The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I like that Benning said he wants to play an up tempo, high speed, high pressure game. I don't think anyone else in the NHL is trying to play an up-tempo game, we will be unique. And we sure have the horses to play an up tempo game with the Sedins as our star forwards- I mean who is faster on the counter attack then the Sedins? And of course, they are getting faster each year with all their training.

I like that Benning said he wants to play an up tempo, high speed, high pressure game. I don't think anyone else in the NHL is trying to play an up-tempo game, we will be unique. And we sure have the horses to play an up tempo game with the Sedins as our star forwards- I mean who is faster on the counter attack then the Sedins? And of course, they are getting faster each year with all their training.

I dont think sarcasm makes you look very smart. You should stop.

Haha really? I think the opposite

I dont think sarcasm makes you look very smart. You should stop.

Who looks dumber me or Benning up to now? I can't think of one pronouncement that he made that I can call 'smart'. Do you think it's smart of him to say he wants a high tempo team? #1 tell us something that not every manager says, and #2 how do you plan to do that with an old and slow team?

Who looks dumber me or Benning up to now? I can't think of one pronouncement that he made that I can call 'smart'. Do you think it's smart of him to say he wants a high tempo team? #1 tell us something that not every manager says, and #2 how do you plan to do that with an old and slow team?

Wtf are you rambling about? If this is a troll job, you are very weak at it. If these are the actual thoughts that rattle around your skull,then I feel sorry for you. Either way I do not think I will pay you much more attention.

Wtf are you rambling about? If this is a troll job, you are very weak at it. If these are the actual thoughts that rattle around your skull,then I feel sorry for you. Either way I do not think I will pay you much more attention.

well then let's keep it simple, what has impressed you about Benning up to now?

I heard he's going to juggle hot coal at the combine to try to impress idiots like you

Um .. if I had to answer, I would say Benning has not looked 'dumb' at all .. where that leaves you is moot.

Since you asked, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you sound dumber.

Even if you were to isolate the Sedins (average) speed as two of the slower players on the team, that alone does not preclude an up-tempo game. Your point is actually a really weak one. It doesn't take a genius or a Scotty Bowman to realize that the puck actually moves faster than any player is capable of skating - so a significant aspect of up-tempo hockey is actually puck movement, something that is an elite aspect of the Sedin's game.

Second, another aspect of up-tempo hockey is actually the consistency with which the team applies pressure and pushes the pace of the game. It may not occur to you that the Sedins also possess elite conditioning - are capable of sustaining their pace for significant periods - and have many, many times sustained exceedingly long periods of possession where they have simply gassed their opponents. Combine that elite puck movement and conditioning.....and up tempo is not as simple as you conceive it.

Even if you were to isolate the Sedins (average) speed as two of the slower players on the team, that alone does not preclude an up-tempo game. Your point is actually a really weak one. It doesn't take a genius or a Scotty Bowman to realize that the puck actually moves faster than any player is capable of skating - so a significant aspect of up-tempo hockey is actually puck movement, something that is an elite aspect of the Sedin's game.

Second, another aspect of up-tempo hockey is actually the consistency with which the team applies pressure and pushes the pace of the game. It may not occur to you that the Sedins also possess elite conditioning - are capable of sustaining their pace for significant periods - and have many, many times sustained exceedingly long periods of possession where they have simply gassed their opponents. Combine that elite puck movement and conditioning.....and up tempo is not as simple as you conceive it.

This +1

you

Jim Benning, Vancouver Canucks new GM talks about breaking into NHL scouting, his philosophy on the game, and coming back to Vancouver.

Thanks for posting those Vintage.

Damn that guy is likeable.

Interesting that he was a Winterhawk..... and that Mike Johnston is knocking on the door of an NHL job.

Thanks for posting those Vintage.

Damn that guy is likeable.

Interesting that he was a Winterhawk..... and that Mike Johnston is knocking on the door of an NHL job.

Anyone else remember the "Cooperalls" ? Still not sure if I like them or not, even thirty years later :))

I get the feeling benning could make a deal with Boston for Kesler, move down in draft day, and trade a goalie and pick off a couple key ufas from his buffalo days Vanek and Miller...

Will be Interesting

That makes no sense for Boston, they don't need another center. Plus Kesler wouldn't waive to Boston nor could they fit him under the cap.

Listen my points were that up to now the two key statements from Benning, I mean other than "I will have to get used to the rain again" are that he really likes the core of the team and that he wants to play an up tempo game. The Sedins may have 'elite' conditioning but they are slow, you can spin it the way you want, they can't counterattack with speed, which is at the heart of the uptempo game. If you think the uptempo game is to cycle until you wear out your opponents, I think you misunderstand the concept. Plus, it's not just the Sedins who are not fast, it's Burrows, it's Higgins, it's Bieksa, it's Hamhuis... The Canucks as a team are one of the slowest in the league, you can argue that if you want but it's easy to see when you watch the games. So, my point is that I am not impressed with a new GM that really likes a core that is spent and over the hill and given that, wants to employ a style of play not suited to that group.

Archived