The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15 year old Jakob Chychrun - the next one.

On 2016/4/10 at 7:57 AM, canucklehead44 said:

If we end up selecting fourth and pick Chychrun I won't be at all disappointed we didn't win the lottery. Chychrun has insane physical ability along with work ethic.

As a rookie:

"

On the first day of fitness testing, Chychrun demolished the competition during a medicine ball tossing event.

“His score was, I want to say, 25% further than any other player,” Sting coach Trevor Letowski said Wednesday, almost in disbelief months later, “including the 19, 20-year-olds.

"
On top of his physical strength, speed, and stamina, he also maintained a 4.0 GPA in his highschool. I know this doesn't mean much, but it looks like he has a very serious head on his shoulders (I doubt Kassian was a straight "A" student). Also heard good things about his maturity and leadership. 

He went from surefire #2 down to 6, 7, even 9 on some lists. He still finished fourth in OHL defenseman scoring and played huge minutes, which is awesome for a draft year dman. 

It seems like getting cut from the World Juniors hurt his chances, and wasn't it because of age? If Chychrun elected to play for team USA, chances are he would have had a strong showing and would probably be in the same echelon as the Finns in the draft discussions. 

I personally see the draft as Matthews - > Laine / Puj / Chychurn -> Tkachuk / Dubois / Juolevi / Sergachev / Nylander

Matthews is set number one, the Finns/Chych being interchangeable, and the next group of forwards/dmen being interchangeable. 

IF we end up picking 5th and Chychrun goes fourth, I think that is the hardest pick to make. 

Tkachuk is probably the BPA, BUT is there enough of a difference between him and the two defenseman to not draft by position?

I'm sure Benning isn't the only one that will admire him for his high GPA.

Seems like a player that Benning would strongly consider, if we don't land Matthews.

On 13/04/2016 at 9:57 PM, Dazzle said:

I'm sure Benning isn't the only one that will admire him for his high GPA.

Seems like a player that Benning would strongly consider, if we don't land Matthews.

Sounds like he isn't standing out the under 18's.  I think there's a reason her been dropping and he might be the third dman taken.

Left off the world Jr team and isn't dominating at the world under 18's.  Both flags for me.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Sounds like he isn't standing out the under 18's.  I think there's a reason her been dropping and he might be the third dman taken.

Left off the world Jr team and isn't dominating at the world under 18's.  Both flags for me.

Fair enough. I really don't know enough about these prospects to really say who Benning should pick. I'm however very interested to hear about the other perspectives.

This year's draft is something I'm really excited for, especially knowing when we are drafting. We did bad enough to earn a potential lottery pick!

Who do you rate in terms of the top 4 or 5 prospects in your mind? Maybe give a quick blurb on why.

45 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Fair enough. I really don't know enough about these prospects to really say who Benning should pick. I'm however very interested to hear about the other perspectives.

This year's draft is something I'm really excited for, especially knowing when we are drafting. We did bad enough to earn a potential lottery pick!

Who do you rate in terms of the top 4 or 5 prospects in your mind? Maybe give a quick blurb on why.

My #1 Would be Laine because he's the game breaker in the draft.  

Mathews......not totally sold on him as a franchise guy, but too good to slide to #3 and being a cman gives him more value.

Pulijarvi......he'd be close to Mathews for me, but wingers aren't as valuable as cmen.

Tkachuk......offense, grit, attitude.  Exactly the combo the Canucks need.  If they can't get one of the top 3, he's an excellent consolation prize.

#5 is a where things get cloudy.  I don't know enough about Dubois to say he's a lock for me, but the Canucks need immediate offense, and her likely to inject that long before a dman.

Juolevi.....I think he's a dynamic two dman, similar to Olli Matta.  I thought he was the best dman in the world juniors.

Sergachev.....don't know a lot about him, but like what I've heard.  Woukdnt be surprised if he turns out to be the best dman in the draft.

Chycrun......I'm not sold on him and I don't think he's a #1 dman, but a solid 2-3.

Archived