The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] DO NOTHING and wait for Callahan in the off-season

Since the Canucks arent really going to be making any big pushes... with whatever excuse we want to put here...

i say the Canucks' mandate should really be:

(1) (With all the injuries in place) testing and experimenting their new players such as... Jensen, Grenier in the RW position... Corrado, maybe Tommernes and Andersson at D... Sestito in a line with Kesler/Kassian and/or with Sedins... although i already like what Tortorella is doing...hopefully hard work continues to be awarded and Sedins are the best model professionals to that.

(2) getting rid of players for draft picks... possible candidates such as (1) Booth (i'm dreaming.. who in the right mind would even want this guy)... maybe even (2) Burrows (God forbid.... but we have too many LW-ers already... and with Shinkaruk and Horvat and/or Gaunce coming up.. we need to make room to really give these young guns a chance to overcome the growing pains)... (3) Hansen... i love Hansen but his hands are fkn terrible.... and should not be used more than a 3rd line RW-er.... (4A) One of our "Top 4" D-man... or if not, (4B) Tanev while he is in demand and "hot"

(3) Be patient with our youth and DONT mind losing games!!.... if the Canucks are indeed serious about building a contender... they'll have to be patient and lose games with their new guys in the team.... Put Horvat or Gaunce in the lineup and LOSE with them... They're not gonna learn from playing in the minors... stress Kesler/Sedins to help with molding them PATIENTLY.... We also have too many unproductive top six guys! Just cut them loose already.. Booth especially...he's awful

(3A) Give Schroeder and Lain a chance together.... give them a shot... Schroeder has awesome reads and makes great plays.. but he is just too small at centre... he must go to RW and play alongside a guy like Kellan Lain...

(4) Define our bottom six guys and give them permanent roles... We have SOOOO many bottom six guys that are doing better than expected... but we need to really define their roles and mold them like Chicago (see Bickell, Shaw, etc..) and LA (see Nolan, King, etc..).... We all know Higgins/Hansen as a 3rd line wing pairing is great and better than most teams.... Sestito and Weise are good 4th liners... and yes.. i said it... Weise is alright... the most ideal will be Sestito/Lain/ and Tom Wilson as their RWer....

(5) Offload our crappy top six forwards..... we gave so many guys so many chances in the top 6.. if they are not producing, they MUST go.. Booth being bought out is a MUST...

(6) Re-sign Mike Santorelli... this guy is all heart.. chases the puck down even with his diminutive size. This is what we need more of!

If the hockey gods smile upon us through tortorella... we may land Callahan after we buy out Booth.

our line up would be like this...

Sedin/Sedin/Callahan

Burrows/Kesler/Kassian

or

Sedin/Sedin/Callahan

Higgins/Kesler/Kassian

Burrows/Lain/Schroeder

Sestito/Richardson/Santorelli

or get rid of Higgins for a pick and give Horvat a chance next year.. (as you can see... the less than stellar top 6 forwards that we have are clogging up all these top 6 minutes)

Sedin/Sedin/Callahan

Horvat/Kesler/Kassian

Burrows/Lain/Schroeder

Sestito/Richardson/Santorelli

Extra forwards: Weise, Hansen (maybe slip him as a 4th line RW if santorelli isnt re-signed), Dalpe

PP1: Sedin/Sedin/Callahan/Bieksa/Edler (<---yes i know Bieksa and Edler dont play well together... but Hamhuis isnt good on the backdoor play.... reasoning is that Bieksa holds the line well and having the D go on their off-wing allows them to unload their shots)

PP2: Burrows/Kesler/Kassian/Hamhuis/Garrison

PLEASE BRING CALLAHAN ... PLEASE!!!!! $5 to $6m for 2 to 4 years.... GET RID OF BOOTH pleaseeee.....

How about no cause we won't have the cap space after resigning our players

With Booth and Hansen gone that gives us room to sign Callahan. Not to mention the rising cap

I don't think Lain is our 3rd center. I'd rather that spot go to Gaunce or Horvat, maybe one of them is ready.

Also on the 4th line I'd like to see a rookie make a spot. Just for instance.

Jensen Richardson Sestito

Archibald.

I believe your 4th line is a good spot to bring in young players. And Jensen wouldn't be playing with plugs. ( this is if Jensen is NHL ready or on the verge) Going into next season I think Vancouver should put focus on the bottom 6 being rebuilt. becoming a place that pieces of the next core can come into and start getting NHL ice time.

Ideally something like these would be nice

1)

Higgins Horvat Hansen

2)

Higgins Gaunce Hansen

3)

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Gaunce Richardson Sestito

If I could have a dream line, with players all stepping up over the summer

Higgins Ott/Bolland Horvat

Jensen/Gaunce Richardson Hansen

How about no cause we won't have the cap space after resigning our players

Also no because Callahan's not going to solve our scoring woes, plus OP how is that lineup any different the best that we can put forth? You say move some players, yet the very same guys are still in the lineup you posted.

RE: OP If this team's moving forward, MG will have to ask guys (including some core guys) to waive if this decline in offensive punch keeps up. The guys are pros and they get it when the business wants to improve and restock for the future, so don't use things like "NTC" to justify not making moves since other teams throw NTC's out like it's candy but they still trade those same guys anyways (Nash waived his NTC to go to the Apple, so did Clowe, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Brenden Morrow... it can and should happen if the value comes back)

hopefully horvat can make the jump next year....i'm not sure any of the others will.....i agree, buy booth out, try moving edler....

find a top six scorer and a quarter back on the power play......we don't need 3rd or 4th line players or much more on defense....our goaltending is solid.......blowing the team up is not the way to build this team.....move 2 or three guys a year.....

Also no because Callahan's not going to solve our scoring woes, plus OP how is that lineup any different the best that we can put forth? You say move some players, yet the very same guys are still in the lineup you posted.

RE: OP If this team's moving forward, MG will have to ask guys (including some core guys) to waive if this decline in offensive punch keeps up. The guys are pros and they get it when the business wants to improve and restock for the future, so don't use things like "NTC" to justify not making moves since other teams throw NTC's out like it's candy but they still trade those same guys anyways (Nash waived his NTC to go to the Apple, so did Clowe, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Brenden Morrow... it can and should happen if the value comes back)

I think Callahan is a Trent Klatt on steroids..... Klatt was a bottom six forward and he was brilliant with the Sedins... not to mention all the rest that followed... Taylor Pyatt, Anson Carter, Steve Bernier....

I'm not saying it is a "one size fits all" solution... Im just saying Callahan would make the Sedins a whole lot better... and that in itself is worth a lot... and im not sayiing Callahan would instantly make us a cup contender.. but it makes sense from business and hockey standpoint because (A) we're not losing assets in getting him.

And yes... with the salary cap coming up to $70m next year... and Booth bought out, signing Callahan is easily viable... and pending to the small (but significant) factor of Tanev and Kassian not demanding a huge increase.

I'd very much like Callahan here but something tells me he gets traded somewhere before the deadline and signs there in the offseason. But we still need to make one more deal even if we add Callahan as our current core isn't good enough. Definitely a top 4 defender, doesn't matter who, needs to be moved with possibly Hansen or Higgins.

I have a good feeling our young guns are good to go soon. And Edler/Garrison plus Hansen/Higgins could fetch us a decent top 6 forward. Although NTC's make a trade like that next to impossible.

I'm not sure he'll sign with Canucks for 2-4 years when he's asking for 8 from the Rangers.

I was thinking a short term contract so that Callahan can just see if he likes Vancouver first? ... besides Im not opposed to Callahan signing a 8 year contract if it is the $4.5 to $4.75 range... because Callahan is only 28 years old but he is injury-proned... nevertheless, a player of Callahan's calibre and the added value of heart and experience is VERY hard to come by. Callahan knows what Tortorella expects and he would only ADD to the Sedins' professional attitude.

I'd very much like Callahan here but something tells me he gets traded somewhere before the deadline and signs there in the offseason. But we still need to make one more deal even if we add Callahan as our current core isn't good enough. Definitely a top 4 defender, doesn't matter who, needs to be moved with possibly Hansen or Higgins.

I have a good feeling our young guns are good to go soon. And Edler/Garrison plus Hansen/Higgins could fetch us a decent top 6 forward. Although NTC's make a trade like that next to impossible.

Suggestions... would it be possible to add:

Tom Wilson?

Mika Zibanejad?

Ryan Johansen?

With Booth and Hansen gone that gives us room to sign Callahan. Not to mention the rising cap

I don't think Lain is our 3rd center. I'd rather that spot go to Gaunce or Horvat, maybe one of them is ready.

Also on the 4th line I'd like to see a rookie make a spot. Just for instance.

Archibald.

I believe your 4th line is a good spot to bring in young players. And Jensen wouldn't be playing with plugs. ( this is if Jensen is NHL ready or on the verge) Going into next season I think Vancouver should put focus on the bottom 6 being rebuilt. becoming a place that pieces of the next core can come into and start getting NHL ice time.

Ideally something like these would be nice

1)

Higgins Horvat Hansen

2)

Higgins Gaunce Hansen

3)

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Gaunce Richardson Sestito

If I could have a dream line, with players all stepping up over the summer

Higgins Ott/Bolland Horvat

Jensen/Gaunce Richardson Hansen

Ott might be too expensive... but that WOULD be sick... and it gives us versatility to move them up to top 6 if there are injuries.

Not sure if we want Jensen grinding it out on the 4th line... and he plays on his off-hand LHS on the RW position... so maybe replace Hansen with Jensen might be better on the 3rd line.

great comments though! Thanks for that

I agree

Buyout booth

Sign Callahan

Trade Edler and Hansen plus for Wheeler plus.

Sedin Sedin Burr

Callahan Kesler Wheeler

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Santo Richardson Sestito

Archibald

If Kesler cant have chemistry with these two guys, For the love of all that is good in this world trade him for a winger and move callahan to center or to wing with twins and burr drops down to line two. That is a very tough team to play against

I agree

Buyout booth

Sign Callahan

Sedin Sedin Burr

Callahan Kesler Wheeler

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Santo Richardson Sestito

Archibald

If Kesler cant have chemistry with these two guys, For the love of all that is good in this world trade him for a winger and move callahan to center or to wing with twins and burr drops down to line two. That is a very tough team to play against

HAHAHA i like how you put the Kesler clause... yes... its highly conceivable that he wouldnt play well with these two great players..... maybe we'll have to drop him to Line 3 and convert into a Line 2B (shutdown line) with Higgins and whoever...

i absolutely love Wheeler.... although that would mean Edler/Byfuglien as a D pairing, thats hella scary.. but hey, u cant just get a guy like wheeler for scraps... if they bite on Garrison+Hansen for Wheeler, consider it done.. cuz that frees up cap space and brings in a high quality RWer.

In my opinion if we can get a callahan who will be overpaid no doubt but is a solid 25 25 guy and a wheeler who is more of the same but in a different style of play we should be considered favorites again. If horvat cant pan out right away santorelli slots in third line center there is so much diversity on this team and a mix of youth and old and style it should be an excellent team assuming the pp can score goals thats the real key.

I agree

Buyout booth

Sign Callahan

Sedin Sedin Burr

Callahan Kesler Wheeler

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Santo Richardson Sestito

Archibald

I dont think we can buy out more than 1 more player.... because we used one of our 2 compliance buyouts on Keith Ballard ***shivers***

Soooo OPTION #2 has begun... Raphael Diaz for Dale Weise. WOOHOO... I like this trade because if it pans out, we have more reason to trade one of our top 4.... if it doesnt, we cut him loose after this season... or even get rid of him for conditional picks before July 1st.

keep unloading veterans (not listed in any particular order ---i.e. Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa... and yeah even Hamhuis).... we need more room for Gaunce and Horvat next year.... and not to mention Kellan Lain looks good out there... I like Schroeder too (altho he's small.. the way he sees the ice and passes the puck is better than most... even better than Danny Sedin at the moment).

I am 100% against trading the Sedins though. They are model professionals.. work their asses off in the off-season.. helps with the community. WE as the Canucks have got to stick by them through thick and thin.... We cannot question their effort... performance is relative... its not our season this year.. SO WHAT? it doesnt change the results from last year's short season and the regular season before (both 1st rd playoff losses)..... we must embrace this challenge that we have in front of us. Its not like the Sedins are gonna crap every year till the end of the contract.... I honestly dont think so. But it is about time we shake things up (when the opportunity occurs ----via free agency or trade) and give them a legitimate RW-er...... Kassian could be that guy in 2 to 3 seasons...

So who knows... we might make the cup again before the Sedins' contracts are up in 2018. I certainly believe they can do so.

It would definitely help if we remain PATIENT and even move Kesler or Hamhuis for picks and of course a center back if we are trading Kesler...

We need to draft another center this upcoming draft... Michael Dal Colle please!.... Centres can always shift out to wing... Wingers cant play centre usually..... We can always shift Horvat and/or Gaunce to LW.... Hence we need to get rid of our abundance of "quality" LWers: Burrows (God forbid --- i love Burr -- but forthe greater good) and/or Higgins (this is assuming Booth buyout is a foregone conclusion).

Yeah lets pick up another injury prone player that can't score...

Callahan is injury-prone yes... But when he's healthy, what calibre of player is he then?

if the hockey gods were to just smile upon us to give us 2 or 3 seasons.. where the Sedins, Luongo, Kesler and Callahn are healthy in the playoffs (that's if we make the playoffs), we're as good as any team if we stay disciplined... and who knows, we might have a chance at the cup... you only need one year to get there where (a) a goalie gets hot, (B) 3rd and 4th liners plugging goals in.. and © your best players are your best players.....

I think Callahan besides the injuries would add yes hockey value... but its the intangibles of his leadership to calm his teammates down during bad times... that's what makes him invaluable... and he would only add to the Sedin leadership. That is why i am pushing for Callahan....

I wouldnt be opposed to giving Vanek or Vrbata a chance too... for the right price. But obviously i'll pick Callahan over those two... (maybe not Vanek because he's such a solid goal scorer.. and he would (and should) look sick with the Sedins... not sure about his personality though)...

Archived