times, IMO. but i still like the song.

next song, So Alone, is more or less the same, except I don't really like DOOM's production on this either. leads nicely into 'Darkness' which I think is a good song, but again, don't like Nehru's hook. Next song 'Coming for You' also has a prominent hook, and it's okay. But the song is just alright.

Caskets - is a very old school, very traditional new york hip hop song. sounds like early wu tang. nice. nehru sounds great on this track, showcases his ability nicely

great things - worst track on the album, IMO.

Disastrous, the final song, is solid too. because it's just straight up rhyming and very typical DOOM production

all in all, I'd say it's a good album, but nothing compared to what I had hoped for. would have been spectacular had Nehru just cooled it on all the hooks that are constantly repeated throughout. but that maybe just my view, because I don't like when rap albums have constant chorus or hook repetition, especially when it's the rapper 'singing' them. Doom only has a few verses on the album, and his production is pretty much typical of his style. but it's nothing compared to Doom's best projects, IMO

I loved DFA 1979's debut. Haven't heard the new one yet...but have listened to the track they have on NHL15 a few times, and it's fairly meh.

Speaking of NHL15, there is a song on there from a guy called Max Frost (I think) that is catchy-as-hell. Anyone familiar with him?

Archived