The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hire Darcy Regier

I think it's abundantly clear that Gillis is not the man who should be rebuilding this team. That being said, we need someone who can do this successfully. Look at the Sabres' prospect pool. Regier set that up with some great trades (Vanek, Gausted) where he got a lot of value coming back. Then, they drafted well, especially in the later rounds. His main weakness has been offering big money to UFA's but that can be addressed by keeping Gilman on as our assistant.

Look at Buffalo's system. Now look at ours. Wouldn't you like to be able to get that kind of return for our players?

Look at Buffalo's team. Now look at ours. There's no guarantees they turn all those picks into a team that wins games any better than we'll be able to.

Uh no.... Sabres fans were calling for his head for a long time cuz he had no idea what the hell he was doing, much like Gillis right now... I'd much rather hire Jay Feaster if we're going down this route

Jesus. From bad to worse...

Look at Buffalo's team. Now look at ours. There's no guarantees they turn all those picks into a team that wins games any better than we'll be able to.

Look at Edmonton's team. All those great picks and still nothing to show for it.

i would offer Linden some form of management/ higher level position and see if he was at all interested. Not the GM though.

We need to get a few new scouts in my opinion.

I would try to lure Ron Hextall, Felton or a couple of the other assistant GM's. Who is the assistant GM of detroit now, anyone know?

I would hire the next GM outside of the organization, i wouldnt give it to Gilman. Want a fresh face with no ties to our current team to decide where we need to go. Someone with years of hockey experience.

Anyone made a poll and got it stickied about Gillis being Fired at the end of year?

Hey now. Lets not forget how he stole Mark "The Best Player in the Draft" Jankowski at 21st overall.

I think it's abundantly clear that Gillis is not the man who should be rebuilding this team. That being said, we need someone who can do this successfully. Look at the Sabres' prospect pool. Regier set that up with some great trades (Vanek, Gausted) where he got a lot of value coming back. Then, they drafted well, especially in the later rounds. His main weakness has been offering big money to UFA's but that can be addressed by keeping Gilman on as our assistant.

Regier is perhaps one of the worst GM's whose ever had such a long tenure. Any team who hires him is likely to go down the same route as Buffalo and NYI. If anything, we need better scouting staff. Since Gillis has pretty much acted like a kid in a candy shop since he was hired, perhaps tightening the cash bag could inspire him to get a little more creative and take bigger chances.

Archived