The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gender ruling: High Court recognises third category of sex

ftmN

I don't understand why people even care what another person classifies themselves as.

I'll play devil's advocate here for a second. You're right why should anyone care what you identify yourself as, much less the government? What purpose does introducing a third "sex" serve? It doesn't change the fact that you either have male or female sex organs or maybe both. So now what happens, do they create non-specific penitentiaries? Non-specific bathrooms/changeroom or does every establishment only use co-ed bathrooms/changerooms? Will their be non-specific sports teams? How about patdowns at public events? Every one I've been to uses security women for women and security men for men to avoid potential charges being laid. This legislation will just create the need for more legislation when there really doesn't need to be.

I have no qualms about whatever anyone wants to identify themselves as, but they have a word for that, it's called gender. Why are we trying to redefine sexes as a means to better identify our genders?

I've had a little think about it and decided that I don't like the ruling. You aren't neutral, you are born with either male or female organs and just because you decide to remove or change one of them shouldn't mean you should get your own classification.

It's not as simple as that mate , as i have pointed out some people are born with an ovary and a testicle , some females have a lot more testosterone than others , in some people the gender line is blurred.

I've had a little think about it and decided that I don't like the ruling. You aren't neutral, you are born with either male or female organs and just because you decide to remove or change one of them shouldn't mean you should get your own classification.

I don't 'care', I think it's just a bit stupid to have a classification of 'non-specific sex' when you were biologically either born as a man or a woman. 20 years ago the courts would have laughed and dismissed this case.

for someone who 'doesn't care,' you are choosing pretty strong language when you say self-classification and identification is STUPID and SHOULDN'T be allowed

for someone who 'doesn't care,' you are choosing pretty strong language when you say self-classification and identification is STUPID and SHOULDN'T be allowed

It's because I view this as bending the rules in a way, I'm all for freedom of speech but where do you draw the line? I think it's very different when you are born with different sexual organs but when you are born as a male then remove your natural organs why do you expect people to change their view of you and your 'category of sex'.

My preferred pronouns are "xer" and "xe" as opposed to her/she. I'm a trans* mtftm genderfluid queer pansexual fairykin and I feel oppressed by the white cis heterosexual human patriarchy for refusing to acknowledge my existence in the planning of infrastructure.

a/s(currently)/l?

It's because I view this as bending the rules in a way, I'm all for freedom of speech but where do you draw the line? I think it's very different when you are born with different sexual organs but when you are born as a male then remove your natural organs why do you expect people to change their view of you and your 'category of sex'.

so just to clarify: you DO care(?)

i'm not really sure what you mean by "where do you draw the line?" that just sounds like you're afraid of something or anticipate some negative possible outcome. to me the lines have already been drawn, this ruling is just a reflection of how those (already drawn) lines don't reflect the time we live in. the questions, then, should be who drew those lines? when, and why? not "omg what will those crazy trannies do to disrupt my understanding of the world next?!"

I'm transblack (born in the body of a South Asian/Caucasian mix but I identify as an African American).

My age in the astral dimension is 500, and generally my fairykin ages the equivalent of one human year in ten years. In the human world, I may or may not be 13.

I'm gender fluid, some days I identify more as a trans woman (in which case, please address me using fae or fer) and some other days I'm a transobese wolfman (xer/xe please).

My location depends on whether I'm busy as my astral being in the Carina Nebulae or overdosing on my prescribed lithium in the mundane human world. The systemic oppression by the white cis heteropatriarchy will have you believe I'm insane, in reality I'm just a neuroatypical being as stable as anyone.

And when I say I'm pansexual, I'm talking from humping amoeba to your twice deceased transgrandmother. I do not let societal oppression define my boundaries.

So, your a/s/l?

2.4 billion years old, indeterminate as I reproduce a-sexually through a form of photosynthesis and...I am everywhere...I am as the night.

But....ya know not a deal breaker, transgrandam born m or f?

Will determine the height of the children ya know

so just to clarify: you DO care(?)

i'm not really sure what you mean by "where do you draw the line?" that just sounds like you're afraid of something or anticipate some negative possible outcome. to me the lines have already been drawn, this ruling is just a reflection of how those (already drawn) lines don't reflect the time we live in. the questions, then, should be who drew those lines? when, and why? not "omg what will those crazy trannies do to disrupt my understanding of the world next?!"

When I say 'draw the line', I refer to changing sociological boundaries. Just because someone changes who they are as a person does not mean society needs to change in order to allow them to feel accepted, isn't that what this is all about. I have no problems with transgender people and never will. I do not care about how a person defines themselves. The reason I do care is when people change themselves, in this case biologically, and expect people to identify them in such a way. You either have XX or XY chromosomes.

When I say 'draw the line', I refer to changing sociological boundaries. Just because someone changes who they are as a person does not mean society needs to change in order to allow them to feel accepted, isn't that what this is all about. I have no problems with transgender people and never will. I do not care about how a person defines themselves. The reason I do care is when people change themselves, in this case biologically, and expect people to identify them in such a way. You either have XX or XY chromosomes.

i believe I was born with XXX chromosomes which would explain my browser history.

but why? why do you care if someone "expects" you to identify them in such a way? it makes absolutely no difference to anything, except when an individual is forced into categorization--which is often the case in various levels of government interaction. i doubt the person will go around flashing the papers every time someone calls him a "ma'am" or her a "sir"

i guess i just put more value in the intellectual or emotional development of an individual than i do in their chromosome makeup--as does the australian government

Sigh. And not a single applause from you to my brave coming out as a transfat transblack fairykin.

I cri irl srsly

I thought you were being serious!

Also, after standing around in the sun all day my mental capacity caps out at archer/potty humor.

but why? why do you care if someone "expects" you to identify them in such a way? it makes absolutely no difference to anything, except when an individual is forced into categorization--which is often the case in various levels of government interaction. i doubt the person will go around flashing the papers every time someone calls him a "ma'am" or her a "sir"

i guess i just put more value in the intellectual or emotional development of an individual than i do in their chromosome makeup--as does the australian government

So he forced himself to have a sex change? He surgically altered himself. I would never judge a person based on how they define their identity and currently work with someone who is trans-gender.

So he forced himself to have a sex change? He surgically altered himself. I would never judge a person based on how they define their identity and currently work with someone who is trans-gender.

then what's the problem? my point was that none of this even concerns you. it's about how the government sees and documents its citizens. THAT is where forced categorization happens. you don't walk down the street categorizing the sex and gender of all around you with a conscious judgment, do you? probably not, so i just don't see why this is an issue

this person goes out to get a driver's license (or whatever), is able to tick "non-specific" and be on with it. that's really all that happened, as far as i can tell

then what's the problem? my point was that none of this even concerns you. it's about how the government sees and documents its citizens. THAT is where forced categorization happens. you don't walk down the street categorizing the sex and gender of all around you with a conscious judgment, do you? probably not, so i just don't see why this is an issue

this person goes out to get a driver's license (or whatever), is able to tick "non-specific" and be on with it. that's really all that happened, as far as i can tell

So we do agree then, lol. I never said it affected or concerns me in anyway, I only disliked the fact that someone who chooses to alters themselves gets the 'non-specific' tick of approval. Things like this is how it starts, is all I am saying.

I'm transblack (born in the body of a South Asian/Caucasian mix but I identify as an African American).

My age in the astral dimension is 500, and generally my fairykin ages the equivalent of one human year in ten years. In the human world, I may or may not be 13.

I'm gender fluid, some days I identify more as a trans woman (in which case, please address me using fae or fer) and some other days I'm a transobese wolfman (xer/xe please).

My location depends on whether I'm busy as my astral being in the Carina Nebulae or overdosing on my prescribed lithium in the mundane human world. The systemic oppression by the white cis heteropatriarchy will have you believe I'm insane, in reality I'm just a neuroatypical being as stable as anyone.

And when I say I'm pansexual, I'm talking from humping amoeba to your twice deceased transgrandmother. I do not let societal oppression define my boundaries.

So, your a/s/l?

I am also neuroaptypical transwizard as I identify as a fireball shooting magic wielding kind of guy but I sometimes go transjedi as well so depending on how I am feeling I should be addressed as "deathbolt" or "jedi master" depending on how much I have been drinking.

However, since this is not accepted by most people I tend when talking to family, coworkers, bosses and clients I just go by the old term of "crazy" and then use a jedi mind trick to convince them that it's a positive quality.

What's "funny" about this is that anyone that actually knows me would know that I am in fact telling the truth right now.

Archived