The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opinions on Mike Gillis

Bren Mo

Some questions now if Gillis can even make a trade involving Kesler. Several outlets reporting he does not have the authority:

@DimFilipovic: Updated the Trade Deadline Blog with a song about Roberto Luongo, and some speculation on Mike Gillis' authority: http://t.co/y5VFw9qNFr

@theScore: The Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly unsure if Mike Gillis has permission to move Ryan Kesler. http://t.co/4LFTpDjKPO

He has messed up bad. Soon he needs to be replaced. No matter what anyone says this team should have started rebuilding right after the Cup Final a couple of yrs back. That was pretty well the teams last Hurah and Gillis did nothing except make things worse. He has made the Canucks a joke across the league.

This is how a player's agent became a GM of an organization. Actually, I don't think MG is capable to do this job, please just fired him when the season is over. We need change, he insists not to. Nothing big have done so far.

Have you been under a rock? :blink:

....interesting turn of events. Its very possible that management told Gillis to trade Roberto to Florida and do it now. The lack of trades or any action today by Gillis could aslo very possibly be becasue the owners told him not to make any deals today as they have lost confidence in him , the list of bad moves far overweigh any real positive moves he's made for the team , and they want a new GM to make the trades needed this summer. I would be very surprised to see Mike Gillis continue as GM after the canucks play their last game this year considering the team has gone from a cup contender to what they are now. I would bet that Torts could be done as well though that would be up to the new GM. With the mess thats been allowed to develop under his tenure anything can happen now. Ya never know !

Last summer MG wanted the moon for Luongo. Now he trades him for magic beans because he "had to".

I love how no matter what Gillis asks/gets for Luongo, it was exactly what Gillis should have done.

If we were going to trade Lu for nothing (compared to Kadri, Gardner +1st), why trade Schneider at all?

He could have dumped the contract (as it appears he has tried to do) and kept the cornerstone of a proper rebuild.

And to those saying he got value for Lu: Why did he have to eat 15% of his contract? If Lu was soooooo bloody valuable, why keep 15% of his salary?

Answer - He did not get value for Lu.

Gillis has tricked me on a couple of occasions into thinking he isn't a piss poor GM. I was wrong.

Last summer MG wanted the moon for Luongo. Now he trades him for magic beans because he "had to".

I love how no matter what Gillis asks/gets for Luongo, it was exactly what Gillis should have done.

If we were going to trade Lu for nothing (compared to Kadri, Gardner +1st), why trade Schneider at all?

He could have dumped the contract (as it appears he has tried to do) and kept the cornerstone of a proper rebuild.

And to those saying he got value for Lu: Why did he have to eat 15% of his contract? If Lu was soooooo bloody valuable, why keep 15% of his salary?

Answer - He did not get value for Lu.

Gillis has tricked me on a couple of occasions into thinking he isn't a piss poor GM. I was wrong.

Im pretty sure his days here are done.

I would guess that Luongo situation and resulting trade was almost certainly not approved by ownership the way things went down today.

That would be 3 trades Gillis has been forced to make from a disadvantage, which is 2 more then most GMs are allowed.

He has set the bar so low Im not sure its going to be all that difficult for a successor with the proper credentials to improve the situation here.

Gillis is not an adequate GM but he isn't the real problem here.

According to Team 1040 meddlesome ownership is at play here too. They apparently refused to sign off on any Kesler trade because they want to make the playoffs. I have said before and will say it again, the dysfunctional nature of the Vancouver Canucks begins with ownership. The Aqulini's had a heavy hand in the offseason trade of Schneider instead of Luongo and now they have reportedly nixed a Kesler trade. Also, the hire of Torts was widely reported as being a ownership hire.

Blame, Gillis all you want but no real GM is going to want to work under Francesco Aqulini who seems to be the Jerry Jones of hockey because he is really wants to be a GM.

By the way, all the legit topics discussing ownership's involvement in the Kesler non trade have been immediately locked on these boards without explanation.

Hey Torts is Italian he's here to stay...aquaman likes thats. Gillis IMO is a highly intelligent and knowledgeable person. I think he has a plan although not made public...why would he, it's like giving other GM's a insight into who Gillis would value the most. I also think Aqualinni imposes himself more than he should ( there's no smoke without fire ) I can't think of a good replacement at this time.

Vcr fans have been spoiled over the last few years since Gillis arrived and some fans don't have the stomach to handle the inevitable down cycle that follows success.

Firing Gillis is not going to turn this around any sooner. The management team he's built here IMO is as good if not better than other management teams else where in the league. Hard to say this at this moment but Vcr future looks fairly bright....fans need some patience. Two Presidents Trophies and a game 7 in the SC is the best run this franchise has ever ever enjoyed. Not a popular comment but that's the way I see it

Gillis needs to be fired, Im sick of him tearing this team apart. Common he just traded our #1 goalie and were now relying on a rookie goalie. Then he makes no moves at the deadline this season, either rebuild or go for the gusto.

FIRE GILLIS!!

Gillis needs to be fired, Im sick of him tearing this team apart. Common he just traded our #1 goalie and were now relying on a rookie goalie. Then he makes no moves at the deadline this season, either rebuild or go for the gusto.

FIRE GILLIS!!

Take a deep breath and walk away .. this is obviously too much for you ..

Archived