The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15 year old Jakob Chychrun - the next one.

Chychrun watch

14 games played, 3g, 7a 10 points, 8 PIMs +11

Mmmmm....beef

Direct comparison to other D top prospect Sean Day

16 games played 3g, 7a, 9 points, 12 PIMs -1

Day has dropped quite a bit from last year, a lot of mock drafts don't even have him in the first round anymore.

Some other top D men

Jake Bean

6’0” 172lb

14gp 7g 8a 15pt (8pim -1)

Ollie Juolevi

6’2” 183lbs

14gp 7g 8a 15pt (12pim 0)

Mikhail Sergachyov

6’2” 205lbs

15gp 4g 4a 8pt  (10pim +4)

And the monster,

Logan Brown

6’5” 215lbs

9gp 1g 10a 11pt  (10pim +6)

It should be a real interesting year.  A lot of quality D prospects available.  If JB can pick up another 1st round or early second round pick in a Vbrata deal, we could really change the outlook on our D prospect pool. 

Day has dropped quite a bit from last year, a lot of mock drafts don't even have him in the first round anymore.

Some other top D men

Jake Bean

6’0” 172lb

14gp 7g 8a 15pt (8pim -1)

Ollie Juolevi

6’2” 183lbs

14gp 7g 8a 15pt (12pim 0)

Mikhail Sergachyov

6’2” 205lbs

15gp 4g 4a 8pt  (10pim +4)

And the monster,

Logan Brown

6’5” 215lbs

9gp 1g 10a 11pt  (10pim +6)

It should be a real interesting year.  A lot of quality D prospects available.  If JB can pick up another 1st round or early second round pick in a Vbrata deal, we could really change the outlook on our D prospect pool. 

I seriously cannot see Day dropping out of the 1st, but if we can somehow find Day in our pool next year + another one of these potentials in the first round I'd be over the moon.

Ultimately the dream scenario would be Day and Chychrun but a LOT of cards would have to fall for us and that's never happened.

A potential (comparable only) 1-2 of A Pronger and a Neidermeyer if expert analysts are right in their comparisons would launch this clubs blueline into the future

i was 105 lol but i had several friends that were this kids size at 15 its not that crazy. kinda like the kids in grade 8 and 9 that have a beard ( i didn't even start shaving until i was 20)

Yeah, it's not unheard of,

I remember a few bruisers around when I was that age,

Of course being a spry and agile 85lbs at the time, they knew better than to mess with me.,

• 2 weeks later...

Chychrun and top prospect watch

Chychrun:  20 games played 13 points 10 pims +/- 10

Day:  22 games played 12 points 12 pims +/- -7

Matthews:  14 games played 17 points 2 pims +/- 2

Puljujarvi:  21 games played 10 points 6 pims +/- 9

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Chychrun and top prospect watch

Chychrun:  20 games played 13 points 10 pims +/- 10

Day:  22 games played 12 points 12 pims +/- -7

Matthews:  14 games played 17 points 2 pims +/- 2

Puljujarvi:  21 games played 10 points 6 pims +/- 9

Puljujarvi looked absolutely ridiculous last WJC.  Could have scored 10 goals the way he generates chances. I imagine all of them will be on display this year?

Mathews seems to be separating himself from the pack.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎25‎:‎48‎, terrible.dee said:

Who cares?

He's comparing them as physically dominant hockey players.

And I agree with everyone who is saying lets temper the enthusiasm until he's playing against guys his own size.

Who cares?

The purpose of scouting is to observe all the toolboxes. And see how they use them to compete. So you can project with the highest probability possible how a guy will be able to handle the next level. Being bigger, stronger and faster is never a bad start...

48 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Puljujarvi looked absolutely ridiculous last WJC.  Could have scored 10 goals the way he generates chances. I imagine all of them will be on display this year?

Mathews seems to be separating himself from the pack.

Not sure the validity but I thought Matthews was injured.  either way I have a fond hope we can pick up one of the two of Chychrun or Day.  Otherwise Fabbro from here in penticton would be an absolute dream

In fact I wouldn't find fault with benning spending some serious time looking at the valley, the BCJHL Vees and Vipers are full of talent with the vees holding 2 players in the top 10 for NA ranking and then of course the rockets in kelowna...

Holding out hope for multiple picks in the first round with ours being in the top 10 and seeing benning go hog wild on defenseive prospects

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

either way I have a fond hope we can pick up one of the two of Chychrun or Day.  Otherwise Fabbro from here in penticton would be an absolute dream

Holding out hope for multiple picks in the first round with ours being in the top 10 and seeing benning go hog wild on defenseive prospects

Me if that happens:

uLcDa.gif

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Me if that happens:

uLcDa.gif

Well we've what...currently 3 picks in the first 2 rounds?  All we need is an average season adn we've a shot at Fabbro, a bad season a shot at Fabbro Day or Chychrun.  And some serious luck for a lottery win if we miss the playoffs.

barring that of course we need a miracle of a horrible season plus a smart trade to a team that gives us a first and falls off the rails and wins the lottery.

gimme any 2 of chychrun day, matthews and fabbro please.

It's crazy I know.  But back to the matter at hand.  Any of those 3 prospects would be great and seeing Benning go nuts on D this draft would be even better

On 11/2/2015, 1:23:46, Warhippy said:

I seriously cannot see Day dropping out of the 1st, but if we can somehow find Day in our pool next year + another one of these potentials in the first round I'd be over the moon.

Ultimately the dream scenario would be Day and Chychrun but a LOT of cards would have to fall for us and that's never happened.

A potential (comparable only) 1-2 of A Pronger and a Neidermeyer if expert analysts are right in their comparisons would launch this clubs blueline into the future

Day is literally a fringe second/third rounder now.  If the team that gets Chychrun has a 2nd round pick, they will be able to pick up Day as well with no problem.  The real question there is whether or not Day is even worth an early 2nd.  IMO, he is not.  There are many better DMan available than him as it stands now.

8 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Day is literally a fringe second/third rounder now.  If the team that gets Chychrun has a 2nd round pick, they will be able to pick up Day as well with no problem.  The real question there is whether or not Day is even worth an early 2nd.  IMO, he is not.  There are many better DMan available than him as it stands now.

Having watched Fabbro play for a while now in Penticton I can say I like him.  The kid is smooth.  I'd jump on him in a draft.  But then I'd still pick up Poolman too when he came available (http://www.pentictonvees.ca/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=3172&leagueID=8370&teamID=440052&playerID=1322977)

There's still something about Day though that makes him an attractive pick with the allure of the late bloomer possibility

• 2 weeks later...

Right now the Canucks could easily be picking anywhere between 5th overall and 15th overall. If we can snag another 1st rounder with a Vbrata/Hamhuis trade I'd love for JB to go out and get two of these other guys (assuming Chychrun's gone), or trade up for Chychrun. I'd rather two of the later guys than just one Chychrun though, but we need guys playing physical right now who's development we can speed up. Don't have time for a skinny puck mover because our other prospects like McCann, Horvat and Virtanen have already been fast-tracked.

Our defensive prospect pooling has been a mess - JB should have started by drafting defencemen who take longer to develop, then focus on forwards who can be fast-tracked but he's mucked that up and gone the other way.

Archived