The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

I want him, I want the Canucks to take a risk on him but not at #6.

I don't want Nylander because I don't think he has what it takes to make it in the NHL and that is from watching him play. Yes he is skilled but it ends there. He's weak, whiny, and very tiny out there. He plays that way as well and shys away from any rough stuff.

Ehlers wouldn't be a horrible pick but I think he is a very risky pick as well.

Ritchie, I don't like him very much because he is a risky pick.

One of the top 5, please drop or please trade up Benning!

I want him, I want the Canucks to take a risk on him but not at #6.

I don't want Nylander because I don't think he has what it takes to make it in the NHL and that is from watching him play. Yes he is skilled but it ends there. He's weak, whiny, and very tiny out there. He plays that way as well and shys away from any rough stuff.

Ehlers wouldn't be a horrible pick but I think he is a very risky pick as well.

Ritchie, I don't like him very much because he is a risky pick.

One of the top 5, please drop or please trade up Benning!

Why is Ritchie riskier then Ehlers to you?

Injuries. Shoulder and concussion? But Ehlers being tossed around like a ragdoll doesn't lead me to believe that he'll be impervious.

Virtanen had 3 fewer points than Ritchie this past season and was the best Canadian U18 player despite a shoulder ailment. He's still ranked fairly high because of his elite speed and shot. He's also quite a bit younger. The shoulder injury will be a total non-factor.

For all this 'low hockey IQ' talk, the Red Line Report had that ranked B-. Sounds irrelevant to me. Size, speed and shot are way more important factors anyway.

Injuries. Shoulder and concussion? But Ehlers being tossed around like a ragdoll doesn't lead me to believe that he'll be impervious.

Virtanen had 3 fewer points than Ritchie this past season and was the best Canadian U18 player despite a shoulder ailment. He's still ranked fairly high because of his elite speed and shot. He's also quite a bit younger. The shoulder injury will be a total non-factor.

For all this 'low hockey IQ' talk, the Red Line Report had that ranked B-. Sounds irrelevant to me. Size, speed and shot are way more important factors anyway.

Who cares if he gets tossed around? Gallagher gets tossed around every shift but still contributes to the team. Give me Ehlers over a brain dead Virtanen every day of the week

Or rather, give you Gallagher over Ehlers any day of the weak?

Ehlers is working out to gain as much mass as possible. Unfortunately his frame is awkward, so there's only so much we can expect in that department.

But does this matter? Well, yes.

I find it funny when some Canucks fans complain how their team gets physically dominated in playoffs after playoffs, yet drop all that come draft time to hype up some other physical non-factor. Oh, this guy's skill will be awesome to watch! ... Until the games actually matter.

Suggestion: Look at what's actually happening.

Nobody who put up numbers like Ehlers did in their draft year since the lock out in the QMJHL busted at all. Worst case is 2nd liner Derrick Brassard. Best case is Crosby :P but realistically Drouin , Girioux and MacKinnon. Huberdeau is a rangy player with a different skill set at center. Ehlers is as bust proof as any prospect in the draft if there ever was such a thing as 'bust proof'.

Ritchie's predecessors do not have the same luck. However we then have to look at what 'bust means'. If it means Lucic style power forward with upside, then the chances of bust are better than 50/50. If it means he cant even get a job as a 4th line enforcer? Then the odds of him busting are virtually nill.

Hes to big and talented to be an outright bust. Big guys like this who outright bust cant skate to save their lives.

Nobody who put up numbers like Ehlers did in their draft year since the lock out in the QMJHL busted at all. Worst case is 2nd liner Derrick Brassard. Best case is Crosby :P but realistically Drouin , Girioux and MacKinnon. Huberdeau is a rangy player with a different skill set at center. Ehlers is as bust proof as any prospect in the draft if there ever was such a thing as 'bust proof'.

Ritchie's predecessors do not have the same luck. However we then have to look at what 'bust means'. If it means Lucic style power forward with upside, then the chances of bust are better than 50/50. If it means he cant even get a job as a 4th line enforcer? Then the odds of him busting are virtually nill.

Hes to big and talented to be an outright bust. Big guys like this who outright bust cant skate to save their lives.

realistically Drouin, Giroux and Mackinnon? How is this guy not going number 1 then?

Well I actually said that Ehlers is riskier but I guess I'll go into more depth.

I feel that Ritchie is a risky pick because there are a lot of Sestitos in the NHL and not a lot of Milan Lucic's skating around. He has had issues with his weight and has a history with injuries. I think he is a safer pick than Ehlers because his floor is higher. He could be an effective bottom six player if he busts, but you don't pick effective bottom six players at #6.

Ehlers, there is the lack of size and the dependency on skill and speed only. Yes he has shown that he can be physical, but that is against players in his own age group and size. The NHL is a different league and he will be pushed around a lot. His floor is a lot lower than Ritchies, as if he doesn't become a bonafide top 6 forward, he won't be playing in the NHL. There is no guarantee that his offense will translate to the NHL level and although I haven't watched him play that often, watching highlight videos of him and the way he scores goals, I am not all that impressed. A lot of tap ins into open goals set up by teammates.

I think Ritchie and Ehlers are both very raw and predicting their potential is very difficult.

I like Virtanen because he feels like a safer pick. This shoulder surgery is nothing serious. He will be in the WHL again next year whether or not he was injured over summer or not. It won't slow down his development much. Listening to what Benning and Linden want Canucks players to be like, Jake Virtanen fits the bill.

I still hope the Canucks are lucky and have one of the top 5s drop like I said in my post and then pick up Virtanen with the 10th pick received in a trade with Anaheim (maybe 24th as well - Sanheim). If they manage to do that we will be looking very good for the future.

Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Bennett, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Jensen, Gaunce (Forward Prospects)

Corrado, Cederholm, Hutton, McNally, Subban, Sanheim (Defensive Prospects)

Or rather, give you Gallagher over Ehlers any day of the weak?

Ehlers is working out to gain as much mass as possible. Unfortunately his frame is awkward, so there's only so much we can expect in that department.

But does this matter? Well, yes.

I find it funny when some Canucks fans complain how their team gets physically dominated in playoffs after playoffs, yet drop all that come draft time to hype up some other physical non-factor. Oh, this guy's skill will be awesome to watch! ... Until the games actually matter.

Suggestion: Look at what's actually happening.

Most Canucks fans don't have a clue of what they're talking about. Some have even suggested on here that Ehlers will top out at 6' 190 lbs. The reality is genetics play a major role in how big or how much muscle a person can reasonably gain. Certain body types will only allow so much weight gain. No matter how much weight training they do, they will never go beyond a certain plateau.

so it would be fair to say Ritchie put up 74 points while fighting through a concussion and a shoulder injury?

I think we could get amazing value trading down. A lot of scouts have him hovering around 10. Trade our pick for a 1st and 2nd or a b/c prospect. Or try and swing two 1sts from Anaheim and Theodore for Kes and Hansen or something. I'm thinking we might trade our 1st though.

realistically Drouin, Giroux and Mackinnon? How is this guy not going number 1 then?

No but he could very well go 5th or 6th. Giroux went 22nd but should have gone in Brassards 6th spot and vice versa.

Mac Kinnon went 1st but Drouin went 3rd. Fifth or 6th isnt that much different and they all played on the same team.

Most Canucks fans don't have a clue of what they're talking about. Some have even suggested on here that Ehlers will top out at 6' 190 lbs. The reality is genetics play a major role in how big or how much muscle a person can reasonably gain. Certain body types will only allow so much weight gain. No matter how much weight training they do, they will never go beyond a certain plateau.

Stopped reading after this. You dont know either.

so it would be fair to say Ritchie put up 74 points while fighting through a concussion and a shoulder injury?

I still have no idea what Virtanen brings to the game that Ritchie does not other than he is faster in an icing foot race. Ritchie has better size and skill in every other way including the most important. Hockey IQ

Archived