The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] March12: Vancouver @ Winnipeg

TheRussianRocket.

Not at all. This season is done...I'm thinking Big Picture.

Next season is already done?

That's what you are saying.

You aren't thinking big picture. You are thinking that the only way out of the slide is to lose. I wouldn't want you in my dressing room or administration.

Do you really think you know history better than I do because you are so concerned about a small percentage change?

Cheering against the team dies make you a visionary. It makes a downer to be around. I prefer to say "Never Say Die" and let the chips fall where they may. If it's a Top 5 pick I'll worry about that in June, not today.

The result on the ice is irrespective of what outcome I cheer for. 'Tankers' are giving their own opinions too much weight.

2-4 spots is pretty pivotal when you are talking about the top of the draft.

I think if this team had a decent shot at the playoffs and/or potentially making some noise in the post season people like De Niro & myself would be fully on board.

But this team is a longshot to make the playoffs (at best) and we are missing 2 of our 3 star forwards.

I think getting a top 5 pick moves us closer to becoming a contender down the line (and adds a young player this organization could really use) rather than barely squeaking into the playoffs then getting swept & ending up with a middle of the pack pick.

I would rather see a cup in 10 years with minimal playoff appearances rather than making the playoffs as a wild card team every year & losing in the first, or maybe 2nd round.

Obviously there's busts.

But the odds are much much higher that you get a superstar in the top 10 than at any other spot.

You were quick to point out that 2003 was one of the deepest drafts ever, as if that refutes the point that Kesler was taken 23rd.

Top 5 in 2003:

Fleury

Staal

Horton

Zherdev

Vanek

Perry 28th

Brian Boyle 26th

Mike Richards 24th

Kesler 23rd

Getzlaf 19th.

It's all relative. Regardless of how deep a draft is, it does not determine where the actual best players in that draft will be taken.

The small percentage you're talking about is still bigger than the chances the Canucks will make the playoffs and then do something in them.

That's not the point and I'm not surprised you miss it.

It doesn't matter whether we make the playoffs.

Cheering against your team doesn't affect reality.

It only makes you a jerk.

Of course they're gonna try, but lets face it the odds are very against them

They're 4 back of Dallas and Dallas has 3 games in hand. The Canucks basically have to go 12 and 2 to make it.

If they had held on to their 3 goal lead or even beaten Dallas in a pivotal game they would have a much better shot. Unfortunately they've just dropped the ball too many times.

I agree with everything you've said bro. My comment is more to the "lets lose" to get a better draft pic comments. Any player with some self-respect wouldn't do that.

You were quick to point out that 2003 was one of the deepest drafts ever, as if that refutes the point that Kesler was taken 23rd.

Top 5 in 2003:

Fleury

Staal

Horton

Zherdev

Vanek

Perry 28th

Brian Boyle 26th

Mike Richards 24th

Kesler 23rd

Getzlaf 19th.

It's all relative. Regardless of how deep a draft is, it does not determine where the actual best players in that draft will be taken.

3 of those top 5 picks have cups, and they're all stars. That's 100% odds.

You've picked out 5 random picks from later in the draft, proving that the odds are much lower. Anywhere from 20-30th is much more of a crap shoot.

Its not cheering against your team, I don't come into games hoping for a loss, but I come into games expecting a loss at this point cause I don't have confidence in this team the way they are currently playing with the injuries.

I look at it more as cheering for a brighter future. If that means losing some nothing games in a season where we are played our way into a non playoff position then I'm fine with it.

I agree with everything you've said bro. My comment is more to the "lets lose" to get a better draft pic comments. Any player with some self-respect wouldn't do that.

No, I don't think the players should have that.

Truth be told, I still think this group we have has it in them to be a playoff team, not the entire team how it is currently constructed piece for piece, but with a few changes I think this team could be a good team again, add some young players to add that spark, along with better seasons from guys like Burr & the Twins. (And hopefully a healthier season) and I could see us as a playoff team.

Perhaps we add a player like Draisaitl who may be ready for the NHL next year, possibly Horvat or Shinkaruk stick, along with making a few changes & I think we can be a playoff team.

Then you're passion for winning is blinding you to the bigger picture.

You may want this team to win one game, but I want them to win the cup. That's the difference.

If you can sit there and honestly tell me that this team has the makings of a cup winner, I'd call you a liar. And if there's no cup in the cards for the team this yea, then I want us to improve our future chances at one, even if it is a small improvement to them, like a slightly better pick.

I'm not blinded by anything. I am aware that the Canucks have a less than 5% chance of making the playoffs. To me that is irrespective of the correct course of action.

I want them to compete every game because that us he contract they gave with their paying customers.

If the room went out with the intention to lose because they thought like you, ever, I would stop being a fan.

Fortunately, I don't believe they see the world in negatives. Wars are lost because of this mentality. This is a question of character, in my mind.

Next season is already done?

That's what you are saying.

You aren't thinking big picture. You are thinking that the only way out of the slide is to lose. I wouldn't want you in my dressing room or administration.

I was being snarky in the 2 better than 1 comment.

But honestly, the team needs an influx in young talent much more than they need some meaningless points at the end of this season. I'll take the best odds I can of securing a significant piece of that talent. And regardless, I cannot forsee any big turnaround with this current roster next season. It's shaping up to be another go-nowhere year, sorry to say.

I never cheer against my team. I'm very happy that they won tonight. It's not like I sit here and hope the other team scores on us.

But at the same time, I'm looking at the positive side if we do lose. A high draft pick is a great way for this team to retool quickly.

You don't think adding a player like Galchenyuk to our roster would help? It sure seems to have helped Montreal bounce back.

I never cheer against my team. I'm very happy that they won tonight. It's not like I sit here and hope the other team scores on us.

But at the same time, I'm looking at the positive side if we do lose. A high draft pick is a great way for this team to retool quickly.

You don't think adding a player like Galchenyuk to our roster would help? It sure seems to have helped Montreal bounce back.

And I'll pick that point to end on - where there's pretty much consensus here.

I was being snarky in the 2 better than 1 comment.

But honestly, the team needs an influx in young talent much more than they need some meaningless points at the end of this season. I'll take the best odds I can of securing a significant piece of that talent. And regardless, I cannot forsee any big turnaround with this current roster next season. It's shaping up to be another go-nowhere year, sorry to say.

That talent can come from different sources. It most certainly won't come from the difference in picking 5th or 8th. Not next year, not likely.

As such.... regardless of who we draft, I will cheer for this team to win next year.

Your ability to write off next season on Mar 12th is appalling to me.

I'm not blinded by anything. I am aware that the Canucks have a less than 5% chance of making the playoffs. To me that is irrespective of the correct course of action.

I want them to compete every game because that us he contract they gave with their paying customers.

If the room went out with the intention to lose because they thought like you, ever, I would stop being a fan.

Fortunately, I don't believe they see the world in negatives. Wars are lost because of this mentality. This is a question of character, in my mind.

I want them to compete too, but the points they get along the way don't help the cause in the Big Picture.

The players playing hard has nothing to do with me or what I want for my team. Two completely different things.

They've played hard most of the season, but it's not translating to wins. Mostly because they have too many holes in the roster that need to be filled. Getting a good pick is a good way to start filling those holes.

And it doesn't matter what you or I believe. Results are all that matters.

Considering that's the definition of a Tanker why are you defending it and associating yourself with that line of thinking?

Considering that's the definition of a Tanker why are you defending it and associating yourself with that line of thinking?

The team is already tanking regardless of what I do. I'm not one of those fans that thinks they can control what a team does based on their mindset.

I'm associating myself with it because I believe it's the most rational way of thinking based on where the team is currently at.

I've cheered for this team to make the playoffs before despite all odds, only to see us get average pick after average pick. Meanwhile other teams who weren't much worse than us continued to get better because they drafted high and built a contender.

That talent can come from different sources. It most certainly won't come from the difference in picking 5th or 8th. Not next year, not likely.

As such.... regardless of who we draft, I will cheer for this team to win next year.

Your ability to write off next season on Mar 12th is appalling to me.

Be appalled then. Finish 18th every year. See where that gets you.

As for your cheering for the team, go ahead, nobody's stopping you. Put on all your Canucks jerseys, drink Coke from your Canuck mug, high-five your cat all night long...it's all good. Knock yourself out.

But I want this team to turn things around as soon as possible so they can challenge for a Cup again. A top-5 pick is most likely to help that along quicker than hoping this stale collection of players can reinvent themselves.

Archived