The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MDSF: (2) New York Rangers vs (3) Philadelphia Flyers

Who will win the series?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Full Schedule:

Rangers vs. Flyers
Thursday, April 17 at 7 p.m. at NY Rangers (CNBC, TSN)
Sunday, April 20 at Noon at NY Rangers (NBC, TSN)
Tuesday, April 22 at 8 p.m. at Philadelphia (CNBC, TSN)
Friday, April 25 at 7 p.m. at Philadelphia (CNBC, TSN)
*Sunday, April 27 at Noon at NY Rangers (NBC, TSN)
*Tuesday, April 29 at TBD at Philadelphia (TSN)
*Wednesday, April 30 at TBD at NY Rangers (TSN)

Who's talking about forwards?

Rangers D and goaltending >>>> Flyers

I think Rangers are going to surprise a lot of people. My dark horse pick for making it to the ECFs.

I think this is the year the Flyers show stereotypical fans that they are wrong about history not changing. People dismiss Mason because of his CBJ history but ignore his numbers a Flyer. .944 save percent his first year and .917 % in his first full season and has been even hotter since February.

Plus the Rangers defense has been lower because they don't take penalties. Yet a 7 game series against Philly with them battering them. They may stray above that average ;)

VOORHEES, N.J. -- Steve Mason kept the Philadelphia Flyers afloat when they struggled early in the season. Now they may have to start the playoffs without their No. 1 goalie.

Mason practiced for 15 minutes before leaving the ice Tuesday, three days after he sustained an upper-body injury during a collision against Pittsburgh. Coach Craig Berube was uncertain whether Mason will play against the New York Rangers on Thursday night in Game 1 of their playoff series

"I thought he looked decent," Berube said, adding that Mason's brief appearance at practice was planned. "He came out there for a little bit and got some work in, and I thought he looked pretty good."

General manager Paul Holmgren refused to discuss specifics about Mason's injury. He also declined to rule out whether it was a concussion."We're at a critical time of our season and I don't feel I need to divulge what's wrong with a player," Holmgren said.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449445

I think this is the year the Flyers show stereotypical fans that they are wrong about history not changing. People dismiss Mason because of his CBJ history but ignore his numbers a Flyer. .944 save percent his first year and .917 % in his first full season and has been even hotter since February.

Plus the Rangers defense has been lower because they don't take penalties. Yet a 7 game series against Philly with them battering them. They may stray above that average ;)

Doubt the rangers are worried about taking more penalties with Hartnell guaranteed to take at least 1 every game

Ray Emery to start game 1 for the Flyers with Mason still shaken up. To his credit he has played much better down the stretch to end the season but still a little nervous with him in net for game 1 as the Rangers did rock him the 1 time he played them this year.

Doubt the rangers are worried about taking more penalties with Hartnell guaranteed to take at least 1 every game

I said it earlier in the thread that is Philadelphia's brand of hockey. They play a hard annoying style of hockey and take runs, hacks, and extra hits on opposing players. Occasionally they do take penalties for this but more often than not the other team gets annoyed and starts doing it back. This results in games that are won and lost on special teams. Philadelphia has been short handed the 2nd most of any team in the NHL but make up for it by having more Power Play opportunities than any other team in the NHL. With the #8PP and the #7PK they can get away with this.

As far as the Rangers not taking penalties...

Rangers Avg. PIM's Per Game vs NHL: 10 Minutes (9th lowest overall)

Rangers Avg. PIM's Per Game vs Flyers: 26:45 Minutes

The two games the Flyers won the Rangers had more PIMs than the Flyers.

The two games the Rangers won the Flyers had tied them in PIMs in 1 and had more in the other.

Which is why I originally said the winner will be who dictates the play. Philly will be all over the Rangers physical and if the Rangers retaliate they will be playing into the Flyers game and likely lose (part of why Pittsburgh gets dominated by Philly they can't help themselves). But if the Rangers bite down and just take the bruises they will win the series.

Here are the current injuries (Game 1 means they will be back for Game 1 FOR SURE, Round 1 means they will be back at some point in the Round whether that be Game 1 or not!):

- Rangers Chris Kreider (Round 2), Ryan McDonagh (Game 1)

- Flyers Nicklas Grossman (Game 1), G Steve Mason (Round 1), Steve Downie (Round 1)

Rangers in 4. Phili needs to trade for Kesler.

Unless the reports were wrong Philadelphia was not on Kesler's list which would kill any deal to them.

Even if they got swept I am unsure if they would see Kesler as an answer given the forward development. It would likely fall on Steve Mason's injury and/or a lack of a true #1 defender hence the reports that they were more interested in Edler than Kesler.

Archived