The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Kassian Get Top 6 Time Next Year?

DylanA

Honestly, I think it's the exact opposite. I think Kassian's potential was breaking through Tort's offensively suffocating system. His game improved when he was demoted alongside defensively responsible players like Richardson who could cover up for his silly mistakes. He needs to be fed offensive zone time so that his confidence blossoms and even though he isn't afraid to make the risky passes now they're a 50/50 chance of making it. With higher ice time he'll definitely learn which passes to make and which to hold back on. With that being said he NEEDS to be Kesler's winger next year. A selke center and veteran UFA left winger would be the perfect scenario for him to really show what he's got.

A selke center... lol, what was his + - last year? The year befor? The year before that? He's far removed from a selke center.

I think Torts did very well with Kassian. He got him to drive his own offense, rather than feeding off others. He wasn't wacking in rebounds, nor just shooting off silky passes. He was getting the puck, getting it down the ice, digging it out, getting it on net, and then wacking it in. That's what we need from him, and think he would be a great fit with Kesler next season.

Problem is he's not smart enough to play with the twins and him and Kes are a trainwreck. Obviously that leaves Kass the odd man out, so unless there are drastic changes the answer is probly not.. He wasn't good enough until the last few weeks of the season anyways. Hopefully he can start where he left off next season.

Now that Torts is getting canned its the return of the Kumbaya Canucks and Mason Raymonds coming back.

Kassian and Sestito play too physical to have a future in Vancouver.

I expect both gone soon,

Zack Kassian for Mason Raymond is a deal i could see this team making.

heres your next years TOP 6 Canucks fans

Daniel-Henrik-Hansen

Mason Raymond-J.Schroeder-Burrows

this will get the fanbase excited and take us deep in the playoffs. Nice guys. Kumbaya.

There's no doubt that he should have got at least spot minutes with Kesler this year, but no, Torts had to stick with his program. I'm not saying it wasn't beneficial to Kassian in some ways, but it was way too rigid. As of December, Kassian's play was steadily improving on a team that seriously struggled to score after the new year. Any coach who allocated opportunity fairly would have given Kassian more top-six minutes, be it with Kesler or the Sedins. That he didn't contributed to the tank-job that was this past season. Hardly what you would expect from a coach brought in under a "win now" mandate. Worse still, we don't know how this year's Kassian would fit on either of our top two lines, which means that we'll be making moves in the off season without having assessed the prospects for internal renewal of our roster. This is unforgivable from an organizational point of view and fully justifies the firings of both Tortorella and Gillis.

He definitely deserves a chance. He's got huge potential if given more minutes with the right linemates. It all depends on how the line-up shakes out next year (who's traded/bought out/signed/young guns, etc.).

If Kassian plays the way he's been playing for the last stretch, then yes. The Canucks have a 30 point Kassian and I would not be surprised if he hit the 50-60 mark by next year.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - JENSEN

E. KANE - STATSNY - KASSIAN

HIGGINS - MATTHIAS - HANSEN

SESTITO - RICHARDSON - LAIN

S. WEBER - HAMHUIS

GARRISON - BIEKSA

STANTON - TANEV

ALBERTS

LACK

Backup

That was at the beginning of the year when he didn't really start to piece it together...even then it was for what a game or two? Jensen looked terrible the first few games he was with the Sedins....yet he's still on there...

Kassian deserves every shot to be on the top 6 next year.

Why does everyone keep penciling Kane on their LW.......if we're getting Kane we're losing Kesler or Horvat at minimum. LOL CDC is LALA land when it comes to dream rosters.

Stop dreaming it's not happening. If it happens, I'll change myname to...IateLindensShorts for the whole year next year, but it won't so stop being so damn ridiculous.

They're no more ridiculous than you failing to see that Kassian has had ample time in the top 6 and has failed to develop chemistry with anybody. He doesn't have the hockey sense to cycle with the sedins, and watching him and Kes try and both play the same role at the same time is hilarious.

So I would say to you, stop dreaming, unless there are drastic changes and the sedins or kes are shipped out it's not going to happen. Even if Kassian may finally deserve a shot to be a full time top 6 player.

Archived