The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15 year old Jakob Chychrun - the next one.

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Stat watch

35 points in 48 games.

9 goals 26 assists 34 PIMS at 17 years old

8 points in his last 8 games too.

But right beside him (perhaps even past Chychrun) is Sergachev

41 points in 50 games,  his 14 goals lead all defense in the OHL, 40 PIM, all while doing this in his first year in NA and he couldn’t speak a bit of English when he first came over last July.  And he’s 3 months younger than Chychrun.

Either way, we NEED to draft one of these players.

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Instant boost to our D pool.  This good be a huge year for us.

Adding Chychrun/Sergachyov/Juolevi plus another lesser prospect to our pool would be huge for the organization. In a dream world we get one of those three (preferably one of the first 2) and then use an acquired later first or second round pick to grab another D man, like a McAvoy or Johansen for example. All of a sudden a pool of D prospects/young d consisting of: Sergachyov/Chychrun, Johansen, Tryamkin, Pedan, Subban, Hutton, Neil, and Olson doesn't look terrible. It still needs work but there's promise. 

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Instant boost to our D pool.  This good be a huge year for us.

I really don't care what people say about Day, I would 100% take a flyer on him if he's available with one of our picks in the 2nd.  Honestly hoping that Columbus coughs up their pick this year so we can.

Any 1 of Sergachev or Chycrun with Day would be a massive coup for us.  If Benning can parlay another mid round 1st and pick up Fabbro as well i'd actually consider building the boy a small shrine somewhere,

We've never really had a GM go all in on D in the first 2 rounds in our history that I know of and subsequently we've never had a Norris calibre D man or drafted one.

Might be time to change that

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Adding Chychrun/Sergachyov/Juolevi plus another lesser prospect to our pool would be huge for the organization. In a dream world we get one of those three (preferably one of the first 2) and then use an acquired later first or second round pick to grab another D man, like a McAvoy or Johansen for example. All of a sudden a pool of D prospects/young d consisting of: Sergachyov/Chychrun, Johansen, Tryamkin, Pedan, Subban, Hutton, Neil, and Olson doesn't look terrible. It still needs work but there's promise. 

The real dream would be picking up Bowey in the Hamhuis deal..  That would add another big piece to our pool

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I really don't care what people say about Day, I would 100% take a flyer on him if he's available with one of our picks in the 2nd.  Honestly hoping that Columbus coughs up their pick this year so we can.

Any 1 of Sergachev or Chycrun with Day would be a massive coup for us.  If Benning can parlay another mid round 1st and pick up Fabbro as well i'd actually consider building the boy a small shrine somewhere,

We've never really had a GM go all in on D in the first 2 rounds in our history that I know of and subsequently we've never had a Norris calibre D man or drafted one.

Might be time to change that

I agree with that.  Take the Blackhawks from 2002 & 2003 as an example.  In those 2 years they had 5 top 60 picks.  They drafted 4 D and 1 G with those picks,  not a single forward.  (Babchuk, Keith, Seabrook, Barinka, Crawford). Then to make things even more interested they still managed to pick up Byfuglien and Wisniewski in their later picks in those two years.  Two years of drafting completely defined the hawks back end.

Then after all that, in 2004 they had the 3rd overall picked another D, he didn’t turn out but that just goes to show you that drafting a strong D involves a scatter shot approach.  You can’t just hope the one player you draft turns out. 

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree with that.  Take the Blackhawks from 2002 & 2003 as an example.  In those 2 years they had 5 top 60 picks.  They drafted 4 D and 1 G with those picks,  not a single forward.  (Babchuk, Keith, Seabrook, Barinka, Crawford). Then to make things even more interested they still managed to pick up Byfuglien and Wisniewski in their later picks in those two years.  Two years of drafting completely defined the hawks back end.

Then after all that, in 2004 they had the 3rd overall picked another D, he didn’t turn out but that just goes to show you that drafting a strong D involves a scatter shot approach.  You can’t just hope the one player you draft turns out. 

I just think of the strongest teams in the league the last decade.  barring the Canucks all of them had multiple drafts where they drafted plenty of D.  even though they had already drafted multiple Dmen in previous years they drafted more.

You scatter shot is quite apt.

if we draft 4 D every other year for the next 5 years in the first 5 rounds or so we stand a much higher chance of being viable with depth on the blueline for the long term instead of hoping someone good makes it to UFA or overpaying via trade

14 hours ago, Blueberries said:

Juolevi and Sergachev are too risky for me. Chychrun is a home-run pick. At minimal he'll be Edler.

I honestly think he would be the best fit for the Canucks. He could step in next year on the Canucks blue line and not look out of place. 

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

I honestly think he would be the best fit for the Canucks. He could step in next year on the Canucks blue line and not look out of place. 

He is the less risk, but I don't think he has as high of ceiling as Sergachev.  I also don't think he'd be able to make are roster next year.  Our left side is loaded.  Tryamkin, Edler, Hutton, Sbisa, Pedan, possibly Hamhuis and Bartkowski. Let him develop properly, similarly to what the oilers did with Nurse,  21 and finally getting his shot in the NHL.

Archived