The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks not out yet

Canuckseeesh

We can count how many times we've beat a playoff team this season on one hand. (Outside of St. Louis, who we seem to own.)

We required a shootout to beat Florida and Winnipeg. Nashville cannot score and they're in full tank mode like we should be.

We're behind in tie-breakers vs. Phoenix and Dallas.

Phoenix has 3 games in hand.

Dallas has 4 games in hand.

We'll likely win 3 out of the remaining 10 games in the season.

Burrows likely has a broken hand.

Sedin's out.

Tanev's out.

Kesler's out.

We're locked into the Moons gravitational pull, what do we do?!?

We-Die-Last-Starfighter.gif

Hey...believe all you want...but to call the people who are looking at this from a VERY realistic standpoint "morons" is ridiculous. The percentages don't lie, no matter how much fanboys like you "believe"...realistically only a MORON would put his hopes on something that has less than a 5% chance of happening, but looking at your nickname and avatar it all makes sense...

Lmao. Ok. Do the math. 19% chance of getting in the playoffs..if we go 9-2 in the final 11. We won lastnight. Fairweather fans can beat it imo. How is having a chance at getting in a bad thing? Daniel, kesler and tanev will all be ready to go in a few weeks, if we do get in they will be fresh! You "fans"(sarcasm) writing the season off.."tank for picks" wtf??? Go cheer for the flames or an eastern team. Your all "pros" with your guessing and estimating as to what can happen?? I think not. My belief over some of the most moronic responses to losses as well as wins will always prevail. Good luck on the nux "tanking". My "pro" guess is that we will win at least 7 in regulation. Im also estimating a10 pt finish to the season for dallas and phoenix, both of them struggling as we surge on. We will get in!

Lets all try to gather some perspective.

This team won the Presidents trophy ..........and won a single playoff game. 1-0 . To add insult to injury, we draft 26th.

We then win our division............and proceed to get blown off the playoff map. To add insult to injury, we have to draft 24th.

Trying to gather heroics .............all to get blown out of the playoffs in 4 straight, will only serve to net us a lousy draft pick yet again.

Lets not. We need to rebuild.

Again like when though?

The latest picks the team had in the last decade....

2004 - 26th Cory Schneider

2011 - 29th Nicklas Jensen

2012 - 26th Brendan Gaunce

2013 that 'insult to injury' pick was Shinkaruk.

Moving up a few spots in this years draft does not make or break a retool imo.

Lmao. Ok. Do the math. 19% chance of getting in the playoffs..if we go 9-2 in the final 11. We won lastnight. Fairweather fans can beat it imo. How is having a chance at getting in a bad thing? Daniel, kesler and tanev will all be ready to go in a few weeks, if we do get in they will be fresh! You "fans"(sarcasm) writing the season off.."tank for picks" wtf??? Go cheer for the flames or an eastern team. Your all "pros" with your guessing and estimating as to what can happen?? I think not. My belief over some of the most moronic responses to losses as well as wins will always prevail. Good luck on the nux "tanking". My "pro" guess is that we will win at least 7 in regulation. Im also estimating a10 pt finish to the season for dallas and phoenix, both of them struggling as we surge on. We will get in!

Well you're definitely living up to the "moron" classification...the %5 I gave is RIGHT NOW...TODAY...not IF the Canucks win 9 of their last 10...its not just some # I made up...I never said anything about tanking or anything like that, that's all in your warped, fanboy mind...you can cheer the last 10 games all you want...but like I said before ACTUAL percentages don't lie, when you add a HUGE IF then the percentages can make little boys like you cheer until the Canucks are mathematically eliminated...your sad little brain just hasn't processed it yet...sometime around the Ranger game on April Fools Day will be when a total fool like you can finally put your playoff fantasy to bed...

If we make it we go in on a winning streak, we would actually have confidence, Jensen is on a row and Burrow and Hank are finally starting to gel the way they should be.

Kesler and Tanev would be coming back from injury. Please someone tell me why they think that if we make the playoffs,on a winning streak with out best players playing the way they should, we would LOSE?

I rather we tried and made a push for the playoffs then we lost on purpose. screw tanking.

GO Canucks Go

What is happening to the Canucks now is what happened to the Leafs a number of times in the 9 year playoff absence. Team would be out of it but put on a valiant run with a young goaltender and lots of AHL players only to miss out on the last weekend of the season. Team drafts 11-14 and doesn't get the impact player that is needed.

The other factor is that they really aren't on much of a roll yet. Just playing a more entertaining brand of hockey. It's good to see young players perform well and I think players naturally relax when the pressure is off. I think there has been a general sense that this team won't make the playoffs so now they are just playing again. It's pretty common. Once they stop gripping the sticks everything gets easier.

First of all, So your saying players picked 8-10 are going to be that much more of an impact compared to the players picked 11-14. Difference between the players picked at 8-10 to 11-14 is a lot smaller than you think. A good WJ touney or a bad playoff game.

Second of all your theory about TO is completely false, TO's last 9 (actually only 7 + one lock out year) years of playoffless drafting they pick "once" in that 11-14th range. In 2006 when they picked jiri Tlusty which was not bad considering Sheppard, Frolik, and Brassard were picked in the 8-10.

2006 13th overall

2007 traded away

2008 5th overall

2009 7th overall

2010 traded away

2011 traded away

2012 5th overall

Sometimes things sound right in your head but it's always best to go back and do your reseach before you throw out statements and proclaim them as facts.

Who's enjoyed our last 2 playoff showings? 3 if you include the 2011 Final.

So if by some miracle we squeeze into the playoffs next month and then what happens? This team isn't as good as last year, it's noticeably worse than the year before that, it's not the team that played in the Final, and there would be no home ice advantage this year. What are we all expecting from this group? You cant really expect more than what we've gotten in the last 3 series' we've played.

There is no way this team wins more than 1 playoff round, and that would have to be a monumental upset considering any team we faced first would be a juggernaut. We are not a contender so what's the point? This season is blown, they ought to be trying for the higher pick now and with any luck the necessary changes will be made for next season. Maybe then we could take a run at it.

I’ll put it a way you can relate to, Which goalie played the majority of the games in those last 3 series? He’s no longer on this team or a cancer in the dressing room. ha

Second, the early exit against the kings had nothing to do with a poor showing, We were just the unlucky team to face the kings in the first round. It didn’t matter if we faced them in the conference final, we still weren’t beating them. But I guess if that did happen we would stop hearing all the talk about an early exit that year.

I’ll put it a way you can relate to, Which goalie played the majority of the games in those last 3 series? He’s no longer on this team or a cancer in the dressing room. ha

Second, the early exit against the kings had nothing to do with a poor showing, We were just the unlucky team to face the kings in the first round. It didn’t matter if we faced them in the conference final, we still weren’t beating them. But I guess if that did happen we would stop hearing all the talk about an early exit that year.

Uh yeah...scoring 8 goals in 5 games was "unlucky"...Sometimes things sound right in your head but it's always best to take off your fanboy glasses before you throw out statements and proclaim them as facts.

Uh yeah...scoring 8 goals in 5 games was "unlucky"...Sometimes things sound right in your head but it's always best to take off your fanboy glasses before you throw out statements and proclaim them as facts.

We atleast took the kings to 5 games

What other team did better in the west??

Would it made you feel better if we lost to the king in 5 games in the conference finals?

But you had a good day tho...

NEXT please

Getting sick of these believe in the team whiners. You don't ever "give" up in sports but for people that have been diehard Canuck fans for decades I think they have the right to hope for a good draft pick after following this horrible season. Yeah, we might make it, but we probably won't ... get over it. It would be different if there was 3 games left and we needed to win all 3 with help but we are virtually done with 10 games left, on an injury riddled team, that was lacking completeness to begin with.

Stop criticizing people for using common sense. Please.

see that's what i don't understand cause lets assume we win the next 5 games going 5-0
our record 77 gp and 84 points

and at the same time PHX goes 3-5 losing the 5 against, nyr, njd, bos, fla, pit
record 77 gp and 83 points

DAL goes 4-5 losing against losing against, PHI, OTT, WSH, CAR, TAMPA
record 77 gp and 83 points

doesn't this mean we're in the race?

That's very true. The thing people don't get is that those percentage numbers don't really mean anything. If you win a game or two and the other teams lose a game or two your percentages change drastically and then that old percentage is meaningless. It also doesn't properly account for all the ties or the fact that hockey isn't random and can't be predicted in such a fashion.

How sad, that we have to use math to give ourselves hope. What the heck happened?, pulling the right threads and making changes over the last few years should have kept our competition level better than we have now. I love this team, but I feel that it has been poorly managed. Owners or GM need to change there mindset.

I counted up the other day, I've played in the vicinity of 80 full Hockey, Rugby, and Soccer seasons, add to that the 36 years I've been following the Canucks and I know as well as anyone that it's not over until it's over. However, I'm not a player and I'm getting a little tired of holding out hope when the chances are so slim. Combine that with our last couple years, the state of the team, the benefit of a high draft pick, and then missing the playoffs is not that bad, nor does it make you a bad fan.

If you're a 20 year old punk you're damn right you should be holding out hope until the very end. When you go through more adversity in your life and have the experience that the rest of us do then you can afford to be realistic and accept your fate.

PHX 69 GP 77 P

VAN 72 GP 74 P

72-69 = 3

77-74 = 3

Phoenix is 3 points up and has 3 games In hand

I find the whole '1.3%, 2%' etc thing exceedingly stupid tbh.

In the real world, teams sometimes go on 3 or 4 game winning or losing streaks.

A 3 game Phoenix/Dallas losing streak, and a 3 game Canucks win streak, and we're looking at pretty even odds.

Stranger things have happened. You never know - that's why it's absolutely essential to keep pushing every game until a team is literally out of it.

Archived