The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We need to build this team up from a 2 way shut down stand point.

Horvat and Gaunce were drafted with that in mind, and it's going to be the mindset of picking Ritchie going forward. Ehlers, Nylander, and Kapanen do not fit into what we're doing at all.

Jordan Schroeder was immediately benched because he was so easily pushed off the puck in the west. Ehlers, and Nylander do not fit into the western conference on an already small team with the Sedins and Burrows.

Ritchie.

Booth Kesler Kassian

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Ritchie Horvat Matthias

Higgins Santorelli Burrows

Richardson Gaunce Fox

Yea we are crying for offence because we didnt make the playoffs, but dont forget the cries after three consecutive playoffs series losses, the CRY WAS LOUD AND CLEAR WE needed PWF and tougher grittier offensive talents. god this board has been distracting today must sign off!! LMAO damn draft talk

Last year it was obvious were needed offense, this year it is even more obvious we need offense, we turned to a size game instead of puck possession and offense and look where it go us, from game 7 of the SCF to 2 1st round exits & missing the playoffs.

You need offense to win in this league, and we lack that.

What?

Kassian has been our best player and Gaunce/Horvat havn't played a game in the NHL

Iam not sure what you mean, where have we picked size over skill, maybe the grabner trade with Booth coming in.

Kassian, Booth, Gaunce, Horvat, Mallet.

We let guys go who were big pieces of the 2011 team (Sammuelsson/Ehrhoff) and didn't replace them, and over time with the Hodgson trade, letting Sami go, these things have caught up with us.

Not saying I didn't like all the moves, but we clearly need offense, this is the 2nd straight year our offense has been a disaster.

Horvat and Gaunce were drafted with that in mind, and it's going to be the mindset of picking Ritchie going forward. Ehlers, Nylander, and Kapanen do not fit into what we're doing at all.

Jordan Schroeder was immediately benched because he was so easily pushed off the puck in the west. Ehlers, and Nylander do not fit into the western conference on an already small team with the Sedins and Burrows.

Ritchie.

Pretty hard to judge a guy who missed a huge chunk of a season. He instantly made the second powerplay unit more dangerous. He deserves another season. He wasn't that easily pushed off. Did you see how he set up Zalewski on the wrap around chance? Fended off a big D-man to kick puck to Zalewski.

Well here's a few:

Eric Cornel makes alot of sense if we draft Richie as they are teammates and even without drafting Ritchie, Cornel is still a reliable two-way forward who has a good balance of scoring goals and setting up players. Watched him quite a bit too. 6'2 185 pounds

Cornel is a big rangy centre who skates well with strong balance, a powerful stride and good overall mobility. He is not afraid to use his size to push his way into scoring areas as well as protect the puck. The two-way playmaking centre has strong hands and a rocket shot.

Eliteprospects.

Some players that we know who might fall are

Fabbri

Karlsson

Kevin Fiala is someone I'm hoping we can get since the beginning of the year, he also has more points than the popular William Nylander playing in the same league, this says it all:

Kevin Fiala is an offensive forward with game-breaking potential. He is a respectable and shifty skater with quick legs and explosive acceleration. Fiala owns a slick skill-set with soft hands, good stickhandling and brilliant puck-control. Not known for his defensive play, as he still needs to learn what it means to stick to a game-plan or doing exactly what the coach has told him. Fiala is not very big or strong yet, but his quickness and agility lets him avoid getting hit or held back along the boards. Has a wealthy arsenal of shooting tools which, combined with his creativity and finishing abilities, makes him the player you turn to if you need a goal.

Eliteprospects.com

Jack Glover is a kid we could use:

Glover is an impressive two-way defenseman who has good overall mobility. He's always aware in all three zones and defends with a physical edge, using his frame to separate pucks and size to clear the crease. He moves the puck well and has a good outlet pass

Warren Foegele is another guy I would look at, he doesn't play in the CHL but lights up college. 6'1 183 pounds center, there is a chance he might be available in the 3rd round.

There is a good chance we could find someone who was projected to be drafted around 25-30 in the 2nd round for us.

Look at the USHL for some players, Euros.

Look for Lucas Wallmark to drop.

Wallmark has first-class hockey sense and vision. Very smart player and a highly skilled playmaker. Has good puck control and will also battle hard for the puck. Good defensive game and face-off skills. Major concern is his skating ability, as he lacks speed and acceleration.

A Czech skilled player, Ondrej Kase is also very high skilled. I want to look at these skilled players because you can't teach hockey IQ, vision and hands, defense can be taught.

Kase is a slick, driven, speedy winger who sees the ice well and understands how to impact the game. A natural playmaker who handles the puck well in tight spaces. Has very acute hockey sense and willingness to go to battle with much larger opponents. Size is only ongoing issue.

6'0 165 pounds.

I was also looking into kase, i would be interested for the 66th pick if hes available

This guy knows his stuff. Exactly what I have been trying to say.

I totally agree with you guys, Ritchie has lower upside, 20+ goals 40+ point guy, I don't see him as a first line PWF though like Lucic or whoever you want to bring up.

He won't drive offense for a team, whereas some other guys available could potentially do that and those are the guys I lean too

Ritchie.

So you want to become Nashville.

Last year it was obvious were needed offense, this year it is even more obvious we need offense, we turned to a size game instead of puck possession and offense and look where it go us, from game 7 of the SCF to 2 1st round exits & missing the playoffs.

You need offense to win in this league, and we lack that.

Kassian, Booth, Gaunce, Horvat, Mallet.

We let guys go who were big pieces of the 2011 team (Sammuelsson/Ehrhoff) and didn't replace them, and over time with the Hodgson trade, letting Sami go, these things have caught up with us.

Not saying I didn't like all the moves, but we clearly need offense, this is the 2nd straight year our offense has been a disaster.

But Kassian has been our besstp layer looking closer and closer to a Bert Lucic. and Horvat and Gaunce havn't even played what if they''re both solid 60 point players.

I agree we should have given Sammuellson all the time he needed to recover. and instead of Sturm should have found an AHL stud.

But size is the key to success in the west and LA has proven that. Chicago may be the exception but Ehlers/Nylander/Kapanen do not even begin to resmble Kane or Hossa.

Ritchie is even better than Kassian with better hockey IQ already.

Ritchie.

Booth Kesler Kassian

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Ritchie Horvat Matthias

Higgins Santorelli Burrows

Richardson Gaunce Fox

Kapenen has no problem with defence and getting into the dirty areas, he is not pu$$y nylander...

So you want to become Nashville.

No I want to become a SJ / LA / BOS hybrid

You clearly havn't watched Ritchie, he has more potential than Kassian to become a Lucic, probably by a huge margin as well. a 20 goal scorer... yea ok

Go ahead convince yourself Nylander is the next Nyquist.

Look guys think about it this way. How often do the Canucks have a chance to draft a game breaking offensive player like Ehlers? We clearly lack that and we have enough of the size plus skill players already. We need points that toughness. If both Ehlers and Ritchie develop to their full potential isn't it fair to say Ehlers will score more points? We need that while Im sure Ritchie is a much safer pick but we need to take that gamble. You need a mix of size AND skill to work. If you had 3 Milan Lucic on one line Im pretty sure they won't score much as Lucic depends on a skilled player like Krejci.

Look guys think about it this way. How often do the Canucks have a chance to draft a game breaking offensive player like Ehlers? We clearly lack that and we have enough of the size plus skill players already. We need points that toughness. If both Ehlers and Ritchie develop to their full potential isn't it fair to say Ehlers will score more points? We need that while Im sure Ritchie is a much safer pick but we need to take that gamble. You need a mix of size AND skill to work. If you had 3 Milan Lucic on one line Im pretty sure they won't score much as Lucic depends on a skilled player like Krejci.

How many times in our franchise history have we had a true powerforward? 4? 5?

Points aren't everything.

Ritchie is both.

Much easier to acquire in trade or FA than a powerforward.

we have enough of the size plus skill players already

That's an outright lie.

Sedins/Burrows/Kesler are all small while the California teams have complete size among their top 6 all above 200lbs.

This argument is humorous to me, EU people needs to go drink some Maple Syrup and get on the Ritchie wagon.

Cam Neely looks more like Ritchie than Nylander. He did alright. It's a no-brainer, there is NO way in the world Linden is going to pick Nylander or Kapanen. As sure as death and taxes.

Why not kapenen? Hes not nylander? He doesnt even play in the same league...

But Kassian has been our besstp layer looking closer and closer to a Bert Lucic. and Horvat and Gaunce havn't even played what if they''re both solid 60 point players.

I agree we should have given Sammuellson all the time he needed to recover. and instead of Sturm should have found an AHL stud.

But size is the key to success in the west and LA has proven that. Chicago may be the exception but Ehlers/Nylander/Kapanen do not even begin to resmble Kane or Hossa.

Ritchie is even better than Kassian with better hockey IQ already.

I don't agree. Ehlers does resemble Kane in some sense with the skating and similar size, Kapanen resembles Sharp IMO (these guys will all grow still) Nylander resembles someone like Giroux, though he's still not at the top of my list.

And I also disagree with Ritchie/Kassian, I think hockey IQ is one of Kassian's strengths, and honestly I don't Ritchie's upside as any higher than Kassians.

Kassian being one of our best players in a 3rd line role for the last month or so is whats wrong with this team, not say that him being great is the problem as I think he has it in him to consistently be one of our better players, but when your top guys aren't scoring and no one is scoring, thats where the problem is.

How many times in our franchise history have we had a true powerforward? 4? 5?

Points aren't everything.

Ritchie is both.

Much easier to acquire in trade or FA than a powerforward.

This team clearly struggles to put up points, we had 3 players over 40 points, and only one of them at 50.

Points aren't everything to alot of teams that already have offense, but we don't. And need it badly.

Can't accept the Ehlers Kane comparison.

Kane had 50 more points in less games.

Ehlers will be eaten alive in the Pacific Division.

If we were picking 10th and Ritchie/Perlini were gone yea I would probably look at Nylander over Virtanen, but as it stands Ritchie is hands down the superior player

And is a one of a kind skill set with even better IQ than what you've praised Kassian for having.

Ritchie is superior than Kassian

I don't agree. Ehlers does resemble Kane in some sense with the skating and similar size, Kapanen resembles Sharp IMO (these guys will all grow still) Nylander resembles someone like Giroux, though he's still not at the top of my list.

And I also disagree with Ritchie/Kassian, I think hockey IQ is one of Kassian's strengths, and honestly I don't Ritchie's upside as any higher than Kassians.

Kassian being one of our best players in a 3rd line role for the last month or so is whats wrong with this team, not say that him being great is the problem as I think he has it in him to consistently be one of our better players, but when your top guys aren't scoring and no one is scoring, thats where the problem is.

This team clearly struggles to put up points, we had 3 players over 40 points, and only one of them at 50.

Points aren't everything to alot of teams that already have offense, but we don't. And need it badly.

The point is that offence is created in many different ways. Ritchie isn't a passenger. I'm sure you won't think that because you've become convinced he is a complimentary player as opposed to a player than can create offence themselves. i believe he is the latter,\.

I believe this year was an aberration. We were victims of a different (IMHO bad) coach, no PP, and injuries. Those can be overcome for next year.

Big forwards that could still carve out a career in the NHL if their offensive skills don't translate. They can check, fight, provide grit, etc. Did u honestly just ask me that?

No I asked you when you were picking me up from the moon...

Anyways..

Still he is a high risk high reward pick. You act like they're both a guaranteed safe pick. There is no guran-damn-tee that they can translate that of what you have said to the NHL.

Ritchie can turn into Lucic and become a hell of a player or turn into the next Testito who also put up good numbers in junior but couldn't translate it into the NHL.

Vertanen could be the next Perry or he could be the next Booth or maybe even worse.

Point is why in the blue hell should I trust your word that they are both safe picks when you don't put up much of an argument for me to agree with.

At 6th overall we should be getting a solid player, anything below that is considered a bust.

Archived