The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LUONGO TRADED to Florida - Official Discussion Thread

-SN-

Well, if Matthias walks and Markstrom turns out to be an AHL goalie I can picture Florida management rolling on the floor laughing everytime the name "Gillis" is mentioned in the coffee room. On second thought Booth might turn it around and score a dozen goals in the remainder of the season...yah right....

Actually, the biggest gain for us is getting cap space we can use for next season.

LU had a NTC so the teams were limited. i'm willing to bet Florida was the only team that was in the running. His ridiculous contract also made him worth very little.

We traded Luongo's contract not Luongo.

We traded 85% of Luongo's contract and still have to worry about that ridiculously stupid cap penalty if he retires. If he retires really early its not that big of a deal but if he retires late into his contract Vancouver gets completely fracked over to the point where I could see the Aquilini's suing the league, and rightfully so.

Mattias is a rental.... He is a UFA.

This trade is Lu for Markstrom... plus we pay 1 million of Lu's salary...

We trade the #2 Canadian Goaltender, one who went to the Olympics, and get a second rate Swede in return.

This is clear proof every GM in the league has a hate on for Gillis and that we will NEVER get any good deals while he is in charge.

I am seriously concerned about what we will get for Kesler.

No he's not. He has another season on top of this one.

We trade the #2 Canadian Goaltender, one who went to the Olympics, and get a second rate Swede in return.

This is clear proof every GM in the league has a hate on for Gillis and that we will NEVER get any good deals while he is in charge.

Cap Geek is your friend...

http://www.capgeek.com/player/833

Matthias IS NOT A RENTAL. I bet both players will play better in Vancouver. Markstrom will certainly inmprove under the tutelage of Rollie.

You pretty much got everything wrong in your post.

Matthias still has another year left on his contract also he's ecstatic to be coming to Vancouver and won't be hard to re-sign.

Price was the Starter all along, Luongo was just there to warm the bench.

Clear hate for Gillis? GM's around the league aren't as stupid as you sound.

Btw, Josh Harding is the #2 Canadian Goaltender.

Finally.

Ehrhoff trade=Great Deal

Never say never.

Bye.

I don't think Horvat will be ready for a full time job until he has mastered the AHL game first. If anything this affords Vancouver the luxury of not rushing Horvat's development.

Horvat is ready to play in the NHL, so is Gaunce. And Matthias also plays LW which he is actually better at anyway.

So you believe that Luo isn't as good a netminder as Kipper, Miller, Thomas, and Lundqvist? I disagree. The only tier of goalie that's better than Luongo is the Brodeur, Hasek, Roy group. That won 13 of them.

Maybe overall he is as good as some of them, but he isn't Vezina caliber until he wins one. Elite, all star, franchise goalie, etc all things that describe Luongo's career. Vezina, no.

Horvat is ready to play in the NHL, so is Gaunce. And Matthias also plays LW which he is actually better at anyway.

Unless Horvat comes out of the gate in training camp and is amazing I'd much rather not rush him and let him at least play one year in the AHL.

I am deeply disappointed in how Vancouver treated Luongo. I don't know much about how other teams treat their players but what we did with Lu was, IMO, handled poorly.

No respect for him at all. Not playing him for the Heritage Classic was the final straw...how can how give him this kind of contract and not stand behind him as the #1? They should have traded him a long time ago. I fear that other players now hate coming here.

Moreover, we now have Santorelli, Matthias and Richardson. to me, they're all 3C...what's the plan there?

We traded 85% of Luongo's contract and still have to worry about that ridiculously stupid cap penalty if he retires. If he retires really early its not that big of a deal but if he retires late into his contract Vancouver gets completely fracked over to the point where I could see the Aquilini's suing the league, and rightfully so.

Not sure if this has been posted, but it shows what we could be up against penalty wise

1743625_10152097080132737_781568528_n.png

:sick:

as for Aquilini's suing the league. They tried to circumvent the cap, thats the penalty they pay.

Gillis is building a great team...a great AHL team, problem is the Canucks are in the NHL

Bottom, line we could have had this same deal ir better last year and kept Schneider

I dare anyone to argue against that

I'll take that dare cause you obviously have no clue...A.D.D.? Too much crack? whatever the reason.... Florida thought that Markstrom would be their goalie of the future, their #1. They were happy with Markstrom at the time, so they weren't inclined to make a deal for Lou... I'm also sure that they saw more potential in Mathias and thought he was worth more at that time, for whatever reason he hasn't produced as they'd hoped this year...Hence, this deal was NOT possible last year!

CDC makes no sense. You all wanted Gillis to inject youth into this team and he just did but you complain anyway. Besides no move can instantly fix us and make us contenders overnight. By the time we injected youth and developed the chemistry between them and the veterans, Luongo would have been older and useless.

You all wanted a rebuild. Well here it is. Wake up, grow up, suck it up and deal with it! Those who grew up with Lu need the "Life's Unfair" lesson. Luongo had 8 years and couldn't deliver. Nothing lasts forever.

I for one am happy with this move. I finally feel optimistic about the Canucks moving forward which I haven't felt since 2011 which is remarkably shorter than I expected. I also believe there are more moves coming to shake up this team so buckle up.

I am also happy. Well said. Sometimes, I get so frustrated with CDC. I'm proud to say I'm a 45 year fan (a lifer Canuck fan). I like this trade. Last year we couldn't get anything for Lu. Lu served the Canucks well for 8 seasons but he wanted to move and he wanted to go back to Florida. This is a good trade for a 34 year old goalie (all be it a high end goalie). We need players that want to be in Vancouver and we need to recharge this group. If the price is right, maybe we can trade Kes or Edler tomorrow and even Burr too if anybody would take him the way things are going for him. The Sedins contract looked good when they signed 3 months ago and everybody was raving about it but now it looks too rich. Unfortunately, we don't have a crystal ball. Who would have known the Sedins would tank this bad and it has been sad to see this unbelievable regression. I'm saying this yet I have really appreciated what Hank and Danny have done for this franchise. Well, the Sedins aren't the only players who haven't played up to their salary at times (i.e. Brad Richards, Scott Gomez, Wade Redden, Kovalchuk, etc. etc.) at some point in their career. Maybe next year for the Sedins.

Archived