The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2014

The Bookie

beyond putting out an extremely groovy, good album, Thom is trying to push the music industry to new places by making torrenting more commonplace and taking away any level of separation between bands and their fans in terms of distribution. he never lets me down, goddamn.

the second half of the album totally falls off in terms of it being, like, catchy, or even specifically memorable (for me), but i still really like the feel and sound of it. i've had the thing on repeat all day. i really like it

truth be told, i love king of limbs too. i used to be really sour about Yorke's direction in recent years, but now i totally love it

Wasn't the torrent of the Thom Yorke album a new pay-torrent model?

I mean, I'm sure it's already migrated over to free torrent sites, but I thought that was the base idea.

you're probably right, i actually just saw the 'torrent' thing and assumed free

whoops..

i love Girls, and still listen to those 2 albums semi-regularly, especially that totally under appreciated EP they released.

i even shamefully dig a lot of Christopher Owens' solo work--even if it is totally kitschy and kinda trashy.

but this album cover is absolutely, positively unforgivable.

one of the worst I have ever seen

CO_NT_cover_hi-res_1440x1400px-1024x1024

by the way, D-Money, I dunno if I said this already, but have you given that Dum Dum Girls album much attention since your initial reaction?

I've been listening to it steady throughout the year now, and I honestly really like it. Not as good as that EP we both like, but still. I really, really enjoy it now.

new Thom Yorke is a jam.

try the Ty Segall, if you're into that 'indie rock' stuff?

i agree though. been a really weak year overall

No, I haven't. Can't even remember if i even DL'd it. But am going to do some DL-ing tomorrow, so I will confirm. Will grab the new Yorke and Segall too.

This year has been weak in terms of quantity. There just hasn't been much with diving into. However, the St. Vincent and War On Drugs albums are phenomenal, particularly the former.

by the way, D-Money, I dunno if I said this already, but have you given that Dum Dum Girls album much attention since your initial reaction?

I've been listening to it steady throughout the year now, and I honestly really like it. Not as good as that EP we both like, but still. I really, really enjoy it now.

new Thom Yorke is a jam.

try the Ty Segall, if you're into that 'indie rock' stuff?

i agree though. been a really weak year overall

Ya forgot to mention Segall's Manipulator, it's definitely another one from this year that I've enjoyed. Gave that St. Vincent one more chance and for some reason I actually liked it this time. Not sure what changed but Rattlesnake and Digital Witness were definitely the highlights for me.

I guess I'm just feeling like there hasn't been an album that gets me stoked.

Digital Witness is my favourite song of the year, and Rattlesnake is also top-5. But there are a few other great songs on there too, such as Severed Cross Fingers, Huey Newton, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx4USreqgss

The only song I don't really care for much is Birth In Reverse.

i wish i could get this Aphex Twin stuff, but it just doesn't resonate with me at all

that Flying Lotus album sounds a lot more palatable on second listen. i have crazy respect for what that guy does, even if i don't find it all that enjoyable at times

I wouldn't try too hard to 'get' Aphex. For years I had friends really pushing him on me and it could have ruined the music, but I'm glad I kept a few albums around. There's a right time right place for it, though it changes drastically from album to album. Much as I like (most of) it I never focus too directly, it's background/environment music.

Burial I only know from his stuff with Four Tet, but I like that.

he's worth getting into, i think

and yeah, i'll try it again as background music soon. i definitely used the ambient works as background stuff and was able to enjoy it from time to time

unrelated, but p4k just gave the Yorke record a pretty lukewarm review. i think like 6.3 or something. definitely think it's higher than that, but i sorta agree with their criticism at the same time

also, the FlyLo album made me listen to Cosmagramma again, and man that stuff is good.

anyone have any recommendations for (mostly, or entirely) instrumental hip hop? i've heard a whole lot of Madlib's stuff, and DOOM's special herbs series. but other than that, i haven't really explored that world much.

anyone who really enjoys the new FlyLo should definitely check out Madlib's "Shades of Blue" -- it is far more straight jazz, but it has kind of the same progression, just without all the weird glitchy stuff going on

he's worth getting into, i think

and yeah, i'll try it again as background music soon. i definitely used the ambient works as background stuff and was able to enjoy it from time to time

unrelated, but p4k just gave the Yorke record a pretty lukewarm review. i think like 6.3 or something. definitely think it's higher than that, but i sorta agree with their criticism at the same time

also, the FlyLo album made me listen to Cosmagramma again, and man that stuff is good.

anyone have any recommendations for (mostly, or entirely) instrumental hip hop? i've heard a whole lot of Madlib's stuff, and DOOM's special herbs series. but other than that, i haven't really explored that world much.

anyone who really enjoys the new FlyLo should definitely check out Madlib's "Shades of Blue" -- it is far more straight jazz, but it has kind of the same progression, just without all the weird glitchy stuff going on

Check out RJD2 if you haven't already. It's mainly instrumental, but he does use a lot of sampled vocals. Really sick stuff tho.

gave it a listen last night, bilbro, and yeah it is good. although i generally prefer a bit more jazzy stuff, that was a good listen while i got some other stuff done. i definitely appreciate the vocal samples, too. a few of the more drum-heavy tracks sounded great.

Archived