The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jesse Winchester (Moneyball)

Who?

He has never hit double digit goal totals, or the 20 point mark. He is 30 years old and pending UFA making $600k. He isn't exactly big at 6'1, 206lbs. Physical? Not really. Decent penalty killer etc but nothing special.

So why?

Second highest corsi on the Panthers at 7.23 with 40% offensive zone starts. He is also the 21st most productive point producer in the NHL among names like Zetterberg, P Kane, Hossa, Thornton, Duchene, Tavares.

He has 15 points in 36 games playing just 12:36 minutes per game.

While I will admit he is no Matt Moulson, Thomas Vanek or Marian Gaborik, he is a cheap upcoming UFA on a non-playoff team. We could probably pick him up for a 5th round pick.

The Canucks are still very much in the playoff race and dropping into the bottom five of the league would be very hard to do at this point. With no real UFA assets to give up the Canucks can't go into selling mode. While it makes little to no sense to spend a lot on rental players a few small moves like this could make the difference.

We need a top 6 (goal scoring) forward.

We have an abundance of bottom 6 types (see Kesler's wingmen).

Obviously, but top 6 forwards don't grow on trees.

This team will have a difficult time getting a top 6 forward. Either Edler has to waive his NTC or we trade young assets and draft picks.

Winchester, while the 21st most productive point producer, is also the 11th most productive goal scorer ahead of Patrick Sharp and Jamie Benn.

Is Winchester the answer? Probably not. But if we can get him for next to nothing he is worth rolling the dice on (much like Santorelli). Last thing I want to see if another Derek Roy type deal, giving up Corrado and a 2nd round pick for some fringe 1st line UFA.

I'd do it, why not?... if the Canucks are going for a playoff push, these character guys can really step up their game if given the chance to succeed.

He's obviously not the answer to all the Canuck's offensive woes but really if it was for a 5th rounder, I'd say do it. But obviously if we hope to make a splash in the playoffs more than this trade would be needed.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I think he's saying that we don't want to throw away Corrado the same way we did with Connauton

Well if Corrado and a 2nd can get us a legit 1st/2nd line sniper that will stay I'm all for it.

Well if Corrado and a 2nd can get us a legit 1st/2nd line sniper that will stay I'm all for it.

I would flip if we traded Corrado and a 2nd for Olli Jokinen or Mikhail Grabovski (Roy equivalents).

The price would be Corrado, Hansen and a 1st for a Vanek or Moulson.

Winchester is putting up first line productivity and would cost next to nothing to acquire. Gotta love those corsi numbers with 40% zone starts as well.

This team isn't good enough to justify adding a big piece. However, a couple small pieces could get us into the playoffs and from there anything can happen. Does anyone else remember the disaster that was the 05-06 deadline?

The only reason we give up a 2nd round pick, top prospect, or better is for a player in our long term plans.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I would flip if we traded Corrado and a 2nd for Olli Jokinen or Mikhail Grabovski (Roy equivalents).

I didn't say I'd trade them for a Roy equivalent.

Hmmm I like it. Especially if we could land him for a 5th.

I don't get this abundance of 3rd and 4th lliners. The guy makes 600 only that's a great moneyball move. If anything the bottom 6 will play harder and fight for spots.

Yup, I'd do it for a low draft pick and/or Pelletier (or someone like that). Don't want to risk taking up a contract spot. Getting a top 6 winger seems very unlikely (here's hoping I'm wrong) and a depth move like this could go a long way, especially if we're as fragile as we are right now.

Archived