The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

LOL this guy pisses me off.
Mason Raymond isn't even a player comparable - he's not even a good player at the NHL level.
Choose somebody more well known - and NOT a Canuck. The only players we can use to compare to young talent are the Sedins, Burrows (who Brendan lemieux is VERY much like) and Kesler. Maybe Hamhuis.

So does Ehlers feel like a Benning guy? Just curious now that he's officially in. Is he known to trade down, or is trading down something that regularly happens with top 10 picks?

Ehlers has been pretty consistent all year, pretty good. Between him and Nylander from the sounds of it.

Not sold on Ritchie, all I hear is he is big and has a wicked shot. Sounds like Kassian. Virtanen wasn't considered a #6 pick and with his injury is 10-15 range, at least in my books.

Nylander sounds like Hodg, daddy problems. Unless I am thinking someone else.

Honestly I'd rather trade down or select Ehlers. Unless a top 5 drops. I heard Dal Colle hates Van, if true f*** that guy. Lindros situation isn't cool.

LOL this guy pisses me off.

Mason Raymond isn't even a player comparable - he's not even a good player at the NHL level.

Choose somebody more well known - and NOT a Canuck. The only players we can use to compare to young talent are the Sedins, Burrows (who Brendan lemieux is VERY much like) and Kesler. Maybe Hamhuis.

Do you think that just might be the point of his posts?

So does Ehlers feel like a Benning guy? Just curious now that he's officially in. Is he known to trade down, or is trading down something that regularly happens with top 10 picks?

Ehlers has been pretty consistent all year, pretty good. Between him and Nylander from the sounds of it.

Not sold on Ritchie, all I hear is he is big and has a wicked shot. Sounds like Kassian. Virtanen wasn't considered a #6 pick and with his injury is 10-15 range, at least in my books.

Nylander sounds like Hodg, daddy problems. Unless I am thinking someone else.

Honestly I'd rather trade down or select Ehlers. Unless a top 5 drops. I heard Dal Colle hates Van, if true f*** that guy. Lindros situation isn't cool.

I have tried my hardest to deduce who our best choice is at #6. Obviously Dal Colle or Daisraitl are if they fall.

If the top 5 go as planned , then to me I concluded its Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie. I would be surprised to see Benning chose any other player at #6 as in my opinon those are the 3 best players avail at that spot.

I can predict that without a trade or the top 5 falling, a 80% chance he picks one of those three. That may not be a very accurate or bold prediction but its the best one I can make using an intelligent guess.

He's a she.

One problem. If we draft Nylander we will have the Sedin sisters, and girly mon Nylander on this team. Is that what Benning wants this team to be? :lol: JK. I love the Sedins as players, and I'm sure Nylander will grow some facial hair someday.

One problem. If we draft Nylander we will have the Sedin sisters, and girly mon Nylander on this team. Is that what Benning wants this team to be? :lol: JK. I love the Sedins as players, and I'm sure Nylander will grow some facial hair someday.

I know Gretzky had a baby face and didnt look like a hockey player when he entered the league, but that doesnt help me when looking at Nylander. He looks softer then a bucket of imperial.

Pretty sure we arent taking Ehlers but its still funny.

I am the biggest Ehlers supporter on here, and I have no idea if we are drafting him or not. I have a pretty good educated guess of whom we might pick.

I say there is an 80% chance we pick Ehlers, Ritchie or Nylander. I cant see us drafting anyone else at that position if none of the top 5 drop.

So to say you are pretty sure we arent drafting the guy is not a very credible statement. You cant possibly know that. You are 'hedging your bets' . Gambling if you will with a better than 50% chance of guessing right.

Telling people what WONT happen is not some kind of keen insight. I am dead certain the Sabres will not win the cup next year. You can quote me on it!!! Willie Mitchell will NOT win the Norris next year. Just remember you heard it here first. ;)

Why dont you tell us who you DO think they will draft. My 80% certainty of 3 players may not seem like a crystal ball, but its the most I can go without outright guessing.

I am the biggest Ehlers supporter on here, and I have no idea if we are drafting him or not. I have a pretty good educated guess of whom we might pick.

I say there is an 80% chance we pick Ehlers, Ritchie or Nylander. I cant see us drafting anyone else at that position if none of the top 5 drop.

So to say you are pretty sure we arent drafting the guy is not a very credible statement. You cant possibly know that. You are 'hedging your bets' . Gambling if you will with a better than 50% chance of guessing right.

Telling people what WONT happen is not some kind of keen insight. I am dead certain the Sabres will not win the cup next year. You can quote me on it!!! Willie Mitchell will NOT win the Norris next year. Just remember you heard it here first. ;)

Why dont you tell us who you DO think they will draft. My 80% certainty of 3 players may not seem like a crystal ball, but its the most I can go without outright guessing.

K well if none of the Top 5 drop and we dont take 1. Ritchie or 2. Virtanen, I will come into this thread and admit I was arrogant and wrong. Dont think I have to worry much about doing that though. Ehlers is fast and talented but we have Shinkaruk already. Same position and same player almost.

K well if none of the Top 5 drop and we dont take 1. Ritchie or 2. Virtanen, I will come into this thread and admit I was arrogant and wrong. Dont think I have to worry much about doing that though. Ehlers is fast and talented but we have Shinkaruk already. Same position and same player almost.

+1 :)

You dont need to say you were arrogant or anything else. You feel strongly about these two. I respect that. Your feelings are just as valid as anyone elses.

Damn I wish the others would take this same attitude instead of fight all the time.

Edit: I have decided to add in some context so you know where I am coming from.

Ehlers is not the same player as Shinkaruk. They are both under 6ft (Ehlers might be there now) fast wingers who can score and are dynamic. However, the similarities end at that point.

Ehlers is bigger and faster. He is also a natural right handed shot playing the left wing. He is just as adept at right wing, which we are sorely lacking. He plays his off wing due to a personnel issue within the Mooseheads lineup more that a personal preference of Ehlers. Shinkaruk can also play center as well. He has a better shot than Ehlers even though both are dynamic goal scorers.

Nylander is a center /mastermind. The only guy we even remotely have like that is Henrik Sedin. We have no prospect like him at all . We sorely need high end talent like that. I dont like him as much as Ehlers because he may have played NA hockey until age 14, he played his whole junior career on the big ice which enhances his strengths of playmaking and diminishes his lack of physical play. Ehlers proved his worth in the CHL.

So I have specific reasons why I pick these two from an organizational point of view. I pick Ritchie third because we already have Zack Kassian as a true power forward. I dont know too many teams who carry two true power forwards. I dont have an issue with it but the canucks are not a small team. We just picked up Matthias who is only 26 years old . We have lots of size per se. Its not a huge need.

However I like him far more than Virtanen . This is what I wanted to ask you. If we dont pick Ritchie, why would they pick Virtanen.

I see why they would pick Nylander if they dont pick Ehlers, but why would they pass up Ritchie........to take Virtanen? What possible purpose would that serve. Ritchie is the better prospect period and both have similar attributes.

+1 :)

You dont need to say you were arrogant or anything else. You feel strongly about these two. I respect that. Your feelings are just as valid as anyone elses.

Damn I wish the others would take this same attitude instead of fight all the time.

Edit: I have decided to add in some context so you know where I am coming from.

Ehlers is not the same player as Shinkaruk. They are both under 6ft (Ehlers might be there now) fast wingers who can score and are dynamic. However, the similarities end at that point.

Ehlers is bigger and faster. He is also a natural right handed shot playing the left wing. He is just as adept at right wing, which we are sorely lacking. He plays his off wing due to a personnel issue within the Mooseheads lineup more that a personal preference of Ehlers. Shinkaruk can also play center as well. He has a better shot than Ehlers even though both are dynamic goal scorers.

Nylander is a center /mastermind. The only guy we even remotely have like that is Henrik Sedin. We have no prospect like him at all . We sorely need high end talent like that. I dont like him as much as Ehlers because he may have played NA hockey until age 14, he played his whole junior career on the big ice which enhances his strengths of playmaking and diminishes his lack of physical play. Ehlers proved his worth in the CHL.

So I have specific reasons why I pick these two from an organizational point of view. I pick Ritchie third because we already have Zack Kassian as a true power forward. I dont know too many teams who carry two true power forwards. I dont have an issue with it but the canucks are not a small team. We just picked up Matthias who is only 26 years old . We have lots of size per se. Its not a huge need.

However I like him far more than Virtanen . This is what I wanted to ask you. If we dont pick Ritchie, why would they pick Virtanen.

I see why they would pick Nylander if they dont pick Ehlers, but why would they pass up Ritchie........to take Virtanen? What possible purpose would that serve. Ritchie is the better prospect period and both have similar attributes.

Ehlers being a right handed shot makes him a bit more attractive, but I still dont believe management will select him with a 6th overall. If im right he will go 7-10th. I dont know about anyone else but Shinkaruk will not be a center in the NHL hes going to be a left winger. You want your centers to have some size.

Nylander would go top 1-3 if he had the heart of a lion. By all accounts though he does not possess that quality, and thats why he will probably go 10-12th.

I know you like Ritchie but have Ehlers and Nylander ahead of him. Imagine if Ritchie gets an NHL trainer and an NHL diet, he will look pretty damn good with that frame and those puck skills for a big man. Who cares if we have Kassian they play different wings. I smell a good, young 2nd line in a few years of Ritchie, Horvat and Kassian who could thrive in post season wars. Virtanen getting hurt may or may not hurt his draft status. He could have been the canucks pick until he under went relatively serious shoulder surgery. Still a dynamic goal scorer with speed and size who id take over Nylander or Ehlers.

Nice write up Elbow.

There is no reason why Ritchie cannot thrive in the NHL. I am not going to cry a river if we pick him. If we pick anyone other than those 3 , I would be disappointed at #6 (assuming Dal Colle and Daisaitl are gone)

My question is this;

If Linden / Benning pass up on Ritchie, wouldnt it be to get an elite level scorer ? Ergo Ehlers/ Nylander?

What would their rationale to pass up Ritchie.............for the sake of taking Virtanen? Ritchie is a bigger version of Virtanen and has a high hockey IQ.

No we dont want a huge winger with an excellent shot and fairly high IQ............we want the same physical winger who is smaller but is slightly faster with a noticeably lower IQ ? :huh:

This is why for me the Canucks will not pick Virtanen. He offers nothing that Ritchie, Ehlers and Nylander can also offer. Ritchie for the power winger. Ehlers for his amazing talents, or Nylander for his brains and skill .

Nice write up Elbow.

There is no reason why Ritchie cannot thrive in the NHL. I am not going to cry a river if we pick him. If we pick anyone other than those 3 , I would be disappointed at #6 (assuming Dal Colle and Daisaitl are gone)

My question is this;

If Linden / Benning pass up on Ritchie, wouldnt it be to get an elite level scorer ? Ergo Ehlers/ Nylander?

What would their rationale to pass up Ritchie.............for the sake of taking Virtanen? Ritchie is a bigger version of Virtanen and has a high hockey IQ.

No we dont want a huge winger with an excellent shot and fairly high IQ............we want the same physical winger who is smaller but is slightly faster with a noticeably lower IQ ? :huh:

This is why for me the Canucks will not pick Virtanen. He offers nothing that Ritchie, Ehlers and Nylander can also offer. Ritchie for the power winger. Ehlers for his amazing talents, or Nylander for his brains and skill .

I think your looking at it wrong each player brings something different to the table

Ehlers - a skilled goal scorer with great speed and hands.

Comparable - Kessel

Virtanen - A fast skating, rough playing goal scorer

Comparable - E.Kane

Nylander - A highly gifted visionary with great play making ability

Comparable - Backstrom

Ritchie - A big powerforward who uses size to dominate his competition.

Comparable - Benn

Just because I have Kessel doesn't mean I don't want backstrom aswell, Same with Kane and Benn

Archived