The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opinions on Mike Gillis

Bren Mo

The only "Bold" thing I've seen him do in his time here is the 10 million per season offer to Sundin when we had cap space. I can't think of anything really bold that he has done other than that (maybe trying to trading Hodgson for more size) since he has gotten here.

My general opinion so far would be that he doesn't like to take risks unless its handing out money on a contract gamble!

He doesn't have the trading capabilities of Nonis, Burke or Pat Quinn for that matter. I would give all three of those former GM's much better grades for trading ability!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gillis has done a good job as GM. Much better than Nonis and I was no fan of Burke. Quinn was a decent GM. The only reason Nonis was able to get Lu was because he was forced to unload Bertuzzi given the famous "incident". Other than the Lu trade which was a no brainer, I wasn't impressed with any Nonis trades or pickups. Gillis has done much better and he has picked up guys that can actually play unlike Nonis (Santorelli, Stanton, Tanev, Hammer, Garrison, Malhotra, Richardson, etc). As far as the Lu trade, he did good (with Markstrom and Matthias). Lu wasn't going to fetch much with his salary and age. The only thing I regret is the 4 year Sedin contract. I wish it was 3 years as Gillis had bargained for. I'm hoping the Sedins can have a comeback year next year.

I don't understand this flip flopping fan base.

Its a good trade? Last year we couldn't pay a team to take Luongo? Sure you can argue we treated Luongo poorly but didn't Gillis just get him to the place he wanted to go to the most? Either way we got a solid goalie prospect, respected 3rd line center and quite the salary dump. Good redemption by Gillis and good deal, I'm sure we got more than we would have last year.

Excited for what happens tomorrow.

#GMoftheyear

ap-201106221941709196581.jpg

I agree. This was a good trade. Matthias can play and Markstrom has the potential to be a solid NHL goalie. Both are young. We're getting younger and and that's what we have to do.

We have the foolowing players that "appeared"...can't use the word "played" tonight that are AHL players (at best):

Sestito

Booth

Schroeder

Archibald

Dalpe

All put on the Canucks by Mike Gillis

PS the rest of the team has quit on Gillis and Torts

This franchise is a mess

I like how clueless people say "oh goodie we are getting younger". How long have the Oilers been getting younger? If you get rid of everyone with talent and replace them all with juniors you just got younger....is that a gauranteed good thing?

We are getting younger translated is Gillis talk for "I have no clue what I am doing so I will grab some kid that use to have potential and hope they keep me employed at least until people realize the kid turned out to be another flop"

My opinion of Mike Gillis does not matter in the short or long term.

Only thing that matters at the end of the day is a team that wins, a team that can score, an environment created by the coach that brings those beliefs to the players.

Mike Gillis might save his job if he can get a good return for the assets the team currently holds.

Fail at that then Mike Gillis has a 2 year shelf life remaining to him, if he does well the fans can watch him run the team another 5-7 years.

The fans, media, and ownership well only remember his mistakes, like Ballard, Luongo, CS, the small return via trades, free agents that did not add up to much, players who should not been given away.

All of that well determine what Mike Gillis is, the opinions the fans have only matter once the team has empty seats.

When he was hired I said I reserve judgement.

1) Gillis waited until it was too late to take action, and then he utterly fails on the Luongo trade - Mattias and Jacobsen won't add up to one third of what Luongo has been in Vancouver. As if trading Schneider and getting only a ninth overall in return weren't enough, (or trading Grabner and a first rounder for Ballard weren't bad enough, or even trading Hodgson). His patience is really inaction - he waits until he sees the train running the wrong way, and then he changes course only to derail.

2) Only two draft picks of his ever saw NHL action, despite all the high promise. Question on his scouting assessment.

3) He's an utter failure in maintaining relations with key people. Just ask Hodgson and why he wanted out. Luongo ditto. Kesler, I could go on. Not much of a relationship builder with fans, beyond some token community activity like Canucks Place.

4) His strategy for skilled skaters worked out well didn't it?

As I've been saying for the past three years, Gillis has to go, and now I'm being proven right, when you look at the growing number of fans wanting him gone. Fire Gillis, replace him with Stan Smyl.

My opinion of Mike Gillis does not matter in the short or long term.

Only thing that matters at the end of the day is a team that wins, a team that can score, an environment created by the coach that brings those beliefs to the players.

All of that well determine what Mike Gillis is, the opinions the fans have only matter once the team has empty seats.

When he was hired I said I reserve judgement.

That's just it. After this trade, the team will lose. I highly doubt the fans will come back to Rogers the remainder of the season now - I won't. Not until Gillis is gone.

Bo Horvat better turn into a franchise Two Way Forward or else fans are going to have pitchforks wanting Gillis head for a long time.

The Luongo trade was a good return (better than what most expected since last year) the problem with all this is that the team went from having two elite goalies to an unproven rookie now having no choice but to become the starter.

Gillis has been here 6 years, but now is when he really becomes a GM. Until this point, he's resigned his best players to long, lucrative contracts (anyone can do that), and tinkered with the bottom half of the roster. But now he needs to show clear direction in a very substantial way. I have no idea whether he can do it or not. He has a propensity to over-value his players, and that needs to stop. It's fine to put your trust in people, but you also need to admit when they can't do the job to your expectations. Everybody miscalculates and makes mistakes, but in a cap environment, you need to identify mistakes quickly and correct them soon as possible. Gillis needs to show everyone that he will act when something isn't right instead of letting a problem fester.

I don't know if he's long for this job, but if so, Gillis needs to be a little colder in his execution of player movement as it relates to veteran players. A thorough review by him of his drafting staff should also be undertaken this summer as well. We've been hampered in that department.

So many valid points in this thread for and against GMMG.

I wanna crucify him for the way he has handled the team the last few weeks although he has made some descent moves in his time here quite honestly MG has crapped tha bed. No luck finding us a Grade "A" winger to play with the Sedins and or Kesler. The bottom 6 has been a revolving door for years. Our most alarming and longest standing issue the lack of scoring is still a massive question mark ? He's botched 2 unbelievable goalie tandems :sadno:

I have to ask, can we as fans really accept his performance thus far as our GM ? Really ? 2 Franchise goalies were I wouldn't say given away but pretty close. The HC fiasco (that will be up for debate until someone writes an autobiography). Malhotra ! Just In case anyone forgot ? The NTC signing spree ? Other Gm's are tossed for much less. Why must we suffer from such a mediocre performance in that department ?

He has had his chance to show us what he can bring to the table. For whatever reason it seems many teams are not willing to deal with us on a realistic level in returns for our assets. That alone means "Peace out hommes !"

He can complain about the timing of the cap and his BS process until he is blue in the face.

I cannot begin to imagine the immense stress of being a GM in the NHL especially for a Canadian team starving for a cup. I do not envy his current position in the slightest but ....CMON MAN!

I just noticed we're in the nine spot for the draft right now. Didn't realize we were that high up there yet. It looks like we have a legitimate chance to draft as high as sixth if we keep losing for the rest of the season.

I'm half-expecting the Canucks to basically capitulate for the rest of this season. The Canucks could easily slide down to 6 or 7 in the draft order.

I don't understand this flip flopping fan base.

Its a good trade? Last year we couldn't pay a team to take Luongo? Sure you can argue we treated Luongo poorly but didn't Gillis just get him to the place he wanted to go to the most? Either way we got a solid goalie prospect, respected 3rd line center and quite the salary dump. Good redemption by Gillis and good deal, I'm sure we got more than we would have last year.

Excited for what happens tomorrow.

#GMoftheyear

ap-201106221941709196581.jpg

He didnt win that award yesterday.

No offense, but I dont see the point of acting as if he did.

I'm half-expecting the Canucks to basically capitulate for the rest of this season. The Canucks could easily slide down to 6 or 7 in the draft order.

Every non-playoff team has a chance to get first overall now. Finishing in the bottom 6 or 7 doesn't mean we are in that position anymore.

Bo Horvat better turn into a franchise Two Way Forward or else fans are going to have pitchforks wanting Gillis head for a long time.

The Luongo trade was a good return (better than what most expected since last year) the problem with all this is that the team went from having two elite goalies to an unproven rookie now having no choice but to become the starter.

It's not that much of a problem in that the Canucks are not expecting to win that much for the next year or two. Lack and Markstrom (or Lack and whoever) will have the opportunity to grow into the jobs without the acute pressure to win.

Archived