The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2014

The Bookie

i've been following these guys since their demos popped up years and years ago. their (er, his?) demos are unbelievably good. fantastic stuff. i knew about them because isaac brock (modest mouse) was hyping them up and signed them to his label. their debut was just okay (over-produced versions of their great demos).

finally have a follow-up record, and it's OKAY, but this song is amaaaazing.

well, I really like the Alt-J album but once again, a little too perfect and there's nothing much to say about it.

I love precise execution in electronic music, but when it comes to live instrumentation I lean towards the Neil Young / Steve Albini / etc. school of thought. I like a bit of grit and error in the recording; I guess it's the human element.

well, I really like the Alt-J album but once again, a little too perfect and there's nothing much to say about it.

I love precise execution in electronic music, but when it comes to live instrumentation I lean towards the Neil Young / Steve Albini / etc. school of thought. I like a bit of grit and error in the recording; I guess it's the human element.

what do you think about, say, for example, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours?

I mean, obviously (I hope you agree) it's a fantastic album... but does the insane 'polished-ness' of it drive you crazy?

what do you think about, say, for example, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours?

I mean, obviously (I hope you agree) it's a fantastic album... but does the insane 'polished-ness' of it drive you crazy?

Actually that's a good question. I only really know that album from a roommate a few years ago who played it every day over the summer, but it was a beat up old vinyl copy played on an ancient hi-fi stereo setup that would constantly break down and she would ask me to get in there and try to repair the wiring.

All of which is to say - I've never heard it cleanly, so I will go grab a digital copy and report back.

(but I do agree it's fantastic from a songwriting standpoint)

thinking about it now there is some instrument based music that I like precision/perfection in - metal.

Eraser was great. Definitely going to pick up that new one.

Reps from U2, Springsteen, and Kanye must be greasing some pockets over at RS. Every time one of their albums drops, they turn into lego characters singing "Everything Is Awesome".

he released it to torrenting sites. it's all free.

listening now, and the first two songs are great. second song in particular is fantastic

Eraser is an incredibly underrated album. The year it was released, I don't know a song I listened to more than "Atoms for Peace".

Harrowdown Hill and Analyse were played a ton in my car/house.

My wife isn't a Radiohead fan at all, and yet she also really liked that album.

Harrowdown Hill and Analyse were played a ton in my car/house.

My wife isn't a Radiohead fan at all, and yet she also really liked that album.

I think it must be a women thing, because my wife cannot stand Radiohead. Only song she likes is "Idioteque"; but that's partly because whenever we've gone to karaoke, that's my go to song when I'm about to passout from too much drinking, but still able to dance, albeit, very slowly.

by the way, D-Money, I dunno if I said this already, but have you given that Dum Dum Girls album much attention since your initial reaction?

I've been listening to it steady throughout the year now, and I honestly really like it. Not as good as that EP we both like, but still. I really, really enjoy it now.

I miss 2012. There have been some albums this year that I have loved (War on Drugs, Real Estate) but it seems to drop off quickly after that for me. I'm hoping the new Run The Jewels blows my mind but even then 2012 still blows this year out of the water.

new Thom Yorke is a jam.

try the Ty Segall, if you're into that 'indie rock' stuff?

i agree though. been a really weak year overall

beyond putting out an extremely groovy, good album, Thom is trying to push the music industry to new places by making torrenting more commonplace and taking away any level of separation between bands and their fans in terms of distribution. he never lets me down, goddamn.

Archived