The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15 year old Jakob Chychrun - the next one.

Absolutely love how he leans to his outside to get those wrist shots off.  He's got a good nose for things and his size allows him to box out defenders.  As he grows his strength will too and he'll be pushing 10 year vets around with ease

anyone else think it's been over exposure that has lead to the debate about who the top defenseman is?  I mean, we've been following Chychrun's junior career for years and it's only been this year pretty much that we've followed Juolevi or Sergachev.  I believe he's been over analyzed at this point where as the other guys are still in the sweet heart phase with scouts. 

not to take anything away from the other two but I could see this being a part of why the debate even takes place.

1 hour ago, wshdrvvn said:

anyone else think it's been over exposure that has lead to the debate about who the top defenseman is?  I mean, we've been following Chychrun's junior career for years and it's only been this year pretty much that we've followed Juolevi or Sergachev.  I believe he's been over analyzed at this point where as the other guys are still in the sweet heart phase with scouts. 

not to take anything away from the other two but I could see this being a part of why the debate even takes place.

I don't think so, Chychrun was hyped up from a young age, but after this year he just didn't reach the level people expected of him,  he didn't reach the level of the former top D picks when early indications were he's be well above them.

I would think it's more development paths,  Two guys are trending upwards extremely fast, where Chychrun has started to plateau off.  As of right now he's still the best D in the draft, but it's possible that the other two keep rising and blow past him.  It's also likely that the other two are on a high streak, riding career years, filled with adrenaline and start to cool off. 

On 2016-04-07 at 0:24 PM, Monty said:

I'm probably one of the few Jets/Canucks fans that don't want either team to win a top 3 lottery pick. Pick a defenseman. Recipe for success.

Canucks I can see, but the Jets? They're pretty loaded on D. Just signed Buffugly to that massive contract, got Myers locked up for another...4? years, Trouba is a stud, had a bit of a down year but he's still so young. Plus you guys got Morrissey coming up in the next year or two.

Losing Ladd hurt the Jets upfront. Obviously if they get the 1st ovr they grab Matthews and it's bye bye Little, or top 3 one of the Finns, if they draft outside the top three, I think they might best be served at grabbing Tkachuck if the opportunity arises.

Random aside Monty, you being a Jets fan. What are your thoughts on Brenden Lemiuex? Think he'll be an effective top 9 in NHL someday, or is he just gonna goon it up on the 4th line for most of his career?

40 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

Canucks I can see, but the Jets? They're pretty loaded on D. Just signed Buffugly to that massive contract, got Myers locked up for another...4? years, Trouba is a stud, had a bit of a down year but he's still so young. Plus you guys got Morrissey coming up in the next year or two.

Losing Ladd hurt the Jets upfront. Obviously if they get the 1st ovr they grab Matthews and it's bye bye Little, or top 3 one of the Finns, if they draft outside the top three, I think they might best be served at grabbing Tkachuck if the opportunity arises.

Random aside Monty, you being a Jets fan. What are your thoughts on Brenden Lemiuex? Think he'll be an effective top 9 in NHL someday, or is he just gonna goon it up on the 4th line for most of his career?

I see/hope the Jets draft a defenseman because, unlike other teams, they need far more help on the left hand side than the right. Enstrom is not in their plans long term, and Morrissey is still an unknown. Drafting Chychrun, Juolevi, or Sergachev and bringing them in alongside Buff, Myers, or Trouba/Hamonic is great planning for their future. Never a bad thing having too many defenseman (see: Preds).

As for Lemieux, too early to tell at this point. He had a great camp last year and he's learning how to play on the edge this year, rather than constantly crossing over the line. Would be great if he panned out for them. But if not, they have Kyle Connor, Joel Armia, Jack Roslovic, Michael Spacek, Marko "Book 'Em" Dano, whoever they draft with the Hawks pick this year, etc. Jeez, the luxury of terrific asset management and developing your talent.

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

I see/hope the Jets draft a defenseman because, unlike other teams, they need far more help on the left hand side than the right. Enstrom is not in their plans long term, and Morrissey is still an unknown. Drafting Chychrun, Juolevi, or Sergachev and bringing them in alongside Buff, Myers, or Trouba/Hamonic is great planning for their future. Never a bad thing having too many defenseman (see: Preds).

As for Lemieux, too early to tell at this point. He had a great camp last year and he's learning how to play on the edge this year, rather than constantly crossing over the line. Would be great if he panned out for them. But if not, they have Kyle Connor, Joel Armia, Jack Roslovic, Michael Spacek, Marko "Book 'Em" Dano, whoever they draft with the Hawks pick this year, etc. Jeez, the luxury of terrific asset management and developing your talent.

Yeah, you guys have come up gangbusters last two trades you've made around deadline.

Traded:

Ladd + Kane + Bogosian for

Myers + Armia + Lemiuex + Stafford + Dano + 2 1st round picks + a conditional 2018 3rd round pick

That's just good asset management! And the only good piece you really gave up was Ladd. Kane is a cancer and overrated, Bogosian is solid, but nothing to write home about.

I do see your point about it never being a bad thing having too many defensemen. Worst case scenario is you trade one of your D for a position you're lacking in. Teams will always jump at the chance to get a highly talented young D.

Having that 1-2 punch of Matthews/Scheifele though would be awesome, you'd be set at center for the next decade. I think Jesse P (No not Pinkman!) would also be amazing. If Matthews is everything as people prescribe him to be, on the level of Eichel or maybe even a shade better, Jesse P has to potential to just be a few shades beneath that level.

My personal wish list for the Canucks would be as follows

1: Matthews  2: Jesse P  3: Chychrun/Juolevi or Sergachev  4: Tkachuck

Really hope we can trade down to 6th-7th overall to nab this guy and score a prospect out of the trade too. 3rd overall is a nifty pick to have but Laine isn't going to help out this team as much as Chychrun would. We've got Boeser, an improving Virtanen and Baertschi and a few other tertiary wingers who can help us up front. On defence we have Hutton and Tryamkin - that's it. Who knows if Subban will make the jump to the NHL so far, our defence is a joke.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Really hope we can trade down to 6th-7th overall to nab this guy and score a prospect out of the trade too. 3rd overall is a nifty pick to have but Laine isn't going to help out this team as much as Chychrun would. We've got Boeser, an improving Virtanen and Baertschi and a few other tertiary wingers who can help us up front. On defence we have Hutton and Tryamkin - that's it. Who knows if Subban will make the jump to the NHL so far, our defence is a joke.

laine >>>>> baertschi/virtanen

Just now, Gooseberries said:

May I ask why?

1. Superiority Complex

2. KHL

3. Generally lazier hockey players, aka lack 2 way ability, Minus Datsyuk.

In general players like Nail Yakupov scare me away from them. He doesn't play to his ability doesn't like Edmonton and requests a trade. Shut up and play hockey, it bugs me.

If we end up selecting fourth and pick Chychrun I won't be at all disappointed we didn't win the lottery. Chychrun has insane physical ability along with work ethic.

As a rookie:

"

On the first day of fitness testing, Chychrun demolished the competition during a medicine ball tossing event.

“His score was, I want to say, 25% further than any other player,” Sting coach Trevor Letowski said Wednesday, almost in disbelief months later, “including the 19, 20-year-olds.

"
On top of his physical strength, speed, and stamina, he also maintained a 4.0 GPA in his highschool. I know this doesn't mean much, but it looks like he has a very serious head on his shoulders (I doubt Kassian was a straight "A" student). Also heard good things about his maturity and leadership. 

He went from surefire #2 down to 6, 7, even 9 on some lists. He still finished fourth in OHL defenseman scoring and played huge minutes, which is awesome for a draft year dman. 

It seems like getting cut from the World Juniors hurt his chances, and wasn't it because of age? If Chychrun elected to play for team USA, chances are he would have had a strong showing and would probably be in the same echelon as the Finns in the draft discussions. 

I personally see the draft as Matthews - > Laine / Puj / Chychurn -> Tkachuk / Dubois / Juolevi / Sergachev / Nylander

Matthews is set number one, the Finns/Chych being interchangeable, and the next group of forwards/dmen being interchangeable. 

IF we end up picking 5th and Chychrun goes fourth, I think that is the hardest pick to make. 

Tkachuk is probably the BPA, BUT is there enough of a difference between him and the two defenseman to not draft by position?

Archived