The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

Countdown on O'Reilly

Circle Feb. 28 on your calendar. It’s as of that date that the trade freeze lifts on Ryan O'Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche can move the star player if it wishes to do so. They weren’t allowed to trade him for 12 months after matching Calgary’s offer sheet last Feb. 28.

There are several teams we’ve spoken to over the past week that are eagerly anticipating Colorado’s decision on O’Reilly. Do they move him or keep him?

He’s a restricted free agent July 1 whose qualifying offer costs $6.5 million. No small potatoes. Of course they can also sign him to an extension for less money if the player was up for that.

If Colorado wants to seriously upgrade its defense corps, it likely needs to make a quality top-six forward available. Is that O’Reilly, pending UFA Paul Stastny or is there another way to get that defenseman?

If the Avs do put O’Reilly on the trade market (and again, we don’t’ know if they ever will), there would be at least a dozen teams interested. One of them would likely be the Vancouver Canucks, who are said to covet O’Reilly and have depth at defense, which is what the Avs would be looking for. Food for thought…

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/28795/rumblings-market-for-goalies-countdown-to-ryan-oreilly-decision

Edler for O'Reilly

Booth, 2nd for Campbell at 50%

Tanev, Hansen, Jensen, 1st, 2nd for Kane in the summer

Roster outline for next year

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Kane - O'Reilly - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Kassian

Gaunce - Richardson - Santorelli

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Campbell - Garrison

Stanton - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Yes please. That's the type of 'rebuild on the fly' we need.

Edler for O'Reilly

Tanev, Hansen, Gaunce, 1st for Kane in the summer

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Campbell - Garrison

Stanton - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Yes please.

I like to Dream too.

I'm perfectly fine with giving him a 6x6 deal any day of the week.

He's what, 22 years old/23 years old?

He's a 60 pt player these next few seasons, with a possibility of going higher in production.

If the Canucks management loved Horvat, they'd get on their knees for O'Reilly.

Edler for O'Reilly

Tanev, Hansen, Gaunce, 1st for Kane in the summer

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Campbell - Garrison

Stanton - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Yes please.

canucks would have to add to edler to get o'reilly.

why on earth would florida want booth and his terrible contract back? they got rid of him for a reason. not to mention it would take a lot more than that package to get campbell even at full price, let alone with florida retaining half.

hugely overrating kane, just like everyone on this site overrates every name player that allegedly becomes available. i wouldn't trade tanev straight up for kane, since tanev will prevent far more goals every year than kane will score, without the stupid high cost and attitude issues.

don't quit your day job.

I dunno his cap hit is pretty big and will take $6.5mil to qualify him this summer. Is he really worth that?

Exactly. No doubt he's a good player, and no doubt he would really help the Canucks. But at that price tag... geez....

Only way I do it is if you talk to him before the trade and he's up for an extension in the 5 year, $5.5 million range.

Any chance they'd take Hansen, Corrado and a pick? I just don't see MG moving Edler in this sort of deal, considering the risk of resigning and what he presumably turned down from DET last summer.

More I think about it...more it'd have to be Tanev. RFA for RFA. It'd take Tanev, a body and a high pick.

Archived